• This topic has 63 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by iggs.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Springer Spaniel help…..
  • NagsNog
    Free Member

Been thinking of getting one of these for a year or so.
    Me and her are active people lots of Hill walking in the lakes and stuff so would need a dog that enjoys that kind of thing hence the interest in these.
    Help from owners would be great, be it the good things and the bad that a Springer will bring me, what to do with regards to training and such.
    Pictures welcome as i'm sure you will want to show me.
    Cheers Nog

muppet4
    Free Member

Alfie is 6 now and hasnt really slowed, i def give him the op if you dont want pups as this did make a bit of a difference, very clever and a loads of energy, train him to ride with you and they will keep going for a nice ride or will walk all day – but if you dont walk him for a few days then he is nuts. Wouldnt have him any different though and he is a real pleasure – Very good with children as well, we have an 18 month and he is very well behaved with her.

You will go through bad patches but when they are trained and kept active they are brilliant dogs. It all comes down to keeping the entertained.

Gooner
    Free Member

ours is now 11 weeks old and doing great

we do walking which is one reason we got her but also we are going to train her to work – beating and picking up

foxyrider
    Free Member

We had a family springer and my sister has one at the mo. They are mad and females relatively soppy. Her bitch is liver and white and is a bit of a jelous baby 😉 Anyway she is a nice dog but requires a lot of exercise. Very easy to train from a puppy – as a breed they can suffer with bad ear hygiene and clipping abd brushing is important if exercised in muddy water, brush etc – they love chasing aminals esp rabbit ans birds and are very good swimmers 😉

idontlikechips
    Free Member

another alfie, he is 2 and nuts, really nice dog, he opens the post, eats the letter and leaves the envelope

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Nog,

Have you had dogs / a springer before ?

I know this is easier said than done but if you could borrow one for a weekend or invite friends over that have one you would learn a lot.

I remember a quote from our dog training teacher, "having a springer as your first dog is like learning to drive in a ferrari"

They are not mad, just enthusiastic, energetic, intelligent and very happy. Keep them execised, mentally stimulated and trained in the essential commands and you have a great friend. In fact you will have lots of new friends as strangers will want to talk to you about your dog.

You are clearly going into this with your eyes open by asking other people's opinion and you will get plenty here, mountain biking and springer ownership appear to go together.

flatfish
    Free Member

i just broke my springer this weekend at cwm carn he's had a back spasm so he's on house arrest/no walks for three days which means he's getting ready to explode with energy if a don't take him out soon.
    love him to bits, great with our two youngsters and all their friends that come round.
    he needs a fair bit of entertaining to keep him from destroying stuff but a new doggy toy will last a matter of minutes.

second the borrowing of one.
    you have to be firm with them though and everything will be fine.

djglover
    Free Member

Will chew everything, crap on your floor, bite kids that tease it, worry sheep, smell, moult

And yes we used to have one

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I had one & it ate my kitchen! Actually that should read, 'my wife (now ex)got one against my wishes & it ate the kitchen'. Even though it had more toys than Toy R Us to chew on. It was obviously totally mad cos it jumped off a cliff chasing something.
    My cousin's been getting a 'sprollie', now that sounds like it could be a mad thing!

rkk01
    Free Member

Always wanted a springer – but we were mindful of first dog experience etc and went for a cocker spaniel instead.

Not quite as energetic as a springer, but still very intelligent, active and a good family pet.

Shandy
    Free Member

Springers are great dogs if you train them from a very young age. Sometimes this means feeling like you are being harsh when they are pups but they thrive on discipline. They are quite greedy which makes them easy to train with dog treats.

You really need to get them out at least half an hour a day. If you have a good open space to exercise them, get them trained to return on instruction they will run around constantly and get a lot of exercise in a short space of time.

Cages are great. When they are young it stops them chewing/messing everywhere when not supervised.

clareymorris

Gooner that pup is so cute it nearly made me cry!

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Shandy,

Agree with you totally on the train to return point.
    We went through the basic training and ours will return on command to my feet 99.9% of the time. For the other .1% we have a dog whistle.

