Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • South Downs Way advise please!
  • ttf
    Free Member

Hi there, i am going to be doing the SDW with my dad in 1 week and 2 days (as long as it's not raining or too boggy out there) so just after some advise from those of you who have done it.
    We are doing it in 2 days as my Dad's not really up to doing it in a one-er so hoping to do about 60 miles out from Winchester and then stay in a B&B – any reccomendations for B&B's that are not too far from the south downs and that are bike friendly?
    Secondly, what sort of kit should we be carrying with us as a minimum? I was thinking: 2/3 tubes, lots of super patches, pump, multitool, some shorts and a fleece for the b&b, lots of nutrigrain bars and water. – Does this sound about right?
    If we bring a 800ml bottle each and a camelback full will that be okay between water stops? Also, how many water stops are there?
    Our plan is to stop along the way for food as much as we can to avoid carrying it.

So overall, how does this all sound? I'm hoping we dont need to carry much more than that but please let me know if i've missed anything out of if you have any tips etc from previous experience.
    Thanks in advance!

muddy@rseguy

All sounds ok.

The actual route doesnt get too muddy at this time time of year: the ground on the south downs is pretty much hardpack at the moment.

A good idea for a B+B is the YHA at Truleigh Hill which is at about 60-65miles in and slap bang on the SDW which has been used by a few of my mates who did this last year, otherwise there are some B+B options in Arundel, Steyning Worthing, etc. cant recommend any from presonal experience though.

Kit? yup, loads of tubes patches or fit slime tubes to your tyres.

Food, well on the SDW the first food point fron Winchester is probably around Exton (Pub), then the QECP visitor centre which has a cafe, the next is the pubs and teas rooms at Amberley, Pub at Washington (slight detour), pubs and tea rooms at Steyning (slight detour), Pub at Devils Dyke, then its pretty much no food till past Lewes and then its all off the track.

If your camelbak takes three litres of water then thats good, an extra bottle is a good idea too as the taps on the route are not always working

Trimix
    Free Member

60 miles is quite far off road. I did it in 10.5 hours and Im above average fitness. Plus the hills get steeper the further East you go.

Take some flapjack and fruit grub, lots of it. Eat a bit every two hours, before your body starts to suffer. Dont eat too much sugary shite, its an endurance, not a short 2 or 3 hours spin where tangfantastics can help.

Carb load before you go.

I wouldnt bother with all those tubes / patches / slime etc. Just take two tubes and a standard patch kit. Get a flat, fix it with a patch and put the spare tube in. Its not the sort of place your going to get pinch flats (unless your pressures are way too low) also its not full of thorns, so take what you normally take.

As for water, there are lots of taps along the way. When you see one fill up, even if its a little bit. Your never far from a house / road, so dont plan it like its a wilderness epic.

Take a waterproof and maybe a spare long/short sleave incase the weather changes, its a bit exposed on the hills with no cover from trees. Oh, and take a mobile with phone numbers of the local taxi companys. If you do end up with a mechanical or find its taking too long ring for a lift.

sockpuppet

the truleigh hill YHA is right on track, i stayed there a few weeks ago doing exactly what you're planning.

give them a call – i'm pretty sure they could do dinner and definitely breakfast for you too. worth booking though, not that many beds.

does mean that you finish the day with an (apparently endless) climb! it splits the route well 60 on day one 40 the next day worked well for me – the climbing is split pretty well that way too.

look here for details of water taps and whole load of other stuff too.

barca
    Free Member

I've done it twice, both in one day from Winchester to Eastbourne. It's a great ride and if I can manage it (I'm up north and it's a logistical nightmare), I'm going to try and get down to do it again before the end of summer and take my time to enjoy it properly rather than zoning out to keep a steady rhythm going.
    If it takes longer than one day this time, so be it. I'll wild camp and finish it when the sun comes up.
    Have a great day (or two out). It's a lovely route and probably all the nicer for me as it's like chalk ( :lol:) and cheese compared with my local Peak District riding.

barca
    Free Member

ant55y
    Free Member

[/url]Hi, I have some information on my website http://www.bikedowns.co.uk ; on the Rides and comments page, I have inserted comments from people on their experiences, how long? mileage split, where to stay, what to take etc.
    Also I have maps photos of locations of water taps.
    Hope that you have a good ride.
    Anthony

timnwild

Finished the 65 mile version for the BHF on Saturday and it was great. Places to stop get more frequent after about 35 miles from Winchester I'd say, as do the taps. But if you're not gunning it then you'll be fine with camelback and water bottle.

I did it with just a 1.5 litre Camelback and no bottle – refilled at Cocking, Amberly and Truleigh Hill.

Google
    Free Member

I did it Saturday for the BHF as well. I was planning on doing the whole 100 miles, but 65 to Devils Dyke was the lot for me. Its bloody HARD.

Do a search on South Downs Way profile, and have a look at the spikes !!!

The hills do get steeper towards the end, but by the time you get to 65 miles youve done something like 7300ft of the 10000ft climbing it allegedly has.

Eat FAR more often than every 2 hours! Vhug a gel or anergy bar every hour at least. I found even doing this I was running on empty at the end. 10 Hrs from Winchester to Devils Dyke, and I was still passing some people going slower!

Good luck

nedrapier

Get this: http://www.harveymaps.co.uk/acatalog/South_Downs_Way.html#aYHWRSD

There are a few tricky bits with the navigation, so you might be a bit shafted if you find yourself off track. This map saves you getting the 4(?) OS maps you'd need, by just chopping out the OS sections and putting it all on one sheet. It's also water- and tear-resistant, it's got all the water stops marked and pubs and camping. And the sections give you good milestones to gauge your progress.

If you're not sure about ordering and the post arriving in time, call the tourist office and Winchester and ask them to put one aside for you.

And have a look at the bikedowns site others have mentioned, because they make occasional changes to the route, some temporary, some permanent, and chappy who runs the site posts them up.

Another vote for the truleigh hill YHA, too. It's at a good distance to break the route, if you stay in Shoreham, you're adding miles, and starting the 2nd day with a big old climb.

Good luck, have fun!

nedrapier

chappy = Anthony, above.

Hello and thanks for the site!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way advise please!’ is closed to new replies.