• This topic has 19 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by ton.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Splitting aerial for 2 TVs
  • swoosh
    Free Member

I’m looking to put a TV in the bedroom but we don’t have an aerial socket in the bedroom so i need to get an aerial to it (an indoor aerial doesn’t work unless i’m holding it up to the ceiling!).

The current set up is this:

The aerial is mounted on the ridge of the roof and then the cable is routed down the outside of the house by the side of the front windows and into the living room and to the TV.

The set up I think we need is this:

Where the existing aerial runs down the side of the upstairs window split it and send one out line down the existing cable to the downstairs TV and the other out line through a hole made in the soffit into the loft. Take the cable in the loft across to where I have made a hole in the ceiling of the bedroom, and then take the cable down to the tv in the bedroom.

That sounds simple enough – have i got it right?

These are the things I’m thinking i’ll need to do the work:
    Splitter

Cable

Connectors

Are those items ok? Are they compatible with each other?

I’m looking to do this fairly cheaply, so any DIY pointers would be great. I’m not very confident when it comes to electrics although i’ve never given myself a shock yet, i just don’t really know what kit i need.

CountZero

I’m not entirely sure, but I think the best way is to run two cables diectly from the antenna, if it’s possible for you to do that. It avoids possible signal corruption at joins. That’s how mine is set up, although I had someone do it; no way I’m clambering around on the roof!
    If not, your way is probably ok, just make sure every connection is as good as you gan get it, TV signals are buggers for breaking up at the slightest excuse. Good luck! 🙂

ton

swoosh, i sell this kinda stuff.
    the stuff you posted will work fine.

jota180
    Free Member

A splitter will be fine if you have enough signal, you’ll be halving the signal [minus a bit of insertion loss] to each leg.
    The splitter looks OK – if a tad expensive, I’d personally just use a standard splitter/combiner and use self-amalgamating tape to waterproof it.
    Get Ton [off here] to sell you 1 x 2 way wideband ‘F’ splitter, 3 x screw on ‘F’ plugs and a roll of self amalgamating tape.

EDIT: he’s already replied

Grizla
    Free Member

Sounds a bit messy, all the wires and splitter on the outside of the house.

I’d perhaps be tempted to give the bedroom its own aerial, in the loft.

bearnecessities

Be wary of any split unless you have an A1 signal, especially for digital signal.

It’s many years since I was an Aerial engineer, but I think you need to be taking the feed out of the junction box with a designated output and if signal is poor, powering the line.

If possible, easiest way is to take the 2nd rf output from your skybox and route into bedroom. Edit: IIRC rf2 carries 12v as well.

Caveat that my info may be out of date, but splitting at cable is very dubious.

mudshark
    Free Member
    edlong
    Free Member

Split my cable and not noticed any problems, but do have a very strong signal here.

A wee bit of soldering required on the coax connectors. Dunno if you’re a competent solderer – I’m not particularly, but seem to have done an adequate job so nothing to worry about (if I can get it to work, anyone can).

swoosh
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I hadn’t realised that I would be halving the signal strenth. With that in mind I might go for a loft aerial like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003ZZLHMC?qid=1360332177&sr=8-2

Will there be any issues with that?

ton

swoosh…..you will not be halving the signal. at most you will lose 3db, which is nothing.
    the splitter you showed will be ideal to split to 2 tv’s.

i sell hundreds of labgear splitter to folk doing the same as you.
    it is ideal for internal or external use.

swoosh
    Free Member

Thanks ton.

When you say “it’s ideal for internal or external use” are you referring to the labgear splitter or the aerial I have posted up?

ton

yes mate. the 1st one you posted.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’d run the aerial cable into the loft, have the splitter inside, then run the output for your downstairs telly back out though the hole, but otherwise sound.

the splitter comes with connectors – f-series don’t need soldering – but they do take practice – there’s bound to be a youtube video on assembling them properly.

I’d put a proper wall plate socket into both rooms for a professional finish.

jota180
    Free Member

swoosh…..you will not be halving the signal. at most you will lose 3db

ton, 3db is half the power, if you split a signal with a passive splitter it’s going to half the power available on each leg, split it in 4 and it’ll quarter it etc.
    TBH it’ll be more than 3 db with the insertion and cable losses

But there’s a good chance the OP has more than enough power to start with, most systems do have so shouldn’t be a problem

ton

jota, most transmitters in a good area are pulling in between 40 and 70db.
    a loss of 3 db will have no effect at all.

jota180
    Free Member

jota, most transmitters in a good area are pulling in between 40 and 70db.
    a loss of 3 db will have no effect at all.

That’s what I said, most systems will be fine

Remember the db is a ratio between the input signal level and the output signal level of the splitter. If you lose 3db off your signal whatever level it is, it’s half power.

swoosh
    Free Member

I think we’re in a pretty good location as far as signal strength is concerned. I think I’ll go for a new aerial in the loft to save me having to spend my time 6m up a ladder.

ton

swoosh, i can sell you all you need at trade prices….01132633500

swoosh
    Free Member

Damn it. I’ve just ordered on amazon. Thanks for offer

ton

no worries mate. 😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Splitting aerial for 2 TVs’ is closed to new replies.