Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Speeding ticket
  • speed2
    Free Member

Has anyone ever got a fine from speeding the opposite side of the road? 😯

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes, I was speeding on the left-hand of the road, and the copper was on the opposite side.

No wait, whilst I think about it, I think he might have been on the left-hand side of the road as well. So that’ll be a no then. Probably.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The speed limit is not related to to the side of the road you are speeding on.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Gatso camera? Cop with a speed gun?

speed2
    Free Member

Thought it wasn’t supposed to flash in your face @ TandemJ

v8ninety

Truvelos flash in your face (purple, blinding) gatsos flash behind you. I have noticed that some gatsos seem to trigger when you approach them at above limit speeds on the opposite side of the road, but I’ve never received an NIP from one in this manner.

mc
    Free Member

Not flashing in your face is an urban myth.

And Gatsos can do you on either side of the road, if they’ve been setup for it.

dr_adams
    Free Member

yeah purple flash in face… not ideal at all!
    i’ve never seen them go off on other side from road mind.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“A Gatso camera can only catch vehicles travelling away from it. When there is no film in a Gatso, the trigger threshold for a flash is often lowered, and the camera may be set to also flash approaching vehicles. This is what gives rise to the phenomenon you have observed.

It is important to distinguish Gatsos from Truvelo cameras, which do catch oncoming vehicles, but only emit a faint infra-red flash.”

Bernaard
    Free Member

If the cop was holding a speed gun they can stand on any side of the road.
    They point a beam at your number plate and the rebounding bean to the unit determines your speed.
    Gatsos can flash if you go through the opposite way but won’t give a reading
    The other purple ones work similar to the speed Hun

Sounds like an appeal is being sought for you being caught methinks

TheFlyingOx

There’s a couple of speed cameras on the A1 southbound out of Edinburgh that erm… a friend may have got to flash from the northbound carriageway. I’ve… I mean he’s never had a ticket.

v8ninety

, but only emit a faint infra-red flash.”

Well that’s nonsense, (no offence Ernie) it’s retina searingly bright, especially at night, badly affects your night vision immediately afterwards.

GrahamS

I didn’t realise some folk could see infra-red. Must make your telly remote look like a torch!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve set them of whilst riding on my roadie, never been ticketed (yet)

RustyMac

Set one off driving towards it once but didn’t get a ticket. This may be utter tripe but i was led to believe that the cameras were not clibrated for reading the speeds in the other direction so could not give an accurate reading therefore can not issue a ticket.

v8ninety

I didn’t realise some folk could see infra-red. Must make your telly remote look like a torch!

I’m thinking it may not be a pure infrared flash then, especially given it’s bright purple appearance…

thegreatape
    Free Member

If it’s a speed gun you can.

maccruiskeen

Well that’s nonsense, (no offence Ernie) it’s retina searingly bright, especially at night, badly affects your night vision immediately afterwards.

I think you’re confusing gatso with paparazzo. That bright flash is some grubby press hound trying to get a photo of your knickers as you get out of the car.

higthepig
    Free Member

Has anyone ever got a fine from speeding the opposite side of the road?

Yup, but then I live in Holland

downgrade
    Free Member

should have used Cruise Control

Olly
    Free Member

were you speeding?

if so, take it like a man.

gatsos are rear only, but can take you if you are travelling on the other side of the road (overtaking position). or at least, i figure that is why the paint is there!

plop_pants
    Free Member

Phew! Nearly got my last hobnob out for this one, but its safely back in the packet.

Cougar

at least, i figure that is why the paint is there!

You’re almost right, it’s there to make you think that.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Speeding ticket’ is closed to new replies.