Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Specialized Pitch – Hope Hoops – Which Rims?
  • DaleyExpress
    Free Member

Got a Pitch Pro
    Ride: trail centres, Hebden, Gisburn Forest, etc
    Weigh: 13.5 stone

Getting some Hope Hoops

Question is: Which rims?? Not too bothered about tubless

grumm
    Free Member

Flows definitely. I have a pitch and the flows are perfect. And you should try them tubeless IMO.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Flows. Tubelessed. I have had zero punctures on this set up and have ridden (proper) doonhillit on them and the Mega and they’re fine.

GW
    Free Member

flows but find somewhwere more interesting to ride make it worthwhile

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Hebden is pretty interesting GW.

JonBurns
    Free Member

I went with Flows but haven’t quite got round to going tubeless just yet….but will….when the garage is warmer.

DaleyExpress
    Free Member

Thanks

Mavic EX721s any good?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

About as strong as flows, not as wide and a big chunk (over 1/2 pound for a wheelset) heavier.

DaleyExpress
    Free Member

Flows it is then

Thanks for all the input

tk46hal
    Free Member

Mavic 717’s have been good for me with the pro 2 hubs!

lucien

Flows on my Pitch and tubeless 🙂

Northwind

Flows without a doubt.

ansdy

is there room for 1 more recommendation for a Pitch with Flows?- good.

sv

I will try and squeeze in another pro2/flows on Pitch rec! Tubeless also.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Just to reinforce the points being made here.

I’ve run Flows for the last four years on my trail bikes. They are super tough for their weight and strong enough for light DH use by a smooth/light rider.

I’m niether of those things but so far I’ve never managed to ding, bend or crisp a Flow; although I’ve never actually crash tested one.

Just recently I bought a new set of wheels and decided to give Mavic 819s a chance. I had them built up using Hadley hubs, DT Swiss Competition spokes and shod with Maxxis Ardent LUST 2.25s

On my home scales, the complete wheel, with tyre is 80g heavier than the Flows, which are built on Pro2 hubs, same spokes but with a Maxxis High Roller set up tubeless with a rim strip and liquid.

So the morale there – the Flows are wider than the 819s, lighter and easily as strong.

I doubt the Flows are as strong or stiff as a Mavic 721 though; the 721 is a full on DH rim and as such it weighs considerably more so you’d expect it to be stronger and stiffer.

Just a final word about what people should be looking for from a wheel as people are often preocupied with ‘strenght’ when actually stiffness is probably the more noticeable quality. Put a bike sideways through a hard turn and you’ll feel immedaitely the difference between a wheel that is strong but not stiff and one that is both.

I ran a set of Specliazed Roval Controles for a little while and while ‘strong’ enough not to collapse on me, they were a flexible as a piece of paper and the ride quality was poor as a result.

DaleyExpress
    Free Member

Feel a little embarassed to have asked the question now!!!!

Looks like its Tubeless Flows all the way….. Order placed.

Hopefully my Renthal Bars and Stem will arrive today too. I seem to be reverting to my spend thrift type!!!!!!!!!

nosedive
    Free Member

I put stans arch on my pitch and they have stood up to all sorts of silly crashes and some light downhilling. shame hope dont offer them as an option on hoops though

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

On my home scales, the complete wheel, with tyre is 80g heavier than the Flows

Well, you can get 50-100g variation in two ‘identical’ tyres so that point is pretty much invalid….

geetee1972
    Free Member

Well, you can get 50-100g variation in two ‘identical’ tyres so that point is pretty much invalid….

As much as that? I didn’t know that.

scruff
    Free Member

I use Stans for a tubeless set up but dont ride a wheel until 3 months have elapsed after installation, the water in the liquid dries out and you save 20-35g per wheel and no significant loss of air.

Northwind

PeterPoddy – Member

“Well, you can get 50-100g variation in two ‘identical’ tyres so that point is pretty much invalid….”

It is… But despite that, the Flows are still lighter so though the example’s not great the point’s right.

bigbloke
    Free Member

FWIW…my Pitch Pro has Hope Pro2 with Mavic 521, seem ok but i am no expert.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Pitch – Hope Hoops – Which Rims?’ is closed to new replies.