Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • SPDs vs flats – the case for and against either?
  • brooess
    Free Member

Historically I've always run SPDs and I feel more secure over technical stuff and generally feel more comfortable on them. Recently I've been riding more on flats to practice some of the things I was taught on a couple of skills courses: manuals, wheelies, bunnyhops (failing so far on that one). I'm also trying to get comfortable with flats on drops.

I've only done 3-4 rides and I'm getting more used to the flats but still feel damn insecure and am riding a lot slower/less relaxed with them. Cos they're bigger I'm also getting a lot more pedal/ground/tree stump contact. On the other hand I feel I can better push the wheels into the ground when I need grip.
    But when I ride SPDs after riding flats the confidence boost I get from feeling secure again is definitely a winner. So, what's the best way forward?

1. Ride flats just for skills practice but SPDs for proper riding?
    2. Mix up flats and SPDs from one ride to the next just like some people mix up hardtail and FS so you learn proper technique on the one that's harder to ride which then means you ride better overall
    3. Keep riding flats on most rides and put up with the insecurity/contact till I get more comfortable with them?

Or is it really just horses for courses?

Any views from them who use both?

Ta

mikewsmith
    Free Member

while your at it do you want to solve the "What Tyre" question too!!

if your coping with both keep working with both don't feel there is an answer

coogan
    Free Member

They both have + and – points. It all comes down to what you prefer. I prefer flat so thats what my bikes have.

grumm
    Free Member

I used SPDs for ages, but decided to try out flats to prepare for an alps trip and I instantly really liked it. Only downside for me was you def notice the difference on tricky climbs.

I feel more planted on the bike on flats, and better able to shift my weight around. Personally I would stick with the flats for while until you get used to them – I think you learn bad habits for jumping/drops on SPDs.

jedi

in time you will adapt your spd technique over to flats.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Like everything else,there is no best. I use spuds. They give me confidence over technical terrain and I feel part of the bike,Also flats are so ugly,especially on XC bikes.
    I have no interest in improving my skills. I just pedal.

lyons
    Free Member

like alot of people i think – although according to the survey not many on here, i use both.
    SPD's – for all xc and most downhill – I would only use flats on a very tight, or smooth but jumpy dh run.

Flats – messing about in woods jumping over logs etc. Dirt jumping, just playing around…

It takes a whilke but you do adapt to flats.

try pointing your heels down a bit when riding, and up when trying to bunny hop (i find it easier to hop with flats…)

jedi

technical terrain is where flats excel!

carlosg
    Free Member

There was a time when i used spd pedals no matter what , then I had a bad fall on my fs big bike(6" both ends) that wouldn't have been quite so bad if I hadn't been still attached to the bike 🙁 , since then I changed to flats on that bike and kept the spd's for the xc hardtail.

I'm comfortable swapping between either type.

abductee
    Free Member

SPD
    difficult to clip in on a hill start
    good ground clearance
    good pedalling efficiency
    feet don't shake off on bumpy bits
    light weight

SPD with a cage
    better for hill starts
    poor ground clearance

Flat
    best for hill starts
    poor ground clearance
    good for learning to ride properly and getting experimental
    good if you ride switchbacks and want to dab tight corners
    no good for the pedally bits

jedi

lol

grumm
    Free Member

I mostly agree with that list, but I'm pretty sure my SS flat pedals have at least as good ground clearance as my xtr spds do, maybe better. They're pretty thin.

Also not sure about 'your feet not shaking off on bumpy bits with SPDs either – I have come unclipped occasionally at some very inopportune moments, even with the tension turned up pretty tight.

lyons
    Free Member

Abductee- What is riding properly? how do you do it?

oh- one bad thing abou flats- they hate shins…

grumm
    Free Member

Abductee- What is riding properly? how do you do it?

I would say it's shifting your weight around properly to control the bike rather than relying on yanking the bike around by the pedals.

Hairychested
    Free Member

As abtuctee says.
    One more for flats – if you're going to get drunk and cycle back, SPD's might be difficult to unclip.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

i AM ENJOYING FLATS (2 WEEKS IN) and love them on down hills as you can chage foot position easily and shift your weight around.

Downsides are feet coming away on rough stuff and it being harder to climb on techy stuff

grumm
    Free Member

Another one for flats is that you don't need special shoes to ride your bike. SPDs are for road bikes 😉

jedi

its not harder its technique.

lyons
    Free Member

rubbish. Its not a better technique. Just a different one. ALot of people who ride flats, cant ride spd's…

WHy do you think that is then?

abductee
    Free Member

Yes that was wrong. Pedalling proper circles is best done with SPDs but manoeuvring the bike with flats?

It is horses for courses in my opinion.

Lyons – When I have learned to ride properly I will let you know the details. My shins are bleeding right now so I clearly have not learned yet.

jedi

ALL riding is the same technique
    with flats you get away with nothing unless its done correctly so, its not rubbish

racing_ralph
    Free Member

jedi on a rough/rocky climb – how do you stop your feet coming away from the pedals? It feels (IMO) like you are pushing the bike into teh ground – hence teh terrain feels rougher (genuine question btw)

lyons
    Free Member

Hah – abductee – my shins arent bleeding, just my calf today… but it reminded me of the perils, so i think i'll be wearing my knee AND shin pads in the future…

I do kind of agree though… I think i ride like i'm using flats when using spd's anyway. After about 4 years of just spd's, it only took a few hours to adjust back to flats.

