Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Speccy Four Eyes
  • Xylene
    Free Member

I have to wear specs when riding. Every thing is so much clearer that way.

I have at times though found that my specs vibrate with my bike leading to a somewhat blurred image ahead of me.

Any other glasses wearers got any top tips? I was considering some goggles, but even I have a little bit of fashion sense.

Potter
    Free Member

i have this problem too mate
    was looking for some riding glasses/sunnies but cant find any for my prescription which is a bit of a pain

samuri
    Free Member

contact lenses?

These guys managed to produce sunglasses for my mental prescription, try them.
    http://www.optilabs.com/

Xylene
    Free Member

Having just googled – prescription sports sunglasses – ~190 quid. A tad pricey.

Xylene
    Free Member

contact lenses?

Never worn them, never wanted to, can't justify the costs.

Thought about it when gas permeable lenses were common, but it's all throw away these days.

Xylene
    Free Member

A proper google is bringing up some sensible prices ~50-100 quid which is tolerable.

philsimm
    Free Member

contact lenses?
    Never worn them, never wanted to, can't justify the costs.

Thought about it when gas permeable lenses were common, but it's all throw away these days.

THESE GUYS do a months supply of dailies for a tenner delivered in a good range of prescriptions too – always found them spot on and about the cheapest around

samuri
    Free Member

And you'll not be wearing a pair a day. My months worth of dailies last me about three months, and I ride my bike a lot.

samuri
    Free Member

And thanks philsimm, those do look very cheap, I'll give them a try.

Xylene
    Free Member

I shall use my free time to go and get an eye check up. I think it's been 5 years. I'll find out as well if they can do contacts for astygmatism or not now.

Then buy cheaper online (possibly) or just get sunny's and stop being a cheap bugger, and maybe even new glasses, but that would be pushing it. Same frames for 10 years now.

iainc

spec wearer here – my 'normal' specs are light bendy flexy Nike's – however they too move around a lot on the bike and vision gets disturbed. So I have a pair of less smart ones, with conventional straight legs, with springs – the legs sit snugger to my face, well inside the helmet straps and they fit more tighly behind my ears – works for me !

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I have an astigmatism and use contacts for cycling and skiing. Focus daily torics.

epicyclo

Same problem as OP.

I have given up and no longer wear glasses. This has the advantage that the singletrack doesn't look so rough in places, it has the disadvantage that I keep getting surprises… 🙂

But it works and I have done this in all the races I have been in for the last 4 years.

samuri
    Free Member

I think it's been 5 years. I'll find out as well if they can do contacts for astygmatism or not now.

They've done normal contacts and monthlies for years, even for severe astigmatism but it's only recently dailys have become available for wonky eye as bad as mine.

They're ace but they do make cylindrical things look a lot bigger. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Underhill
    Free Member

I've heard good things about Dixon RX TAC-3s. Can be purchased as prescription or non-prescription.

toons
    Free Member

They look all right.

Xylene
    Free Member

I was thinking of looking at Bolle safety specs. I'm sure they used to do prescription versions.

I'll have a proper look at that last link tomorrow.

gcaster
    Free Member

My glasses always tend to slide down my nose with the vibrations which is really annoying on long downhill sections! Sports sunglasses are great but I know Oakley don't make curved lenses for my prescription 'cos I'm apparently too blind.

@philsimm
    Great recommendation, I've just ordered a months supply from them. Hopefully I'll get on with them alright, £10 a month is ridiculously cheap. My optician charges £32 for a months supply which is outrageous.
    Thanks a lot.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

I got a pair of Adidas shades which have seperate prescription inserts, which I have found great for the past year, with the slight issue of misting up slighty when winching myself up steep singletrack.
    However I'm having laser eye surgery tomorrow, as I hate wearing glasses anywhere other than on a bike, wierdly.

SinbadLL
    Free Member

@philsimm

Thanks for the heads up on the lenses, as I only wear them for riding I usually get 8-9 weeks out of a months supply and my optician charges 29.00 so a £10 is a bargain…

Xylene
    Free Member

Went to Vision Express or some such place.

