Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Square Taper
  • SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Out of interest, how many people are still running square taper BBs? Any amazing feats of longevity?

The BB on my hardtail has been on for about 3 years with no problems. I have an early 90s MTB in the shed which is still running the original cup and bearing square taper BB after countless miles.

Call me a luddite, but still not convinced on these new fangled external bearing systems, but feel like limited choice of square taper chainsets is going to force me down that route soon.

ton

i was the biggest square taper fan……..but when you build bikes from scratch on a regular basis they are a pain…..
    i am now a external bearing bb fan……. 8)

GW
    Free Member

on my roadbike I am, it has a tiny bit of play but it is almost 10years old (and on it's second chainset).

wouldn't go back to SQ taper on any of my MTBs

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yep, square taper through and through here – reckon my North Shore XS cranks must be at least 4 years old now (been on countless builds and showing no signs of letting up) – I had planned on swapping them for a set of SLXs soon but following the recent posting about cracks I reckon I'll stick with them until they give up . . . could be some time. Did briefly try ISIS but got fed up with having to tighten the crank bolts every few miles 🙄 . Never tried an external bearing BB though.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Problem I've got is that I need to replace my chainset, but will probably be changing the frame within next 6 months. If I do go down the external BB route, I'm going to have to get the BB shell faced on the old frame, aren't I?

swamp_boy

Still running them on my MTB. They are on a cartridge BB replaced last year, cranks are original 1992 ones that came with the bike, and still OK so replacing the BB made more sense than getting into a whole drive line upgrade scenario. Not so easy to get five arm 7 speed chain rings now but got some nice Middleburn ones from CRC.

The bike is old but I like it, rather than pull it to bits one day I'll semi retire it and get a complete new one.

nuke

Another square taper user here…fit and forget. Managed to get some NOS XT square taper chainset recently from CRC that should keep me going for years

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Yeah I am running middleburn rs8 on a un72, thats still perfect after 2 years

I used to run an older xt on a un72 for about 3 years and now its on my wifes bike for the last couple of years albeit getting less use now its still perfect

b17
    Free Member

sprocketjockey – you'll almost certainly be just fine without facing. There's a good argument that facing makes little difference anyway.

mt
    Free Member

Royce and Middleburn. The perfect BB & Chainset combo, the stuff is UK made and all available as spares. Price for the Middleburn stuff is now very good.

hopster
    Free Member

Race face taperlock ti bottom bracket with Race face turbine cranks. I had 2.5 years out of the last set of bearings and it only costs a tenner to replace them.

stumpy01

I had a square taper on my Stumpjumper (with the original Strongarm crankset) that came with the bike up until about a yr ago.
    But, a week in Spain & various trail centre rocks and a distinct lack of finesse left the outer ring slightly battered so I swapped it for an XT.

Not convinced that the BB will last the 7yrs of the sq taper (and it was still totally smooth) but it does make servicing easier.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but it does make servicing easier.

except that sq. taper BBs do not require (or allow) servicing…

crazy-legs

Square taper on the cross bike (Shimano) and the SS road bike (White Industries), both work fine.
    All my other bikes use ISIS or Octalink cos I'm that retro that I haven't (yet) needed or wanted to buy an external BB & chainset. Everything currently works fine = no need to change!

coffeeking
    Free Member

ST on most of my bikes, external seems to be a bit more delicate. Most of my ST BBs have lasted 5yrs plus and are still fine.

FieldMarshall

Running ST on all four of my bikes now having switched back a couple of years from external.

And have experienced a massive improvement in longevity over the external types.

colande
    Free Member

square taper on 3 bikes the oldest has been going for 3-4 years,
    no sign of giving up either!

I've not had any issues so haven't ever thought about changing them out to be honest.

ransos
    Free Member

I have a 1992 Breezer Storm, complete with original square taper BB.

69er
    Free Member

Square taper here. I'm with mt – you can't beat Royce / Middleburn combo.

And contrary to what simonfbarnes says you can replace parts on a Royce.

Royce bb's = quite expensive but last forever

Middleburn cranks = reasonable price, don't show scuffs too badly

And they're MADE IN ENGLAND!

r6ymy
    Free Member

I have Middleburn RS8 on a Phil Wood Ti bottom bracket on my Pace 405, and some old Shimano cranks on a UN72 on my singlespeed.
    I've had several years use from a UN72 before.

atlaz
    Free Member

20 year old ST on my road bike. Probably needs to go soon.

Speshpaul

Yeap Middleburn mated to TA on and UN72 on the other.
    Can't see any reason to change. My BB's have out last all of those of my riding mate (HT1 and 2's)

"Problem I've got is that I need to replace my chainset, but will probably be changing the frame within next 6 months. If I do go down the external BB route, I'm going to have to get the BB shell faced on the old frame, aren't I? "
    Why replace the chainset?
    Why change the frame?
    External BB will need BB faceing but its no big deal. All it does is shave the paint and a enough metal off to acheive a parallel sjfinish on both sides.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses – looks like I'm not the only one fending off the forces of progress 😉

I think I'm going to look for a replacement ST crankset- any recommendations for stockists?

Speshpaul – in answer to your questions:

Why replace the chainset?

It's the OEM one which came with the bike – (Shimano Alivio I think) – it's about the only remaining bit I haven't replaced or upgraded (been through several sets of chainrings though). Worked fine until I stripped part of the drive-side pedal thread due to poor spannering. Holding for now but paranoid it's going to give up the ghost mid ride.

Why change the frame?

No reason other than I'm looking to get a steel, singlespeed specific frame at some point.

joolsburger
    Free Member

UN72 with RS7's 8 years old still perfect lots of mileage and plenty of jumps…

stoney
    Free Member

I had at least 8 years out of a Hope Ti sq taper and it was still perfect. Only thing was trying to remove it to swap frames and one cup had totally seized….Gutted as hope no longer did replacement cups, so it was knacked 😥
    Now run Royce tis in both mtbs.

Campag sq taper in my road frame is 20 YES 20 years and still going 😯

Anyone beat that ❗

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Square Taper’ is closed to new replies.