But at the same time, i do like being able to move the back round a little bit lazilly with spd'S

Im talking rubbish now and contradicting myself… 😕

jedi

rolf, heals down and weight shifts

racing_ralph
    Free Member

the heels down thing works dead well on down hills, will give it a go. The weight shifting is not my strong point – needs work

jedi

look at hwere you want to be not where your riding

sq225917
    Free Member

spd s are more efficient and put less stress on your foot, typically you wear stiffer soled shoes with. For out and out pedalling they are better- more efficient are likely more comfortable.

Flats allow you to move about more, dab and start riding more easily, as well as bail…

Once the terrain starts heading all downhill then look to flats, if uphill or all day rides, look to spds.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Mix and match here. Spds better for ultimate power transfer and faster over rocky stuff in a straight line. Being locked into the bike also means you have to commit fully to a move, rather than being able to dab part way through. Flats much better for serious technical stuff, twisty trails and jumps/drops. They make you *ride* the bike rather than simply point and hang on.

Best way to learn either is to stick with the one you like least. Its taken me a long time to get used to flats, but I'm now pretty happy riding most things on either.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I changed from SPD's to Flats about a year ago and, although sometimes tempted, haven't gone (and prolly wont go) back to SPD's.

Flats:
    Forces better riding technique and body positioning if you are not/ever going to be a riding God. My riding has improved 500% since changing to flats. If I'm not relaxed, keeping my heels back, compressing at the right time etc, my feet come off the pedals. Nowt like that to start learning how to get it right!

Seemingly less injury risk as I mostly bounce well clear of the bike now if I have a big off, or bail sensibly before that happens.

Easier to restart.

Don't need SPD shoes.

Look better (IMO)

Oh and feet do stay on over the rough stuff/jumps/drops once you get the technique.

SPD's:
    Far superior for climbing (particularly technical).

Makes speed hopping/riding rough stuff easy because you can pull the bike up

Foot always in the same position on the pedal (probably the only thing now that makes me think about changing back is getting frustrated by not finding the 'sweet spot' on flat pedals and having to keep repositioning my feet until I do. You'd think by now it'll be second nature).

alpin
    Free Member

last year i was living in the alps and used spuds about 95% of the time. since then i've moved to somewhere…er… less rugged. i now use almost exclusivley flats.

i umm'd and rrrr'd as to whether i'd stick with flats or use SPDs for my alpencross.

in the end i plumped for Spuds. as said above; better for climbing, long distances, techy uphill sections and, as memtioned by bunny girl, more control hopping obstacles at speed.

not having the option of not being able to move your foot around becomes tedious after a while; made worse if the cleats aren't angled correctly.

the stiffer sole paired with the fact you're foot is fixed to the bike does send more vibration from the ground through to your legs.

i prefer riding flats but wouldn't be put off attempting anything because i'm using spuds. i don't find it takes any longer to bail using spuds than flats.

samuri
    Free Member

I'd only use flats now if I was doing dirt jumping. I can't wheelie more than a few yards so SPD's are fine for me there and i can bunnyhop with either. One thing that did happen to me was when I used flats was my feet were permitted to take their natural position which is pointing outwards. The SPD's restrict that to a degree and on flats my feet point out that much that I was putting all the load through the inside tendon (or something), which totally screwed my knees up. Back to SPD's and they're fine. This was over long rides on a very regular basis though.

the_lecht_rocks

spd's for any distance, flats for fookn aboot with.

coogan
    Free Member

spd's for any distance, flats for fookn aboot with.

Bollocks. I can happy ride for miles and miles on flats. And don't find techy climbs any more difficult on flats. Like I said at the start, its all about personal preference. I used SPDs for 7 years, moved to flats to try 'em out and just prefered them. I dunny like the shin smacking moments though…

the_lecht_rocks

coogan – over what distances are we talking ?
    where distance is over 30 miles, i prefer the support of SPD's and a stiffer sole.
    unless of course your rides never exceed 30 miles ?

coogan
    Free Member

Ridden over 30 miles on flats. It was fine. You prefer the support, thats cool. I just prefer flats, which is also cool.

Airwolf
    Free Member

Well i'm quite happy with these
    at the moment. For me at least, they provide a nice compromise offering some of the benefits of both flats and SPDs.

enfht
    Free Member

Which one would Geoff Capes use?

Exactly!

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Flats knacker my knees If I ride any distance as do Shimano SPD so I use Time Alium on the XC bike and keep the flats for the 24" mucking about in the woods and going to the chippie bike.

Last time I looked DH racers seem to be split 50/50 flats/clipped so it just seems to be what you like.

As for this clipped ruins your techique load of bollocks I can bunnyhop the same log clipped or flat its your body english that lets you jump what your standing on has little to do with it IMO

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

My ankle was gubbed and spds hurt me knee – moved to flats(after 13yrs biking) and I quite like 'em. Not really much different in general use better for descending though and on the way up only difference is trickier to pull up over obstacles, though you get round it after a while.

I am hardcore though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘SPDs vs flats – the case for and against either?’ is closed to new replies.