Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Squirt chain lube – users experiences
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

I used it in the summer and loved it, has anyone used it in the wet/mucky weather currently around? what do ya reckon?

ollie
    Free Member

Yep still using it and have been in various degrees of weather, Lasts pretty well up to about 60k from my experience so far.

carlphillips
    Free Member

erm mixed opinion from me.
    used as per instructions on totally clean/degreased new chain. summer use it was good, it kept the chain really clean but i found i used it more often than other lubes.
    i did the 24/12 in muddy conditions and things changed with it, after the race i cleaned my bike as normal and re applied lube, went to use it a day or so after and the chain was very sticky… so much so that i couldn't back pedal the cranks as the chain was stuck around the cassette.
    had to clean it all off and re apply again and all is fairly good although the chain is 'tacky' to the touch which i guess increases friction.
    anyone else had this happen?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Just ordered some more to try over Autumn – liking how clean the chain and cassette etc stay and no grinding paste

househusband

Good in bone-dry, sterile conditions… which kinda limits appeal.

neil853
    Free Member

to be honest i find it very similar to muc off dry lube.

ollie
    Free Member

I get the tacky/sticky chain each time I apply It but I've never had a problem as you've described.
    I find I use it more than other lubes as well but I don't mind as the drivetrain is almost spotless after every ride which makes it easier to re-apply with no degreasing etc.
    I'm still convinced that It's the best lube I've used to date, The winter months will be the real test though.

ollie
    Free Member

to be honest i find it very similar to muc off dry lube.

Is that a good or bad thing?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Hmm I'm not so sure about it. Get's a sniff of water & it's gone. Today was a prime example, about 50 miles into a mostly dry ride, bit of rain, chain totally lubeless by the end.

neil853
    Free Member

Is that a good or bad thing?

erm, i don't know. I tried the suirt lube after the muc off lube expecting it to last longer but it doesn't. I totally agree with their claims of keeping the chain clean but it just doesn't last that much (if any) longer than a traditional dry lube.

Bottom line, i'm going to keep using the muc off and re-apply when needed.

ollie
    Free Member

When I re-apply I put two applications on as the instructions specify for the first time using it, I found this helps it last a lot longer.
    As for wet weather I've not noticed any real difference in performance.
    I've definitely used other lubes which last longer but at the same time the drivetrain turns into a mucky pasty mess which is a complete t**t to clean.

Xylene
    Free Member

Didn't really like it compared to wet lube.

If I was to use a wax again, I'll just buy a motorbike specific product. Cheaper and just as good.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i'll have to look at tj's beloved putoline chainwax, sounds a faff but longlasting.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Strange I found that less was some how more. use a very light application and its fine over the Brecons, Black Mountains etc. What I did notice was if I put too much on it got really dirty quickly with loads of crap poor shifting. So I put only one spot per link – hey presto it works fine. Converted.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

fatmuthahubbard – Member

i'll have to look at tj's beloved putoline chainwax, sounds a faff but longlasting.

Lasted 350 road ( but very wet and gritty) miles on the tandem tour we just did.

messiah
    Free Member

I'm happy with it. Not sure if it's quite as good as Rock-n-roll extreme for staying on and working… but it doesn't freeze the same or have the annoying plastic bottles which burst as soon as I look at them.

When going for huge rides I always bung a little nearly empty bottle in the pack for a re-lube because I dislike the squeeky chain noise… but I've not needed it with these two lubes 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Squirt chain lube – users experiences’ is closed to new replies.