Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Spelling mental circles
  • Cougar

Do you any have words that you know you always misspell, so whenever you start typing them you think, “no, it’s the other way” and do the opposite of what you were going to type? Then eventually you subconsciously learn to spell it and ‘correct’ it incorrectly when you were right the first time? And then later still, you forget whether the correct spelling or the incorrect correction is actually correct, so start typing it incorrectly again, and then have to start amending it like you did in the first place, and round and round you go? Or is that just my Aspie brain being obtusely weird at me?

That is to say, I’m not talking about words you *can’t* spell, rather that you can’t spell reliably / consistently on a first attempt. As soon as I’ve got it wrong I can immediately see it’s wrong without needing a spell-checker.

And if you do, what words, and do you employ any brain hacks to fix these problem children?

jam-bo

Altantic.

Every Time.

And I’m an oceanographer.

Wookster

Maintenance……….cannot spell this for some reason! I want to spell it maintain-ence ( with out the hyphen) but I am a gobshite……

perchypanther
    Free Member

Separate. I know it’s not seperate but I can’t help it..

Cougar

Yeah, I’ll ditto maintenance, it’s a double-whammy for me because I look for word stems in spelling which means I start out at maintain-ance. I’ve had to type it sufficiently often at work now though that I think I’ve finally fixed it with plain old muscle memory.

Separate / seperate also (I actually got it wrong first time after literally just reading it in that last post!)

cloudnine
    Free Member

Recieve .. I know.. i before e except after c but still spell recieve wrong every time

Cougar

i before e except after c

This is a really annoying mnemonic, because it’s wrong as it stands. It should be “I before E except after E, when the vowel sounds like EE.”

Alex

Institution – (third attempt there) and since all my work is Higher-Ed this is not ideal..

Oh and there is a rat in separate 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I have a few, but the best trick is to hit Google 🙂

One today was superceded .. is it superseded or superceded..? Google knows.

One word I never get wrong is “determined” – because, in a reading test at school about 40 years ago, I read it incorrectly. It was the only word I got wrong, so I checked it afterwards and have never forgotten!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Oh and there is a rat in separate

…..and also in seperate, so I’m not sure how that helps?

Edit: arat not erat! ……gotcha….thanks

Cougar

is it superseded or superceded..?

Or supersceded. (Sorry).

It’s a bugger is that one, because you’ve got supersede and concede and they totally should be the same word stem.

Jamie
    Free Member

Neccesesry.

Neccesasery.

Nesesaary.

**** it.

jam-bo

**** it.

Reported. Unnecessary profanity…

Jamie
    Free Member

Was that really nesecery neccessary nessecary…. **** it.

Cougar

“needed” – HTH. (-:

bikebouy
    Free Member

cloudnine – Member
    Recieve .. I know.. i before e except after c but still spell recieve wrong every time

Still do this, after all these years..

Their/thier, yes I know.. and on the iPad I have to back space to correct every bleeding time

perchypanther
    Free Member

superseded

One of my first ever tasks in my career was to go through an enormous big box of architectural and structural drawings for the main Royal Mail sorting office which was being built in Glasgow and mark each superseded drawing with a huge S/S in black marker pen.
    It took days.

Since then, spelling it has not been a problem.

Cougar

Their/thier, yes I know..

Brain hack for this – every version of that word starts with “the.” Their / they’re / there.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well, bloody hell.

Why didn’t I think of that … 🙄

Cheers.

Cougar

My brain is a big old ball of linguistic Elastoplasts.

Eg, a lot of people have trouble with definite / definate. This is a word stem fix – there’s de-finite-ly no word as “finate.”

roper
    Free Member

I’m dyslexic so most bloody words either look wrong or I have spelt them wrong but think they are right. I can’t even check them over as I still see the same mistake if it’s there or not. I hate my head sometimes.

ajantom

Independant/Independent.

I always go for the French spelling. Every bloody time!

SaxonRider

None. I’m purfect.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Eg, a lot of people have trouble with definite / definate

This is ubiquitous. I vote we change the spelling to how we all say it.
    Definut / definutly.

upshift
    Free Member

Gague.
    Guage
    Gage.

Fk.

tjagain

definitely I never get right first time. People is another

leffeboy

Oh and there is a rat in separate

thank you thank you thank you
    that’s me fixed

Now to fix my daughter who texted me to say she was ‘going back to the howse’

scaredypants

jam bo – Member
    Altantic.
    Every Time.
    And I’m an oceanographer

sPacifically that one or do you struggle with others too ?

jam-bo

Now you mention it, you’d be suprised how little sea ice there is in the artic.

Cougar

Now to fix my daughter

I’ve a friend on Facebook who keeps talking about her “dorta.” I keep meaning to buy a puppy so I can kick it.

Now you mention it, you’d be suprised how little sea ice there is in the artic.

You’d probably fit quite a bit in the back of a lorry.

Cougar

Also, “suRprised.” (-: Muphry’s Law.

slowoldman

Whenever I finish an email:

Regrads

Actually a typo rather than being unsure of the spelling.

Superficial
    Free Member

Neccesesry.

Neccesasery.

Nesesaary.

**** it.

1 coffee, 2 sugars. Necessary.

I hate words that sound very similar but the spelling changes the meaning. “Homophones”, apparently. E.g. Stationary / Stationery. The absolute worst is Compliment / Complement, because they basically mean the same thing – “I received a compliment because my tie complemented my shirt.”

Oh, and I can’t force my brain to understand why “comprised of” is wrong, but that’s a grammar thing not a spelling thing I guess.

Cougar

The absolute worst is Compliment / Complement

That completely hadn’t occurred to me, so thanks for that.

Cougar

I can’t force my brain to understand why “comprised of” is wrong

Is it? Why?

DenDennis
    Free Member

rhythm.
    does it have two h’s ?

Cougar

For some weird reason I keep wanting to put an ‘n’ at the end of it. I think in a past life I may have conflated it with “hymn.”

Stoner
    Free Member

Dave, not Steve.

Bear with me

My “new” barber, looks a lot like my mate Steve from School.
    Every time I go in, the girl offers me a seat at her chair and I say confidently that “it’s OK, I’ll wait for Steve”. She looks at Dave and says each time, “you’re Steve today”.

I made an entry in my Contacts list for my Barber that says “DAVE – ITS NOT STEVE FROM SCHOOL: REMEMBER ITS THE OPPOSITE”.

I went in for a hair cut last week but didnt bother reading my note, and proudly hollered to the girl that I’d wait for Pete!

FFS.

timba
    Free Member

Accommodate / accomodate

Also similar sounding words that exist as a noun and a verb (there’s probably a word for that that I won’t be able to spell 🙂 ):

Practice / practise
    (I remember these and similar spellings by applying “advice” and “advise” to the same sentence)

Affect / effect

njee20
    Free Member

Discrete and discreet, one means on the sly, one means something that stands alone. Never know which is which.

Ditto practice/practise, one’s the noun, one’s the verb.

+1 for maintainence.

Rhythm Has Your Two Hips Moving, which I just used to spell it in that mnemonic!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Spelling mental circles’ is closed to new replies.