Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Spit or Swallow ?
  • bigpole
    Free Member

When I ride with my club, mates etc, there are a number who are constantley gozzin’ as they ride, surely this could eventually dehydrate you, I personally never feel the necessatity to do this(Unless I have a cold). Is swallowing your spit better for you?

Drac

surely this could eventually dehydrate you

That would have to be an awful lot of spit.

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

The spit that needs out is usually the thick, mucousy stuff that’s quite hard to effectively swallow – in the gutter it goes!

Ditto snot rockets.

edhornby

tons of colds about at the moment, get rid of the gunk I say, as long as you’re at the back of the line when you spit or fire a snot rocket I can’t see the harm…

TheFlyingOx

Heh. “Snot rockets”. We call it a “Barnsley Handkerchief” in Sheffield.

iDave
    Free Member

better out than in

Junkyard
    Free Member

tha thick mucous is a side effect of excercise and it goes out.

Kahurangi

I’m spitting a lot at the moment cos I have a grotty nose/cold and it’s not always practical to do a snot rocket. I don’t like doing it but it beats swallowing the green stuff. 🙁

Kunstler

I have always found that if I pick up exercising again after a lay off of many months that I have a problem of trying clear the phlegm. Feels like there’s a lot to cough up from my lungs but can’t bring it up. It feels like it’s just there all the time and I’m constantly wanting to clear. It gets quite uncomfortable.
    After a week or so I find that I can clear it and I’ve just passed that stage now. The last few days I’ve been spitting so much I actually wondered if I might lose weight through it. 🙂

I always make sure no one sees me spit which sometimes means holding it in more than I’d wish.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Why did I think thread was going to be about something else? 😳

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

surely this could eventually dehydrate you

Which is also the reason why I never like to build up a sweat.

I’ll keep my precious bodily fluids if you don’t mind thank you.

the-muffin-man

Which is also the reason why I never like to build up a sweat.

How do you not work up a sweat when cycling! Are you some sort of cyborg!?

Oh – and snot. Cycling is a great way to clear out the sinuses – not so good when you blow it out of your nose and all over your own shoulder though!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How do you not work up a sweat when cycling

By taking precautions such as walking up steep inclines, and wearing sensible loose clothing – eg blazer and flannel trousers with an open neck shirt…….all perfectly adequate when combined with the use of bicycle clips.

Trimix
    Free Member

Develop a good technique and you can gob it in front of yourself at an angle of 45 degrees or more, then see if you can race under it without hitting yourself.

It can be a fitness aid.

donsimon
    Free Member

Spit.

Smarty
    Free Member

I often wondered if you were to swallow it all down on the morning commute would that constitute breakfast? 😛

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m more snotty if there’s been a lot of dairy in my diet.

i’m a bit dairy intolerant, and exercise seems to give my body a way to get rid of all the rubbish i shouldn’t have eaten.

some of the stuff that comes out of my nose/lungs is like glue. i don’t think i could swallow it even if i wanted too.

all imho/ime of course.

i try not to plaster my mates with it (‘collateral damage’), or upset old ladies, etc.

bigpole
    Free Member

I think I need to learn how to best project my land oyster without causing offence to my cycle buddies.

SaboteurCherie
    Free Member

I have yet to master the art of the snot rocket…I end up getting bogies all over my top. 😛

aracer
    Free Member

Am I the only one struggling with the image of ernie in a blazer? Don’t they kick you out of the SWP for doing things like that?

brakes
    Free Member

I’m lucky in that my natural ejection trajectory of snot when facing forward is down and to the right, such that I don’t have to take my eyes of the trail/road when snotrocketing.
    It’s in my genes, I was born to bicycle.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And I’m struggling with the thought of me being in the SWP aracer.

That’s me on the left btw…

anonymouse
    Free Member

Spitting is rude and shouldn’t be allowed.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Spit or Swallow ?’ is closed to new replies.