Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Sram Curious?
  • hughjardon
    Free Member

Looking at groupsets for a full sus 29er build (frame TBC) and as the title suggests I’m Sram curious?

The last couple of builds I’ve done have been XT, XT is about where i feel you get the right combination of performance, reliability and weight without breaking the bank.

But I’m reading and hearing more good things about the higher end sram gear, but with X9 being price wise slightly more than XT and X0 being more like XTR money how have people found they compare?

landcruiser
    Free Member

I personally like the positivity and ‘clickyness’ and SRAM (I use X9 & X0) seem strong in mud etc, with the 1:1 pull and stuff just seems more direct.

Mine are not the new 10 speed ones available now, so no experience of those.

hughjardon
    Free Member

landcruiser, how would you rate them against XT or XTR?

I was thinking maybe X9 but with the X0 chainset as it looks bling 😀

alexpalacefan

Always used XT myself, but the wife’s bike came with X7, which was REALLY stiff, particularly the front mech.

I replaced it with X0 but that didn’t help, and in the rides that followed to try and get it working we both ended up with RSI in the thumb from operating the shifter lever.

Swapped to XT and problems solved.

Shimano FTW.

APF

atlaz
    Free Member

Never used Shimano (except on the road) but very happy with SRAM. Had everything from x3 to x0 and for the most part it’s been totally trouble free.

njee20
    Free Member

SRAM chainsets weigh more than Shimano – even XX is heavier than XTR.

The ergonomics of the shifter are the biggest thing, people generally prefer one or t’other. I’ve had 9 speed XTR and X.0 (triggers and Grip Shift) and 10 speed XX and XTR, for me Shimano is far far better. The XX shifters were a better shape than the 9 speed ones, and I liked the agricultural nature of the Grip Shift, but I find Shimano shifters more intuitive, smooth and I get fewer accidental shifts.

Conan257
    Free Member

Id suggest going to your LBS and having a ride on some SRAM stuff… Its levers work differently on the shifter and might not be to your liking.

Personally i’ve ridden XTR and X0 stuff over the years, and couldn’t fault either. Would likely go for the best value vs weight at the time.

However, the 1:1 ratio is a good PR point, whether it makes a difference is hard to tell IMO.

njee20
    Free Member

However, the 1:1 ratio is a good PR point, whether it makes a difference is hard to tell IMO.

I’m not even convinced it’s even a good PR point, there’s sod all difference in longevity of either IME, they are both as bad with sticky cables (except Grip Shift, which just carries on). If one was clearly better the other would fail. Try both, buy the one you like!

Paceman
    Free Member

I personally like the positivity and ‘clickyness’ and SRAM (I use X9 & X0) seem strong in mud etc, with the 1:1 pull and stuff just seems more direct.

I like the solid click with SRAM, but it’s still overall not as good as the equivalent Shimano kit IMO. I switched from X9 to XT and it’s proved far more reliable year-round.

matt23
    Free Member

I have been riding an XO Santa cruz and an XT Giant XTc for 6 months now on 1*10 set up and personally I love the design of the shifters and ‘feel’ of shifts with the XO but I have had to fiddle quite a bit to get a decent set up whilst the XT has performed flawlessly and simply is fit and forget.
    Personally I would say if you have had no problems with XT go with XT again or if you do want a change I would recommend the extra expense for XO and go for it.

Not much help I guess but that’s my ‘two cents’ 8)

13thfloormonk

I’ve been a bit of an SRAM naysayer on here, for the following reasons:

Bent my SRAM mech within two or three rides, after several years of not bending Shimano mechs. Could quite easily just have been unfortunate timing though.

X9 mechs are £100! (last I checked). How much are XT? I’ve never liked having super pricey mechs, but given how (apparently) delicate the X9 mech is, I’m not keen on replacing it at R.R.P…

The jockey wheels seized after 3 months non-intensive riding. Shimano jockey wheels have never seized on me before, and are cheaper to replace when they do. In fairness though, I managed to unseize the bearings and they’re currently running fine again

The chain that came as stock on the bike started sucking very quickly, and somehow lost a roller between two links, which I’ve never seen happen before. The replacement has been fine.

Finally, the spares prices just seem like blatant p*ss-taking, which has soured me on SRAM full stop. Upwards of £4 for one, non-re-usable (not without some difficulty at least) pop lock? No Thanks.

Paceman
    Free Member

+1 SRAM X-9 Jockey Wheels are a joke for a £100 Rear Mech.

mtbfix

My ‘good’ bike is Sram and my workhorse is Shimano. They both work admirably and the Sram kit works well when clarted. BUT the replacement cost of Sram kit is madness. OK so consumables like chain and cassette are evenly matched but The fairest price comparison is really XT equalling X7 and X7 kit is not as nice as X9 or XT. Sram chainsets also suffer from slightly limited options for replacement BBs.

Bazz

I’m still running 9 speed and don’t feel the need for change, but imo mix n’ match is best, Shimano cranks and front mech with Sram rear mech and shifters, and my X9 is in no way delicate, i’ve knocked chunks off it bent it, straightened it twisted it, and it still works fine, 3 years old now and i did once have to dismantle the jockey wheels and regrease them but it’s been fine since then.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

X9 mechs are £100

I bought my entire groupset for not much more! (X7 shifters, 9 mech, 1050 cassette/chain)! IME SRAM RRP is silly, but shop arround and XT is about the same price as X9.

I prefered my older 9speed X5 shifter and X9 mech for its clunkyness. The 10s stuff is smoother, but still good.

I wont be going back to shimano for anything but chainsets.

njee20
    Free Member

+1 SRAM X-9 Jockey Wheels are a joke for a £100 Rear Mech.

My XX jockey wheels were totally destroyed after one 3 hour (admittedly very muddy) race. Replacement cost…

£120.

Just for the jockey wheels.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Sram Curious?’ is closed to new replies.