Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Specialized Eskar – being Retired?
  • cookeaa

I heard that the Specialized were getting rid of the Eskar, I really quite like this tire and was hoping it wasn’t the case, Their Website however now show the “Eskar2” which looks very similar TBH…

Can I call off the panic buying?
    Have they simply added a ‘2’ to the name or should I be stockpiling now?
    An If it is going what’s the replacement likely to be?

xiphon
    Free Member

I have a pair of Eskar’s for sale if you need some?

cookeaa

NOOOOOO!!!

I’ve not used Purgatorys or a Butchers yet myself, so I’m not sure how they compare…
    Purgatory doesn’t look massively different, perhaps a few more centre blocks, does it roll as wel?l
    Butcher is just a “Minion-a’like” from what I can tell, any good? must be draggier…

I really like the Eskars, they just seem to work well for me; light-ish weight, faster rolling and reasonably good corner traction, Why do they have to kill them off the Buggers!

Xiphon, how old/used are they and what you after for them?

xiphon
    Free Member

cookeaa – check your email 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not sure which eskars I’ve got on the pitch, but I’ve purgatory’s on the 29er. The purgatory’s are knoblier and a slightly harder compound so on ballance roll about the same over hard packed surfaces, and grip marginaly less in the dry but significanly more in the mud. Probably a good option for Autumn through to Spring with the Eskars for the summer, maybe even with something even faster rolling on the rear for the one month of the year when it’s actualy properly dry.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve just switched to a Purgatory up front and a Captain out back on my FS trail bike, the switch is from Nobby Nic / Racing Ralph.

I find the Specalized combo grippier and nearly as fast.

If any of that helps

Northwind

The Butcher Control will be good though. Eskar’s always been a bit of an odd one, aggressive shape but fairly hard compound.

saladdodger
    Free Member

steve_b77 – Member
    I’ve just switched to a Purgatory up front and a Captain out back on my FS trail bike, the switch is from Nobby Nic / Racing Ralph.

I find the Specalized combo grippier and nearly as fast.

If any of that helps

I have done exactly the same and I agree

Simon

I’ve got an Eskar2 and an Eskar and I can’t see any difference 😕

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Thought I had Conti Mountain kings front & back 😳 turns out I kept the Eskar control on the back and conti on the rear, was going to get a high roller for the front as I tore the eskar that was on the front, will pay a visit to Tweeks tomorrow as I’m work nearby as they have High Rollers on offer.

schnor
    Free Member

I’ve been weaning myself off eskars since xmas and TBH I’ve found bontrager FR4’s much better 😮

Not quite as rounder a profile so leaning hard takes a while to get used to, a touch heavier and draggier uphill in mud, and although they’re a fiver more expensive they’ve got more grip pretty much everywhere (especially wet rock / muddy decents, obviously not sure about summer conditions yet), roll noticeably faster on hardpack, and so far the treads are lasting longer and the sidewalls haven’t torn yet. But they’re a **** to get onto flows 😐

cookeaa

I suppose if it’s going I should start looking for an Eskar replacement that does the same/similar job (even if I stockpile them now I can’t see that supply lasting forever)…

Looking at the above suggestions, I think will have to give the Purgatory a go at some point I think, I might take a look at the Butcher for the front of my DH bike (Although that doesn’t look like a Cheap replacement) and looking at the FR4 it reminds me a bit of the old Speccy ‘Enduro’ tire which was frankly toss (IMO) Dunno about the captain, I had a 2.0 on the back of my HT which was alright (Not Stunning) in the dry, I might be tempted to try the 2.2 on there once the 2.0″ Michelins on my HT wear out…

Basically there doesn’t seem to be a straight replacement out there for Eskars and I’m actually not that keen to go back to High-Rollers if I can help it…

Just browsing through tires has about Anyone tried a WTB “Dissent”? looks a bit Butcher-esq for substantially less money, in a firmer shore rubber, could be a goer for the DH bike?
    TBH I think I’ve got what look like some reasonable choices for DH tires really…

This is turning into a “What tires for someone who’s become far too used to using Eskars all the time on every bike?” thread…

Cheers All…

Stiggy

Purgatory front, Captain back is a good combo indeed, I’ve been trying the new Ground Control on the back for winter and like it, bit slower, bit grippier in mud, as you’d expect really.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Eskar – being Retired?’ is closed to new replies.