THey will do cycle glasses with the inserts for about 50 quid.

With built in lenses in the frames about 100 quid.

Not bad at all.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Be aware that not everyone can wear glasses with inserts. I don't have enough space between by eyes/eyelashes and the inserted lens to wear them comfortably

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I wear monthlies, cheap as chips campers.

Besides, I've never seen the logic of trying to save money on stuff that allows you to have decent vision, glasses or otherwise.

AndyRT
    Free Member

+1 anotherdeadhero

glenp
    Free Member

Optilabs would be my tip. About £150, but very good quality, react to light if you want. They will send you sample frames if you ask. Try phoning – they are very helpful.

I've never had a pair of regular specs that bounce about though. Are you sitting down when you ride over bumps?

Xylene
    Free Member

I wear monthlies, cheap as chips campers.

Besides, I've never seen the logic of trying to save money on stuff that allows you to have decent vision, glasses or otherwise.

I really don't like the idea of contact lenses, never have.

glenp
    Free Member

Just thinking about this more – how are you getting vibration in your head? Your head should be quite still – the bike will bump and vibrate, but not you?

stevomcd
    Free Member

But you were happy to have Voldemort's face sticking out the back of your head? 😉

Monthlies for me too. I ride pretty much every day so dailies get expensive.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Well neither did I until I tried them, touching eyes, eugh! In fact the first few months were difficult, I couldn't get them out each night without peeling them from my cornea using my nail.

Then I got the knack, I've not looked back for 12 years. In terms of eye health they're perfectly safe if you follow the procedure. Long term they are still more expensive than some fixed lenses in a frame that you hang off your nose (avoid sitting on them, loosing them etc), but for me there is simply no comparison in terms of function.

If you would rather have proper prescription riding specs, then prepare to cough up. You won't get any satisfactory solution for tuppence ha'penny.

Xylene
    Free Member

But you were happy to have Voldemort's face sticking out the back of your head?

I googled it and still have no idea what that means.

glenh
    Free Member

Can't see why you wouldn't use contacts myself (assuming no medical reason you can't).
    At £8 and one change of lenses a month (i.e. they stay in continuously for 1 month) they are both cheaper and less hassle than glasses for me.

cupra
    Free Member

another vote for opitlabs!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

contact lenses are hit and miss for astigmatism

for me they are a miss because they move too much

I use optilabs which are OK but designs are limited

Rudy projects with inserts which looked better but misted badly

the Dixons look OK and cheaper for plain lenses

stevomcd
    Free Member

I googled it and still have no idea what that means.

OK, so I'm a big kid.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

+1 thanks to philsimm. I was paying £14 for a box of daysofts…you've just saved me a fortune 🙂

nicko74

anotherdeadhero I've not looked back

Good job too – the contact lens could get caught at the back of your eye and you could go blind! 😯

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Finally, someone picks up on it. I'm wasted here 😡

Seriously though, some people don't get on with contacts for riding, it's worth looking into properly though, rather than just rejecting out of hand.

UK-FLATLANDER

My perscription is -12 diopter and I have been using Rudy Project Exceptions for the last 2-3 years. They really do stay put, even on hot sweaty days. The Impact X Red Photochromic is great for MTBing, keeps of the worst of the light and is not too dark in the woods.

chubby_monk
    Free Member

I have given up and no longer wear glasses. This has the advantage that the singletrack doesn't look so rough in places, it has the disadvantage that I keep getting surprises…

Snap. And I hate contacts so much that I've recently cancelled my monthly lenses.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

I only recently switched to wearing contacts (about 3 years now) and it totally transformed my riding experience. Like you I was finding that glasses bouncing around on the end of my nose gave me a bit of a blurred outlook and wet weather was a bit of a pain. I didn't think my eyes would take contacts at all so never looked at them (wore glasses for 30 odd years before that). I have found that my eyes can cope with contacts and they are revolutionary to my enjoyment of outdoor pursuits. Daily displosables are not the only type of lense but are the most convenient. However, they also work out the most expensive way of doing contacts.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Speccy Four Eyes’ is closed to new replies.