Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • split tube or gorilla tape?
  • neil29679
    Free Member

What is the general consensus as to which is best and why. When setting up ghetto tubeless.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Using Stans tape on mine with no rim strip. Seems to work very well*

*millions of different rim and tyre combo YMMV

crapjumper
    Free Member

I’ve used gorilla tape on the rim followed by a split tube for a couple of years now . No flatties at all .

poonprice
    Free Member

I used Gorillia Tape on Stans Flows, with Stans sealant and its been perfect. I like with gorilla tape you can pull it hard and really work the tape to the rim after.

neil29679
    Free Member

Did you use a proper tubeless valve or one from an old tube with the gorilla tape?

poonprice
    Free Member

Proper tubeless valves with removable cores, if the tyres are a pain to get on and off the rim it makes it a million times easier to get the sealant in.

kuman
    Free Member

I had a go at tubeless conversion yesterday. Alex rims of my genesis fortitude, used gorilla tape with stans sealant and valve cut out of old tube. So far so good, 24hrs later still holding pressure. I had to use foot pump in the end, had no success with my crappy track pump.

slackalice
    Free Member

Duct tape, aka gorilla tape, on some Mavic 317’s with Stan’s valve seem to work just as well as the full on Stan’s tape on Crest’s here. Although I found I had to put two wraps of the gorilla tape on the mavic’s to enable the tyres to sit correctly using conti MK2 and Mud X. All have Stan’s sealant.

poonprice
    Free Member

FYI, I got my Gorilla Tape from Homebase for under £3(i think) if your looking to go buy some.

Homebase Gorilla Tape

The 25mm tape is perfect for Stans Flows, no need to trim the width.

Andy

Normally just use a bit of tape and a valve on my 29ers but just done a tubeless set up using a split tube on some widish 26er rims ( 😉 ). Tyre still holding pressure without sealant after 24hours which suggests I have over engineered it with 200gms of unnecessary split tube in there for that tyre/rim combo.

scruff
    Free Member

I tubelessed my DH rims with gorilla tape and Schwalbe split tube, some of the BMX ones are schrader with a nice big locking nut, keeps it all sealed and solid. Might need to drill out your rims though. The bigger size of the schrader seems to get them inflated quicker too.

steve_b77
    Free Member

My DT rims are set up with a couple of wraps on gorilla tape, shimano tubeless valves and cafe latex with bontrager tlr tyres, not a single issue with them.

My Stans rims have yellow tape, Stans valves & sealant with bontrager tlr tyres, again no issues

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘split tube or gorilla tape?’ is closed to new replies.