Don't know how you get awat with half an hours run a day, we are on a two walk a day regime, no set times but a short day is an hours exercise and a long day …………..well that can be all day, without exaggeration.

singlecrack
    Free Member

just been reading this thread and giggling to myself
    glad we are not alone as they all seem to be the same 😆

get a crate from an early age ,easy to toilet train and wont destroy your house
    kong
    food cube
    mentally stimulate them or they will drive you mad
    oh yeh and exercise did I mention exercise

and they are lovely dogs

check this site http://www.itsaspringthing.co.uk

anagallis_arvensis

nah mate you want a lurcher can walk all day or sprint like a nutter for 10 mins, no hereditary problems and no worries about her being savaged by the chav pit bulls in the park as they cant catch her.

NagsNog
    Free Member

Yeah, it will be our first dog, thats why we have been thinking about it for a long time and wont just dive in thinking its all a doddle.
    We have looked after mates dogs but niether of them are very energetic one being a staff, loverly dog but she cant be of the lead as she is a bit snappy with other dogs, would hate to get something like that as we want to see them run around having fun, both for us and the dog.
    I could take it to work with me but would be worried it would get used to that attention and just go mad on days i had to leave it at home.
    The springer does seem to fit what we want just hope we fit what it wants too.

br
    Free Member

We've a sporting cocker, so mid-way between a springer and a cocker in size, but same mentality…

Agree will all the comments, plus we bought a full-size cage for the garden and he lives in there if we are out. He's a dog, so we had the op, but left his tail. We don't clip him, and his fur sorts itself out (vet says no problem).

Exercise is the key, plus we throw his (dry) food into the garden and let him find it (the puppy trainers suggestion). He will run all day, and is great running with the bike (I've a 12 mile loop that I take him on).

Today we (son and I on bikes, wife on horse), went out for the day – he just ran – sleeping now ;-).

As its your first dog, don't overfeed him – and like children, discipline is the answer.

daveells
    Free Member

Couldn't resist posting a couple of pictures of our springer. We were told once that a springer spaniel is the worst pet you could ever own, and that thought has crossed my mind a few times when I have chased her round and round the garden trying to get the tea towel back! I think you just have to give them loads of exercise and be calm assertive (disciplined) and they will give you loads of fun back!

roundwheels
    Free Member

discipline is the answer . yes
    get a crate from an early age . yes
    You need to get them out at least half an hour a day. yes but you don't need to walk it any more than half an hour if you don't have the time.
    springer is more reliable than cockers .
    my oldest springer just recently tore a ligament on his back leg i had to keep him in the house for 4 weeks no further than the back garden ,he was desperate to get out but he managed fine .
    train with dog treats.this is a mistake it better to train with out food it make them a beter dog and it a waiste of time trying to train you springer if it younger than 6 months other than it name and potty traning
    http://www.mordorgundogs.com/
    http://www.eshielsgundogs.com/

We've had springers both English & Welsh for over 20 years & they are just great fun. Always had bitches.

Very good with kids (can be very protective to be warned)

[]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3510/4051077478_b903bd73dd_m.jpg[/img]

Need loads of excercise

& cute

All in all, need plenty of exercise, mentally challenged, clear boundaries, good training, & they don't really do the dog home alone bit. If you are out at work all day, they aren't the dog for you. They crave company, & if they get it they'll respond for you loyal, biddable & above all else fun dog.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Got a 5 month old rodison ridgeback and up to now training is going OK.Recalls to a whistle and responds to voice comands well.Agree with one of the posters said about a dog crate.Great for stopping them distroying the house and also toilet training.If you get a dog start basic training as soon as you get it because what you do with it when it first comes into the house will set the standard for the rest of it's life.You get out what you put in. 😉

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

tragically1969
    Free Member

roundwheels

springer is more reliable than cockers

In what way ?

roundwheels
    Free Member

cockers are great dogs but tend to be unreliable from time to time (when working them ) also there abit more crazy mental than springer's i know hard to imagine, not just my opintion but of all the dog handelers that i know

anagallis_arvensis

train with dog treats.this is a mistake it better to train with out food it make them a beter dog and it a waiste of time trying to train you springer if it younger than 6 months other than it name and potty traning

Dont agree with this.

tragically1969
    Free Member

roundwheels

Ok, just wondered what you meant by unrelieable

also there abit more crazy mental than springer's

Yup, can go with that, i have one at home !!

oddjob
    Free Member

I grew up with a cocker spaniel and would dearly love to get one or a Springer (isn't there something called an American Spaniel too?)

