Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Squelchy fox float shock
  • downthemiddle
    Free Member

I have a fox float shock that makes a squelchy noise for the first 10 or so cycles and then goes quiet. There is no noticeably loss of damping. At first I had presumed it had cavitated, and had it serviced properly it had been quiet, however I recently did a aircan service on it, and it has instantly got a bit noiser. I am starting to wonder if I am putting too much float fluid in there, as I am pretty generous with it, maybe too much. Any suspension experts out there know if this is likely ? If it has cavitated again so soon then should it go quiet after a few compressions, this is what makes me think its something else

flow
    Free Member

You are supposed to use no more than half a Float Fluid pillow pack when doing an air can service, so if you used more than that, it could be whats causing it.

rwc03
    Free Member

As you said too much fluid probably, even half a pillow pack might be too much. I think I used about a third when I did mine last week. Don’t think it will affect anything, but you could pop it open and dab a bit off.

honourablegeorge

I noticed a lot of squelchiness when I fitted a large air volume spacer.

Swapped out for a medium, less squelchy. Assume it’s less space in the can for the amount of oil.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Similar thing with mine, Really noisy, for the firdt few pushes down, then quitened off. I figured it was cavitation but it returned to being noisy, bvery shortly after having a proper fox service. Still works fine, so I am gonna leave it noisy until its die a proper scheduled service in the summer

downthemiddle
    Free Member

Just checked what was remaining in the little pillow pack of float fluid after the aircan service, and I’d used a half and a bit ! In the standard narrow float air can. Perhaps it was a case of the right amount, and then that good squeeze more for good luck 🙂 Just hoping it is that and not a shock that cavitates continually

woody2000

Is it recent? Could it be cold, viscous fluid getting warmer and less viscous as you cycle the shock?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Squelchy fox float shock’ is closed to new replies.