Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • SRAM road front mech swappable with Shimano?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Running an Apex front mech (compact double with 11-32) – I would presume I could run it with a Ultegra/105 double?

njee20
    Free Member

Wouldn’t like to say.

Older (5600/6600/7800) Shimano front mechs are not compatible with newer (5700/6700/7900) shifters, and vice versa, as they changed the cable pull.

I’d not like to say which ones (if either) are SRAM compatible.

andyfla
    Free Member

I know the pull ratios are diff for the rear mechs are diff so not compatible, but as for the front ….

LBS question I guess

njee20
    Free Member

Begs the question though… why?

Even if it can work, why would you not just use a Force/Rival if you want an upgrade?

smell_it
    Free Member

I run the ultegra front mechs (6600 I think), with rival on my winter bike and red on both my race bikes, and it works fine for me.

As to why; I find the shift more positive on the shimano f mechs, and CRC were banging them out cheap a while ago so picked up 3. iirc sram road f mechs have had some critisim for being a bit sloppy (?) and it looks like this years sram red group has beefed up the front mech to sort.

njee20
    Free Member

Red has always been known to be crap! It’s why all the pro teams run Force!

New Red mech isn’t compatible with old Red shifters, so that’s another standard 🙄

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cheers Smell – just order a Ultegra SL – To answer why is the SRAM Apex Mech I have is crap! I have been adjusting it for months now to no avail – and I much prefer the build of the shimano mechs. BTW I am not a crap mechanic blaming the mech – Its a known issue on some Apex Mech if you read around – it seems to be made of cheese – just fed up and want a decent Shimano one 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Oh well, SL was 6600 series, so should work if SI succeeded!

theboatman
    Free Member

Ultegra on rival here, rival one was also pants, not really sure why I have a photo of it… 😳

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cool – I can’t see a reason why it wont and found a few threads on other forums to suggest as above it works 🙂 Cheers guys 🙂 IIRC Apex is a rebranded Rival?

Digger90
    Free Member

Yes it’ll work.

SRAM frt derailleurs are cr@p. I replaced my Force derailleur with a spare Campag one as an experiment because I was getting slow, lazy, sometimes missed front shifts. It cured it instantly.

SRAM mtb frt derailleurs have been renowned as cr@p for some time – not even close to teh shift quality of Shimano.

Just goes to show SRAM’s road derailleurs are no better really…

foxyrider
    Free Member

SRAM Apex Front Mech: 0 – Shimano Ultegra Sl Front Mech: 1 – Took 5 mins to setup the new Shimano Mech I bought and shifts beautifully – for a minute there with the SRAM mech I thought I was loosing my mechanical skillz – phew 😉

marcher
    Free Member

I hate my apex front mech also – would a 105 5700 mech work with my apex shifters anyone?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ll find out if a 5600 works – just bought one from CRC – £7 I think it was!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I can confirm that the 5600 front mechs do work with SRAM shifters.

marcher
    Free Member

Thanks for that – just about to order one!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup should all work fine 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I hate my apex front mech also – would a 105 5700 mech work with my apex shifters anyone?

Well folk here are finding the older Shimano ones work. 5700 mechs are not compatible with 5600 STIs (nominally, never tried) so I’d not like to say. Just because 5600/Ultegra SL front mechs work does not mean 5700s will.

foxyrider
    Free Member

True – sorry not spotted the number difference 600 vs 700 – so yes not sure about that one 🙂

Anyway looks like he’s ordered a 5600 anyway 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘SRAM road front mech swappable with Shimano?’ is closed to new replies.