Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • South Downs Way Ride on Saturday
  • trix
    Free Member

I'm going to have a go at the SDW this Saturday. Looking to take about 10 – 12 hours. If anyone fancies joining me I'll be setting of from the statue in Winchester at 9.30 on Saturday morning.

Rick

Buzzard
    Free Member

Rick,

Mate and I are doing it this weekend but leaving Winchester at 6h30. Thinking 12hrs for us. If you start a little earlier you might catch us. I'll be on a Turner Flux and my mate will be riding a 29er Salsa Mamasita. See you on the hopefully DRY trails

avdave2

It's just started pissing down here in Brighton. 🙁

freeridenick
    Free Member

sunny just north of the downs the moment.

SurfKing
    Free Member

I hope it's only a passing shower, keep us up to date please?

muggomagic

I would start earlier than 9:30. Unless you're very familiar with the route past Lewes it's very easy to take the wrong turning in the dark.
    Be aware there is a sponsered walk along the south downs this weekend to.

SurfKing
    Free Member

What day and where is the walk please?

poppa
    Free Member

Conditions are nice and dry on the Winch end!

bigsi
    Free Member

Dry sunny skies over Worthing now, not seen any rain at all this morning so the Brighton one must have been isolated 😀

Buzzard
    Free Member

Lets hope the weather doesnt turn too nasty today, let me know if the rain continues please.

theflatboy
    Free Member

if i was doing it (and i can't though would like to!) i'd be more inclined to start at first light rather than wait so long, so you get as much daylight as possible.

SurfKing
    Free Member

Yep, we're planning a 6.30am start.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Good luck Rick – would like to try the SDW at that pace even though I know you're a bit faster than me. But I can't do this weekend :o(

avdave2

Update – Sun now back in position above Brighton, all's well with the world.

SurfKing
    Free Member

Perfect!!

Buzzard
    Free Member

Happy with that – SurfKing and I are hitting it up tomorrow and I for one cannot wait.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Lucky sods, i'd love to join you as i haven't had my yearly SDW fix yet. Sadly not tough. Watch out for the green chalk and flints.

SurfKing
    Free Member

Thanks, slashed my tyre wide open on it last year, so will be dodging it wherever possible.

Buzzard
    Free Member

After last year's disaster the aim is to be conservative and hope for a finish – times don't matter (I said it but do I believe it???)

hazeii
    Free Member

Good luck! Conditions are fine and dry up there, there are a few short showers about but any that hit the SDW will be dried up by tomorrow.

Shoreham airshow in the afternoon – watch for the Vulcan bomber, WW2 fighters, Red Arrows etc! We'll be pootling over the Downs near the Adur, finding good spots to watch from.

Buzzard
    Free Member

Whats a day, what a ride.

Made a shocking Nav error (even though I had Hazeii's gps route)which cost us an extra 25km, but on a day like Sat I didnt care (well maybe I did a bit). Managed to see some of the Shoreham airshow as we were riding (perhaps walking) up to Devils. Total time was 12h55min included shocking detour, 1 puncture and a long lunch. Next year I'll have the 29er built up and will be hoping for sub 11hr minus the phaffing and the detour.

How did everyone else do? Rode with and behind a number of people out attempting the SDW

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way Ride on Saturday’ is closed to new replies.