• This topic has 162 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 3 posts - 161 through 163 (of 163 total)
  • Sportive Speeds
  • druidh
    Free Member

I’m not allowed to comment until I’ve taken part in a race?

Is that like not commenting on a movie until you’ve been an actor/director/first grip?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez…

No, your comments on whether sportives are races or not would be a whole lot more relevant if you’d ridden in a race.

kcr
    Free Member

I think part of the problem in this discussion is the loosely applied term “race”.

Sportives are obviously treated as a form of “race” by some of the participants. They are clearly not “road races”, however, because they do not follow the internationally recognised format for “road races” and do not adhere to the rules of competition set out by any of the organisations that administer road racing.

For similar reasons, sportives are not “time trials” because they do not follow the format and rules of competition for time trials (riders competing individually with no drafting, etc).

In a road race, everyone starts together, and the first person over the line wins. Within that apparently simple format, there is a whole world of physical and mental challenge to explore, which is what makes “road racing” so interesting, difficult and very different from sportives. Some riders will want to try and keep the race together for a sprint finish, while others want to break things up to reduce the odds or go for a solo win. The pace will vary constantly, as attacks are made and breaks form or are chased down. The repeated aerobic/anaerobic cycles of a road race are extremely demanding, and typically much harder than riding a “fast” but steady sportive. Road racing is the true test of a rider because you need to use both your athletic ability and your head, and you have to go head to head against other competitors who are trying to out-ride you and outwit you.

Comparing road racing and sportives is like comparing apples and oranges. They both have their place, but deliver very different challenges.

Viewing 3 posts - 161 through 163 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘Sportive Speeds’ is closed to new replies.