Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • How dirty is your "work mug?"
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

My mug is badly stained – like I’d never allow at home. It must have a 4 thou. coating of ex-tea / coffee.

Why is it acceptable to drink from a tarnished vessel at work but not at home.

Or am I just a dirty berstard?

binners

You disgust me!

Pigface
    Free Member

Filthy animal

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Mine is pure as the driven snow. I judge workmates who hand me their stained mugs. Foul, despicable creatures.

ads678

I have just changed jobs, and took the opportunity to bleach mine on the home leg of the move to the new office.

I must say I feel better that it’s clean again.

camo16
    Free Member

Mine varies between gleaming white and browner than a dog’s dirty brown bits. Depends on whether I can be bothered washing it, really. But then I can be a right dirty berstard.

avdave2

My boss kindly bleaches mine for me every couple of months or so.

anonymouse
    Free Member

Mine is superficially “cleaned” by wiping it after use with a snotty tissue or similar. Looks as good as new but probably has a load of nasty germs.

binners

One Monday morning, after another weekend left unwashed and unloved, mine physically assaulted me

compositepro
    Free Member

It must have a 4 thou.

wtf …… metric

stevio

last time i cleaned my colleagues mug whilst he was on holiday(15 yrs ago) he came back to work, saw it, and dropped it on the floor. The replacement i had to buy him (deer with a target on – Gary Larson???) is still in use. Looks like a sooty stove chimmney to me but as he says it gets boiling water in it several times a day so it MUST be alright….

brakes
    Free Member

back in my student days I invented the self cleaning mug. I found one that would collect brown stains only up to a certain number of layers (2/3 day’s worth) at which point the stain would fall off and be absorbed by the tea.
    one day the handle fell off and its magical properties were left in shatters across the kitchen floor. a sad day.

samuri
    Free Member

mines clean enough to wash my knob in.

Houns

Mine currently

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

mine’s clean enough to wash my knob in.

650ml capacity, I hope!

Lester
    Free Member

i use a stainless steel camp type mug, eddie bauer version, keeps it hotter longer and come out spotless from the dishwasher and everyone knows its mine

bikebouy
    Free Member

“cough”

Disposable..FTW 😀

Moe

I cleaned a collegues mug once (it looked rank!) and he was not happy! Apparently it enhances the flavour of the tea?

rocketman
    Free Member

Mine is virtually sterile I am not too fond of using minging cups and cutlery tbh

Reluctant
    Free Member

Mine’s sparkly having just had it’s annual clean up 🙂

grim168
    Free Member

Once mine gets a few thou on it it gets cleaned with burtex.(a kind of plastic wire wool we use for polishing titanium). And the spoon stays in the mug always. Daren’t leave it lying around. Wife goes mad when I drink a brew at home with the teaspoon in.

z1ppy

Never understood why ppl do this as “The tannin stains inside the teapot does not improve the taste of tea, but it gives a bitter taste.” so your mug not improved by being stained, it just looks grim and disgusting.

Houns

*slurps*

Houns

Tbh the only reason I don’t give it a good clean is that it’s a thermos mug and it’s not meant to be submerged in water. When I finish work I rinse it with boiling water, dry it off and put it in my man bag. Before I start work I again rinse it in boiling water then make a brew

kcal

I had a mug at first work, not glazed, filter coffee – with the filter on top style.

Eventually it fell and broke, a good 1/3 of the thickness was infused coffee residue 🙂

footflaps

Mine is quite clean as it had it’s weekly scrub last Friday. 5 days x 6 cups of black tea stain it quite heavily though, so it’s normally black when I clean it.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Cupboard full of communal mugs and a dishwasher here, so all shiny, bright white 🙂

Milkie
    Free Member

Mines quite dirty, but I don’t get why..

footflaps

Cupboard full of communal mugs and a dishwasher here, so all shiny, bright white

We have that, but I’m too fussy, so have my own Herdy Mug:

TooTall
    Free Member

I used to have one with a proper tannin tide mark in it. It stopped other people using my mug.

Now I tend to work from home so my mug doesn’t get the chance to ming.

iain1775
    Free Member

Just remembered reading this that I left it on my desk before coming to Hong Kong for 3 weeks so I imagine when I get back it may look like a school biology lesson Petri dish 🙂

edward2000
    Free Member

My farthers mug was so dirty, it made the minutes of a health and safety meeting and was thus condemmed.

True story.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘How dirty is your "work mug?"’ is closed to new replies.