• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • splitting logs
  • organic355
    Free Member

why is it so satisfying?

Got about 2 tonne of unsplit logs I chopped last summer. Sunny day, and I am off so just thought I would try a few to see if they were dry enough to split. and they were.

whack-clunk clunk, it feels good!!!!

hillsplease

Dunno – but I am jealous. Bought a mate a splitting maul for this 40th – even quicker than using an axe. right tool for the job, I suppose- but impressed by the ease.

Even better if you’ve a ‘helper’ to d oall the tedious picking the plait logs up and staacking them.

Have fun.

glenp
    Free Member

It’s the noise – so satisfying.

binners

Organic and friends looking very pleased with themselves earlier 😀

Drac

It’s great but I split them straight after cutting with a splitting maul. Hmm reminds me I do have some seasoned logs stored at my Uncle’s need splitting though. They’re next to the lambing sheds though so might not access for a couple of months now.

jp-t853

My dad is dropping a big van load of wood off this evening so i will have a lovely weekend smashing them to pieces with the maul. It makes you feel like a real man.

racefaceec90

watch out for any side effects 😉 [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV4xo_rF-oo[/video]

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I used to split all my logs manually with a maul. I just made a hydraulic log splitter and have seen the future. I’ve split all the fallen timber from the snowfalls in the winter and desperately need more. Doing it by hand is very rewarding.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yup – years ago I used to help out at a pub and I would spend whole days/weeks splitting logs (using an axe too) in the yard overlooking the River Nidd. Then I would stop for a spot of lunch (usually their homemade steak pie) and a pint of Theakston’s.
    😀

Mugboo

I spent an hour or two with a machete last Monday stripping branches ready to cut the trunks into logs. Very therapeutic!

Where do I buy one of these wedges from?

Drac

Where do I buy one of these wedges from?

Wedges or Mauls?

Clobber
    Free Member

logrenade is what you want! You can use it with a 14lb lump hammer for spectacular results…

molgrips
    Free Member

I used to shift bales of hay in the summertime as a youngster. Similarly rewarding work 🙂

richmars

Log splitting is good because you’re providing for your family, like a caveman bring home meat.

nbt

Sod the maul, I want one of these

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be_ZVY0LOh0[/video]

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Awesome!

Drac

Pffft!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhmKBDIAXd0[/video]

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘splitting logs’ is closed to new replies.