At the moment though I don't think we have time to walk/train it properly so it will have to wait until the kids are a bit older. We'll definately get one eventually though and it will drive my Mrs crazy 😆

sharkbait
    Free Member

cockers are great dogs but tend to be unreliable from time to time (when working them ) also there abit more crazy mental than springer's i know hard to imagine, not just my opintion but of all the dog handelers that i know

Hmmmm. Can't say I've ever seen an 'unreliable' cocker when working – but a lot is down to the pedigree.
    We've got two working cockers (and you should know that working cockers are almost a completely different breed to the little show dogs you see) and they've been great but both came from very good working backgrounds i.e. pedigree is full of field trial winners and champions.

Overall I'd say that cockers are a marginally better family dog but I'd still like a springer some day, although it would have to be worked.

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Not sure about a springer as your first dog. Although I;ve never owned one I had a mate who had one as his first dog and it ate through the kitchen wall (literally). I can't say much as my first dog was a border collie who was mental. He was also very difficult to train but eventually I got him on side. Then we had a kid, the dog lost and attacked the doctor and hand to make the long trip to the vet.

I now have two golden retrievers which are great dogs but still need exercise and mental stimulation. I;ve had them on a ten mile ride with no problems but equally they can sit in the kitchen for a couple of days without too much trouble.

blanche
    Free Member

We have 2 springers and they are both nuts in their own way.
    Brilliant dogs.
    One is a rescue dog and still running about like a pup at 11 years old. We got him at 2, and needed one of them there doggy psychologists to help get him over separation anxiety.
    The other is a little lady and she has the sharpest most painful and earsplitting bark in the world.

Love 'em to bits.

We did the crate thing for them both, too.

I would holy disagree with not being able to train them under 6 months old, though. Our little lady dog was doing "Dead", sit, stand, stay, walk, heel, please totally ignore me if next door neighbours alsation is about and flash your bits at him, and speak.

edit: and a few of those are to hand signals, which I still find mightily impressive!

tragically1969
    Free Member

oddjob

(isn't there something called an American Spaniel too?)

There is but they are as far away from a cocker as a springer is, we have a half show half working cocker, he can run all day and is a maniac, he's brilliant !!

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Forgot add my vote for crate training. Unless you want sh*t everywhere its a no brainer.

willard

Yup, go with crates all the time. Ours learned very quickly with a crate.

We have a Springer (mental, but a trained gundog) and a 7 month old Cocker (mental and starting training in a couple of weeks). Both never seem to get tired when out and about, but get quiet after long walks when they are on their beds.

They are good with kids generally, but tend to fight when they are on their own. Both are boys, so it's not surprising.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

You thought about going to a rescue centre and getting a rescue dog? There's hundreds of homeless dogs in this country that are beautiful and loving and need a home. it seems a bit unnecessary to spend a lot on a pedigree type.

Just my two penneth. Check out the dogs trust website.

Alfie and Charley. Both rescues and capable of walking all day up mountains. Lovely characters, get on well with each other, children and other dogs.

If you do bite the bullet, training is all.
    Use a whistle, it beats the crap out of shouting.
    Keep em stimulated & on the "invisible lead".

We've got Welsh springers now which are not quite as physical as an English, but great temperaments.
    Even if you just want one as a pet, work em with dummies in the undergrowth & stuff. They really enjoy it, it's what there bread for. They'll be interested in you then & not charge off on there own which is when the problem starts if they range too far.

singlecrack
    Free Member

quick Q to all you springer owners
    How is your dog on the lead ????

luke
    Free Member

if you've got kids i'd reccomend springers over cocker's, as they normally take more stick before they snap.
    If you only have 30 mins a day to excersise a dog, personally i wouldn't have a springer from personal experience.
    I'd like a clumber for my next dog, after having springers, cav king charles, amd field spaniels in the past.

Dougal
    Free Member

Our 12yo Springer passed a month or so back. He was a fantastic dog, full of energy but super obedient at the same time.

How was he on the lead? Pulled like a nutter with me, though the SO could get him to walk at heel.

Got a GWP puppy now, still working on the training.

NagsNog
    Free Member

Cheers for all the replies,
    I had a good read through the "its a springer thing" web site and i am now scared….they seem to be crackers, but in a good way, quite a few people with training issues on there but i guess thats the same as all dogs if done wrong.
    Can they be calm in any way? I just seems like everyone says they need absolute constant stimulation, not sure how anyone manages to do that unless they have no job or other responsibilities.
    Its a hard one because thats what we want but would also want it to be calm and collected too. Maybe im asking a bit much or just naive as a first time dog owner.
    Sounds like kids may be easier…. 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Springer Spaniel help…..’ is closed to new replies.