Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Specialized Roubaix?
  • bol

I’ve finally accepted the fact that my rather nice Planet X Sportive Ti is a bit small for me. The riser stem and yard of seatpost should have been a clue.

The opportunity looks like it has arisen to acquire a 2010 Roubaix S-Works SL2 frame in a suitable size. I know they’re good, and it seems to be a truism that most middle aged blokes on Tarmacs would be better off on a Roubaix. It just seems a bit of an old man’s bike with its Zerts inserts and stuff. Am I being a dick?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Interesting, you sell me it back? 😀

RoterStern
    Free Member

I am a middle aged man with an S-Works Tarmac which also has those zerts inserts. I don’t know if it is the Zerts or the frame in general but the damping effect going over bumpy stuff like cobbles is really stunning. When I first rode the bike I thought I’d got a puncture after the first set of cobbles as the feeling was so soft. When I have been racing on it I am noticably quicker than others when we hit a section of pave. I personally think the Roubaix is a really nice looking bike and it doesn’t conjure images of geriatrics in lycra for me.

bol

BDB, it’s yours if you want it. The only change is that it now has a white Planet X fork, as I needed a longer steerer.

Roter, this is the problem. The mid life crisis in me wants the Tarmac instead.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

the Roubaix is a Mans bike!

Radioman

I have a roubaix comp 2009. Superb bike. What’s wrong with enjoying comfort? It goes fast especipally on long rides. A great bike. The only thing I changed was the tyres. The smooth damping on the frame helps it glide along.. The angles and position are excellent for me.

Roulercoaster
    Free Member

Old mans bike – crazy fool!! Watch Tom Boonen win the hardest day race in the world tomorrow on a Spesh Roubaix.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tom-boonens-new-specialized-roubaix-sl4

smell_it
    Free Member

I don’t see many younger blokes on ti road bikes, they seem to be a 40th birthday treat, so I can’t see the Roubaix really trashing your image.

Roulercoaster
    Free Member

smell_it – Member
    I don’t see many younger blokes on ti road bikes, they seem to be a 40th birthday treat, so I can’t see the Roubaix really trashing your image.

lol – MLC material.

bol

I haven’t really got an image to trash – and a couple of good mates have Roubaix. Thanks, I feared I was being a tool. I think I’ll go for it if the sums add up.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The only problem with a Roubaix as opposed to a Tarmac is when someone asks what model of bike it is, its knowing how to pronounce it properly.

globalti
    Free Member

I have a 2006 Rouubaix and I don’t believe those inserts actually do anything; however I do believe the bendy stays soak up a lot of bumps because you can feel them flexing if you ride slowly over a rough surface.

tang
    Free Member

Roubaix is a great frame, just right for uk roads! All my pro roadie mates sniff at ti as a race material.

kennyp
    Free Member

I test rode a Roubaix this morning and was very impressed. Not the quickest bike in the world by a long shot, but I’m never going to race. Took it down a cobbled street near the Bike Co-Op in Edinburgh and it was very comfy. Ideal for long spportives I reckon. Very tempted to get one now.

Oh, and given what’s on this afternoon it did seem the perfect day to be testing one.

kennyp
    Free Member

The only problem with a Roubaix as opposed to a Tarmac is when someone asks what model of bike it is, its knowing how to pronounce it properly.

Please tell me that’s a joke. If not then it’s Roo-Bay.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Great frame, and Spec customer service is great – my first one suffer minor delamination of the lacquer, Spec swapped it without question, and let me upgrade to the S-Works version for a wee bit extra.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Slow bike ? Old mans bike ?
    3rd time in the last 5 years I think Paris Roubaix has been won on a Roubaix .

jamesco

Don’t be sowing any seeds of doubt here, it’s the bike I’ve been lusting for the last 3 or 4 years, and some of those 23c phat tyres as well, phwoar !

globalti
    Free Member

The rear stays flex so much on rough surfaces that I have found abrasions to the inside of the top of the chainstays, where they join, from when I was using a very deep profile tyre and it must have actually contacted the frame. Amazing.

nosedive
    Free Member

one of my riding buddies has one, he reckons it is faster over very long distances due to the effect of the less punishing ride. he uses it in preference to faster bikes for anything over about 70 miles. great bike if you can afford it

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Roubaix?’ is closed to new replies.