• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Murr.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Spesh Storm: The new Mud X?
  • rewski
    Free Member

So far very impressed after one ride, especially at £40 for two.

z1ppy

Spesh storm = Mud X in my book, that’s no bad thing though.
    Bonty’s were going for the same money last winter, so nothing to choose between em really.

angryratio
    Free Member

Used one last winter as a rear tyre and they’re brill.

Great value tyre… priced the way they should be.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve never used the bonty’s.

Although IIRC last years storms were dual compound, this years arent, but are tubeless, mine are now worn and not sure what to replace them with.

[edit] just rememebered there’s some swamp things in the shed, bring it on winter!

steel4real
    Free Member

More than agree as I find it better than the Mud X !

It’s taller and a bit fatter & grips like velcro on pretty much anything.

I’ve run them the last 2 winters as rear tyres and then come the ‘summer’ they work great as ‘semi slicks’

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

then come the ‘summer’ they work great as ‘semi slicks’

I actualy found they went ‘off’ really quickly in the spring, and had no grip at all in the dry.

donsimon
    Free Member

Better in mud in a Trailraker but draggy in every other situation kind of way, or better in mud yet still pretty quick in a XC whippet kind of way?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

this intruiges me too! i run mud x in the winter – is there something better? are they tubeless ready too?

honourablegeorge

Where can they be had for £40 a pair?

Bucko

I can find Mud X for £20 each at several stores, where did you get Spesh for £20?

rewski
    Free Member

Bike+ in South Croydon.

Paceman
    Free Member

Supertacky Swampthing front and Mud-X rear for me last winter, worked well.

flatpat
    Free Member

Bikeplus for £20 each or £35 a pair.

Esme
    Free Member

Love the Storm Control tyres, but they’ve stopped making the 1.8″ version 🙁 Narrow tyres are MUCH better in mud

Mounty_73

Good to hear, looking for a replacement for my mud x. I also preferred the 1.8’s.

amt27
    Free Member

i bought a pair of these when they first came out, they were good tyres but i had to cut the beads to get the tyre off a rim, after struggling for hours,

bonty mud x, fits on the rim, inflates tubeless first time

dmjb4
    Free Member

I’ve had both. I find the storms tackier and stickier than the mud-x. The storms are better on roots, but the mud-x are a better all round winter tyre. Unfortunately, the mud-x are a bit lighter and have thinner side walls. Mine failed due to a ‘wear split’ where the carcass had creased over time. A few other people I know have the same problem with the mud-x.

I’d summarise this as the mud-x being a great all round winter tyre – but last for one winter only. The spesh storms are a great wet/muddy ride tyre, but perhaps not great as an all rounder or if you ride on the road between fun bits on winter rides.

Murr
    Free Member

Storm i find a bit oh a **** to get on and off and sound like tractor tires when on the road to much bother if a get a puncture and thats on bonty rims so nae gid oot on the trails for me, maybe good for grip total **** to change.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Spesh Storm: The new Mud X?’ is closed to new replies.