Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Spesh 2011 low rent bits same price ?
  • oldfart

Am i missing something ?Has Alivio suddenly been upgraded ?Looking at the Myka FSRs £1500 for the “Elite” only gets you an Octalink Chainset and B/B and Alivio shifters .I think thats more than a bit naughty myself .The difference in price between Octalink and HT 2 is about a tenner when you factor in the B/B so surely it’s a lot less than that for the manufacturer ?Is this a trend that other manufacturer’s are following ?

Wharfedale
    Free Member

In way of comparison. My 08 stumpy fsr expert (£1800 list) came with X0 and X9 mech and shifters, fox rlc forks, xt cranks, Juicy ultimate brakes. It would probably cost £3k to get that spec now.

Scrub that it is £3k now. All be it with nicer hubs and slightly more travel.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Stumpjumper-FSR-Expert-Evo-Mountain-Bike-2011-Full-Suspension-MTB_38806.htm

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Actually looks like the elite is now the equivilent expert. Still £2550 mind.

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product/specializedstumpjumperfsrelitemountainbike2011.aspx?&id=14798

£750 increase over 2 years & some of the bits are low(er) rent now.

rootes1

world economic pressures, exchange rates (tai to US, US to sterling etc) and desire to keep at certain price points..

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Spec always had ‘previous’ on specs. I once, out of boredom worked out it’d be cheaper to buy an S-Works frame and buy the bits myself as Joe Public than what they were charging with their (presumably) good discount on stuff.

Shimano stuff has just gone mental in price, £150+ for XT chainsets?!

I wouldn’t be suprised if there’s been a little bit of loss leading in previous years and maybe the Alvio stuff is a reflection of real price of components.

Though I suspect it’s either a marketing thing – if you’re spending £1500 on a bike you’re serious so maybe ‘another’ £200 to get the next model up with SLX is something you might consider.

Or maybe MTBs aren’t a niche market now so punters will pay the money to get the ‘name’ despite the shoddy kit hanging off it.

ononeorange

11/10 from that “other” magazine, no doubt.

Scamper
    Free Member

My 09 Stumpy Elite was £1850, and looks almost identical spec to the above Elite.

stumpy01

2010 Elite has pretty much the same spec as the Elite above (although the 2011 one does come with the Brain shock, instead of the Triad) and it’s £350 more this year….
    My Elite last year was £2200, so a similar rise from 2009 to 2010 as 2010 to 2011…..

I was overall quite pleased with the spec of my Stumpjumper, apart from the really cheap crankset, which I swapped out for my XT. I’d have rather had a nice crankset and an XT or SLX rear mech, rather than the Shadow XTR carbon that gets people looking in the showroom.

ononeorange – Member
    11/10 from that “other” magazine, no doubt.

That’s really quite boring now. If you look back over the last few years Spesh hasn’t done that well in magazine reviews (ahem, MBR), with brands like La Pierre, Orange & Whyte often out-doing them.
    The Stumpy Elite that MBR had last year as a long-termer got fairly well panned from the off, even though BikeRadar reckoned it was one of the best trail bikes they’d ever ridden.

Scamper
    Free Member

Yep, which mine had a decent crank set instead of bling rear mech, but there you go. Stumpjumpers seem to be a rare sight out and about now compared to comething like an Orange 5. No complaints about mine apart form the front end is a bit shakey on fast loose rocky decents.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Spesh 2011 low rent bits same price ?’ is closed to new replies.