Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • SRAM Shifter dismantling – anything I should know first?
  • MaryHinge
    Free Member

The little plug that covers the cable insert hole was mashed on my X7 shifter, so I had to push firmly on it to get it to turn.

I then found out that if you push a bit too hard you can actually push the plug into the shifter. Dang!

So I've gotta take the cover off to get the plug out, so that I can change the cable and use the shifter again.

I know there'sd all sorts of springs and gubbins in there, so any tips before I give it some spanners?

warton
    Free Member

it should all stay together, my x9 did

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I'll give it a go tomorrow night then 😕

Look out for the " how do I put all this back together" thread tomorrow :lol:.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

I've re-set sram shifters a few times, mainly to get the indicator bar in the right place.

You are right to be cautious because if you do knock a spring it will launch into semi orbit.

My top tips would,

* Do the whole job over something like a clean shoe box, that way you contain anything you drop and limit the travel of any parts.

* Use a magnetic tip screwdriver to remove the top cover, this allow you to keep hold of the shifter with one hand, unscrew the top and retain the scres.

* Take the cover of gently and look at where everything is.

Chances are doing the whole thing gently there will be no problem. have fun….

MaryHinge
    Free Member

No problem in the end.

Removed the 4 cover screws, carefully lifted the cover, nothing went boing, removed the offending plug, replaced the cover. Simples.

Phew!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Shifter dismantling – anything I should know first?’ is closed to new replies.