Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 208 total)
  • Speeding penalty
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

My wife has just got another speeding penalty notice – but its from early May – I heard that they had to issue them out within a certain time period otherwise they would not be valid. Does anyone know anything about this?

She has to got to a disciplinary meeting late this afternoon as this takes he to 12 points now and she needs her licence fore work.

Kit
    Free Member

This thread's going to be a big 'un!

If she needs her licence for work, what's she doing speeding?

Shakey
    Free Member

You could take the points for her 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Is it a lease car or is she the registered owner?

Junkyard
    Free Member

she could learn to drive at the speed limit perhaps this is the way to teachher …sorry if that sounds harsh but she does not seem to be learning a lesson here

MrNutt
    Free Member

I'd request a speeding exemption from the magistrate, she's clearly very busy and every second when she's not doing business is a tangible loss t the company. I'm sure they'll understand. 🙂

(I have 3 points for speeding, on the way to work, past the same static speed camera I drove past twice a day for three years, a day before the council turned all the speed cameras off, because life does that sort of thing to me, oh and I'm a ****)

xcgb
    Free Member

No time limit as far as i'm aware

giddyrob
    Free Member

The trick is to not get caught…..

Now in NZ they hide the **** things! I learn't the hard way 🙁 I did however do a bit of a dukes of hazard style hiding down a side road till the cop, who had turned round to chase me, had gone.

surfer
    Free Member

What Junkyard said.

Luminous
    Free Member

IIRC, 5 O have to issue the paper within 14 days…..

Luminous
    Free Member

she does not seem to be learning a lesson here

Have to agree there, 9 points aint an accident.
    😉

dooosuk
    Free Member

Go ask on http://www.pepipoo.com

There's loads of experts on the site as it's specifically for this type of query.

alexxx
    Free Member

There i something like a 3 month window of issuing I heard, I'd look into that more

aracer
    Free Member

Has to be notified to the registered keeper within 2 weeks – if she's not the registered keeper (leased etc.) then they can take as long as they like to notify her after that.

As others have said, if I needed my licence for work and had 9 points I'd be crawling everywhere.

jp-t853

Some authorities publish that they must issue the ticket within 30 days. Go to the relevant website and have a look.

uplink
    Free Member

They have to issue [post]the intention to prosecute notice within 14 days of the offence to the cars registered keeper
    Company car ones obviously get sent to the company or lease company etc. & can then take a while to get to the driver

If they posted it within the 14 days, she's had it – if they didn't she stands a good chance of avoiding the fine & points

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I think there's a 14 day limit also but it may be that its 14 days to issue the ticket to the owner of the vehicle. If its a lease company car then the ticket will have been sent to the lease company and they may have delayed forwarding it to your wife fo some reason. Not sure where she stands in those circumstances.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

so bushwacked – who is the registered owner????????

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Okay, the facts are:

NIP must be sent out within 14 days. This applies to the registered cars keeper/driver.

If the car is a lease car, hire car, company car etc then they have 6 months.

How do I know this? I worked for a company and we had 3 guys who kept speeding and getting caught. Our company cars were leased and the manager would lose his rag every few weeks as another NIP would land on his desk. lol. Fortunately everything was logged so it was easy to find out who it was.

Oh, and 9 points! I don't need to comment on that one… lol

IdleJon

Zedsdead – Member

Oh, and 9 points! I don't need to get any more abuse!!!!!!……

Plus a massive increase in her car insurance (if she insures the car herself) – that's assuming that she can get any, because a plenty of insurers won't touch anyone with 12 points plus.

Cougar

By "speeding penalty notice" do you mean a Notice of Intention to Prosecute?

A NIP should be issued to the registered keeper within 14 days of the (alleged) offence I believe, though if she was stopped by the police rather than caught on camera then this won't apply – they will have given her a verbal NIP at the scene.

Note that if it's taken a while to track down the driver, this is outside of the 14 days. Ie, if the keeper and driver are different, the RK can't sit on it for a month before passing it on to the driver who then goes "14 days, hah!"

As for the "should have known better" argument; the real problem to my mind isn't the speeding in and of itself, but speeding whilst not paying attention to what she's doing. If you're going to drive fast you need to be constantly aware of what's going on around you, not seeing four speed traps would point towards observation issues.

If she needs her car for work and would be sacked if she lost her licence, you may have a case for claiming unnecessary hardship. Expect a hefty fine and perhaps a speed awareness course (which should really be coupled with a 'look where you're bloody going' course, when I'm in charge etc etc)

Zedsdead
    Free Member

IdleJon, I decided to edit that as I thought he's going to get enough abuse on here lol.

But you're right. Although, I do wonder how many people are honest and do actually tell their insurance company if they have points and how many?….

IdleJon

Zed, sorted for you! 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Surely any right-thinking person will tell their insurance company how many points they have – otherwise they may find them not paying up in the event of a claim.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

As for the argument of 'I need a license for work'

It will most likely go like this…

defence – my client requires a license for work blah blah hardship etc blah blah…

judge – does your husband work?

defence – yes, but…

judge – tough! Banned for a year and £400 fine. NEXT!

They're harsh!

freeridenick
    Free Member

No point having insurance if you don't tell them. It would be invalid anyway.

Speeding kills – no sympathy here.

Luminous
    Free Member

Although, I do wonder how many people are honest and do actually tell their insurance company if they have points and how many?….

But that just makes it worse doesn't it, as fibbing to the insurance Co, just means you're not insurred 😯

IdleJon

mastiles, but most sensible people would only have 3 or maybe 6 if they were 'unlucky'.

If your insurance found out that you had 3 points which you didn't declare, they would mostly just charge the correct premium backdated to when you should have declared the points, as opposed to voiding the policy.

Covering up 12 points would be a little more serious though. (Not that I'm suggesting the Ops wife to be doing this.)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

No sympathy, everyone has probably speeded some time in their life, but after your first 3 points people tend to learn. If it was permanent camera have 14 days to serve NIP to registered keeper, if it's a hire car or business car it can easily take months to reach the driver!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Perhaps, but would anyone think it wise not to tell an insurance company even if it was 'just' 3 points? Write off a £20k car, insurance company looking to make savings, sees you haven't notified them about something that invalidates the policy, it just gives them a very easy out.

takisawa2

If all 12 points are for speeding then She's in a whole lot of trouble, & in all honsety there is a problem here, that needs to be addressed.
    It took a Senior Director of a firm I knew to fly to N.Irelend to plead the case for a rep who was in a simmillar position. He kept his licence though.

anjs
    Free Member

Was she done by a camera or stopped by the police? If the later they have 6 months for the paper work to come through.

TheBrick
    Free Member

No sympathy. If she has so many points and needs the car for work she should take more care.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Well if she is hot/fit/busty…

And I was the judge…I'd let her get away with it as they do!

Ok bring in the Black guy who parked 1 minute longer than he should have in a 1hr zone…prision sentence 12 yrs!

Try saying it was you instead and spank her bottom in return?

😯

Hohum
    Free Member

Does she have a dead relative she can palm the points off on like that woman did a couple of months ago?

alexxx
    Free Member

speeding doesnt kill. bad driving kills.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Don't think you will get away with it by not telling insurers.

We just have gone through a vehicle write-off process, and the last step before they sent us the cheque was a teleconference call with the DVLA to make sure our licences were – as we had stated – clean.

IanMunro
    Free Member

guns dont kill people rappers do

Frankenstein
    Free Member

alexxx – Member
    speeding doesnt kill. bad driving kills.

So does denial.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 208 total)

The topic ‘Speeding penalty’ is closed to new replies.