Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • SPD's or Platform pedals in the Snow ?
  • whyterider
    Free Member

Normally I ride with SPD's but switch to platform pedals in snowy/icy conditions. On Wednesday I didn't have access to the flats so went out on the SPD's which went fine, but I was slightly concerned that I may freeze into them which with the potential for front wheel slippage could be messy!

What do the rest of you do?

Cheers

whyterider

nickc

Never frozen in them, had issues sometimes clipping in, but a stamp on the SPD normally sorts that out.

macbrother
    Free Member

Always flatties now, more freedom to throw the bike about and bail out quickly if you need to.

I did used to like SPDs, great for getting the power down.

mboy
    Free Member

No clipless pedal should freeze you in.

Can often experience issues clipping in in the first place though in snow, especially in very heavy/cloggy snow. Even running Crank Bros pedals I couldn't clip in straight away a couple of times due to snow build up on my cleats on my last 2 rides, but it soon cleared.

Undeniably flatties will be better in terms of control and being able to instantly bail out in the snow, but riding with clipless pedals in the snow is not really any worse/different to riding with them in heavy mud.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Problems clipping in, yes, never clipping out though. Still use my spuds for smoother better power delivery up snowy hills. I always find times when I'm using spuds that I'd like flats, but when I converted to flats I found I always found times when I'd have preferred spuds.

acorlett

I can't be bothered to change pedals, but the constant clogging up of my cleats in the snow is beginning to persuade me otherwise…

allankelly

I started my move from SPDs to Crank Bros after nasty clogged pedals experiences at Strathpuffer. I'm just back from a very snowy ride on my CBs and no problems. The cleats can become clogged if you have to walk, but a couple of thums and you're away.

Cheers, al.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘SPD's or Platform pedals in the Snow ?’ is closed to new replies.