Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Splitting power link/missing link.
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Just fitted a new KMC chain to the singlespeed but could do with taking out another link but can’t split the KMC missing link. Should I just bite the bullet and buy the missing link pliers or is there a home made way of doing it?

highclimber
    Free Member

I wouldn’t get the pliers. some needle nose pliers should do the trick if its really stuck otherwise try flexing the link side to side as you apply pressure.

shadthebad
    Free Member

I’ve got a 9 speed KMC missing link on my desk here. You have to press both sides together in about half a mil before it will slide.

HTH.

coatesy
    Free Member

Fold the chain, and use normal pliers diagonally across the ends of the link(make sure you go across the correct ends :-)).

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Been feeling a bit under the weather which is why I stopped today so will have another go tomorrow. Thanks folks.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

As shadthebad said, squeeze the sides. See, even a girl knows how 🙂

mudpup
    Free Member

Buy the kmc tool – you’ll not regret it. Sometimes you lose the knack of doing it by hand and i find pliers slip on the rolllers too easily.

scaredypants

bent coat-hanger wire does a decent job unless they’re REALLY stuck

andyl
    Free Member

fold the chain into an n or u shape with the link on the horizontal. Squeeze the side plates together with one hand and then pinch the rollers towards each other with the other. Practice a few times on a new chain before you use it in anger.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I recently put a KMC Missing Link on a 10 spd Shimano mtb chain and to be honest I’m dissapointed by it!

My last bike had a SRAM powerlink on a SRAM chain and you could just pull it apart by hand with no issues. With the KMC I’m struggling to get it together or apart !

Are all 10 spd powerlink type things as difficult to use?

At the weekend I ended up using the pliers across the link which is far from ideal. I know it doesnt happen often, but there is no way it would come apart out on a trail.

Are any of the alternatives any better?

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

KMC pliers are a really nice luxury item to have in your toolbox, I gave in and got a set and they do make life that little bit easier

rootes1

wipperman links do not need squashing

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Splitting power link/missing link.’ is closed to new replies.