Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Specialized Tyres and Sealant
  • peteimpreza

I have a butcher/slaughter combination on the wheels of my BFe at the moment .

The tyres are superb but the sealant I use in them is drying out very quickly . About a month at the moment .

Its the same sealant used in Maxxis and Continental UST tyres previously and the with those the sealant has stayed liquid for a much longer period . Six months or more .

What sealant are you using in your Specialized tyres and how long does it stay liquid ?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Similar setup here with Spesh Butcher and Purgatory tyres on both of my bikes. I use common or garden Stan’s fluid, which does the job very well and doesn’t seem to dry out for several months.

Northwind

I always used Stans, no bother with those.

simondbarnes

Stans. Lasts ages.

ads678

Stans here as well with purgatory & ground control tyres. hasn’t dried out in the 2 months it’s been in. They do sweat though!

Tracey

We are running both Grid and Control versions. Use Stans in ours and Stans Race in Abigales. Never had a problem with them drying out but do have a bit of a regimented process in checking all our tyres.
    Only ever had sidewall weeping on a Purgatory Control

From a previous post

Do them all every three months, valve core out and top up with an old stans bottle, core back in, re inflate and spin wheel. Takes us about a hour to do nine bikes. All done at the same time so we don’t miss one. Even if we have had to replace a tyre in between it still gets done at the same time.

Was building up a new frame last night with bits from the back of the garage. Using Abigales old Roval carbons which still had the Buthcher and Purgatory Grids fitted. The wheels hadnt been used or moved in 12 months, popped the rim to check and still loads in it.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

I started a thread a few days ago with some ‘bleeding’ specialized tyres, I’ve not noticed the sealant drying out as such (no more so than normal), but there will be at least some escaping through the sidewalls, particularly with the control casing (less so with the grid). I probably just add a bit extra now to allow for this.

Linky to previous thread if interested: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/my-tyres-are-bleeding

iainc

Tracey – I meant to ask you on the old thread, when you

top up with an old stans bottle

what volume to you put in to top up each tyre ?

Thanks

Tracey

About a quarter of one of these bottles, so about 15ml

I took a tyre off the back of Abigales Enduro to patch three of the bigger cuts and was suprised that it still had most of the Stans Race fluid still in it, sucked it out with a syringe and reused it

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

sucked it out with a syringe and reused it

Best done with the red scoop Tracey, the particles are rather large in the race stuff, about the size and shape of the wee rubber pointy bits you get on new tyres, and will struggle to get into a syringe, that’s why they advise not to use a syringe to fill via the presta on the Race bottle.

mark90
    Free Member

I use one of these liberated from the kitchen for scooping and filling duties….

It even has measuring graduations 😀

Tracey

One of these syringes for emptying, I know they dont advise it but not had a problem filling through the valve with the Race stuff and the small bottle

I use the powder ball of a washing powder bottle for measuring and filling up a new tyre

peteimpreza

Thanks for all the replies .

We may have the rare occurrence of a STW consensus!!

I will give Stans a go .

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Tyres and Sealant’ is closed to new replies.