Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Spidertrackworld
  • Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I met this spider whilst working t’other day – it was giving me the eye so I photographed it for posterity.

Any idea what it is – never seen one before? And is it native to North Yorkshire!

BadBoy by Rob Sutherland, on Flickr

(Yes – my Macro photography needs some work! But this was my first attempt on a moving subject!)

woody2000

False widow of some kind? Roper to the thread 🙂

I think it’s a lady spider, so a widow would be apt 🙂

AndyF1
    Free Member

Missing sector spider Zygiella x-notata?

scaredypants

If it’s up a tree, with blue sky behind it, I’m scared 🙁

Vern0n
    Free Member

Missing sector was my hunch , but could be garden spider in funny light!

CountZero

If that’s a fallen tree branch by its side, there’s no way I’m visiting North Yorkshire; they probably account for all the missing people reports…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It’s a Yellow Backed North Yorkshire Man Eating spider. See
    them a lot round Boroughbridge.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

It was a very odd colouring – near black body with a bright yellow stripe down the back – the light is dead flat overcast day with spot on white balance on the camera!

It is, infact, in a sewage treatment plant and the body was only about 8 – 10mm long so I am pretty confident it isn’t a man eater 😉

roper
    Free Member

My guess would be a Zygiella spp of some sort, as been mentioned above. Sometimes when a spider is near a moult it’s colouring will be darker. The light stripe could appear more yellow and Brown’s can appear black. The carapace and pedipalps do look Zygiella.
    Did you see any webs near by?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Nope – nothing around.

It just looked a touch unusual, and not something I have seen in the area before! I was wondering if southern species were marching north or something 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Spidertrackworld’ is closed to new replies.