Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • spark plugs – do you ever replace them
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

My cars going in for a service this week, 51 plate around 80k on the clock. I’m thinking of asking them to replace the spark plugs as they can’t last for ever.

Do any of you bother replacing the plugs on a modern car?

eh sorry wrong forum

mmb
    Free Member

i would.

willej

Yes, they should be changed every 20k miles on my 2001 Mondeo.

Weasel
    Free Member

I notice the difference with a new set of plugs every other year – although my mileage is very low.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yes, I thought plugs, fluids (oil, brake, power steering) and filters (oil, fuel, air) was the basic annual service on just about any car(plus dizzy internals if relavent)?

Then again, mine lists the big end bearings at 40k!

fastindian
    Free Member

i would, i forgot on my 03 plate fiesta and it promptly blew the porceline inner clean out of the threaded metal plug body :(I was lucky as it didnt strip the thread in the cyclinder head 😀 which would have involved great expense to repair!

_tom_
    Free Member

Thinking about changing them in my 08 Fiesta – not sure if it needs it but sometimes it has trouble starting, engineers seem to have checked everything but spark plugs so possibly it’s them?!

brakes
    Free Member

you may as well, they’re cheap and easy to replace

aracer
    Free Member

Nope – have never changed the spark plugs on my 406HDi and it’s still running fine after 145k miles.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That would be because its a tractor and doesn’t have any.

JonM
    Free Member

Depends on the car. Some cars have very expensive platinum plugs that will last for anything up to 100k. Other cars have cheaper plugs that only last for 20k. It should tell you in the service booklet when yours need changing. At 80k I’d probably be tempted to change them but if they are long life be prepared for a shock at the price.

Hohum
    Free Member

Mine get changed on an Inspection 1 and then an Inspection 2 which equals about every 30k miles.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have thought that it was necessary to ask, is it not standard on a full service ?

grim168
    Free Member

My old lc used to eat them. Ngk racing plugs sorted it out. But it was a bike and a 2 stroke oh and it was tuned as well.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Some did. I give you the Freguson TVO 20. The same engine was used in the Triumph TR4. I once saw a tractor with a twin carb convertion.

slimtubing
    Free Member

My Ex had a vauxhall chevette that used to struggle to go over about 55 mp/h, i removed and decoked her plugs and the thing ran like new. she’d been driving it for 6 years with the performance and fule consumption of a lawnmower!

MrOvershoot

mcmoonter – Member

Some did. I give you the Freguson TVO 20. The same engine was used in the Triumph TR4. I once saw a tractor with a twin carb convertion.
    I think you mean Ferguson 😉

My father in law has a collection of about 20 Ferguson tractors including 3 TVO (Tractor Vaporising Oil) engined ones
    TVO is not available these days but you can make your own TVO recipe

martymac

didnt they use the tvo 20 to go to the south pole?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc3rt2LpWO0[/video]

Ewan
    Free Member

What happens if you don’t replace them? I mean if you’re engine is working, is it not a case of leave them until they stop working?

Gary_M
    Free Member

But it might not be working as well as it could be

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yes on my impreza and they’re not all that cheap!

Taff
    Free Member

I need to change mine but they’re the iridium ones and are therefore very expensive. A mechanic friend of mine has advised that I need to stick to the interval changes as a backfire can cause damage to the cat… rather change the plugs than a knackered cat

samuri
    Free Member

I had a cavalier which broke down once. Unusual because it was normally (and was right up till when I sold it after 210k miles+), extremely reliable.

When the nice AA man came out he suggested that the reason it had broken down was because the spark plugs ‘looked like they’d been there since the car was built’. He cleaned them up and it started but he did suggest getting them replaced.

john_drummer
    Free Member

another tractor engine here.

but the last petrol car I had, had 8 of the buggers at £ratheralot a pop.
    Alfa T-Spark engine

Northwind

Think it depends on the plugs too… Did the bike’s for the first time bang on schedule at 8000 miles, noticed a difference. Did them again at 16000, noticed a difference, fitted quality platinum plugs at that point. Now at 54000, changed them for new platinum plugs, no difference, put old plugs back in.

(I don’t think there was any performance difference between new standard and iridium plugs though- loads of people say there is but I didn’t feel it and I’ve got a good butt dyno. but the iridium ones do seem to cold start better)

Gary_M
    Free Member

Perhaps the garage have replaced them previously and it’s just under ‘service’ on the invoice. I’ll have a word when I drop it off anyway.

TheFlyingOx

I’m thinking of asking them to replace the spark plugs

😯

Erm, how about changing them yourself and save £20. It’s possibly the 2nd easiest thing you can do next to pumping up the tyres.

Granted, you may not have a spark-plug socket or gauges to size the spark gap properly but buy them this once and you’ll never need to ask someone else to do it again, and it’ll still work out cheaper.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m quite capable of changing them myself and I do on my classic, plus lots of other stuff but that’s for pleasure. The cars going in for a service and a cambelt change anyway and I don’t have the inclination to potter with a modern car.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘spark plugs – do you ever replace them’ is closed to new replies.