Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • South Downs Way :)
  • vrapan
    Free Member

I don’t ride enough and where I do ride everything is so flat that finishing the South Downs Way even on a leisurely paced 3 days had me all giggling.

If you have done it agree with me it is a lot of fun if you haven’t then go do it. If you are fit enough it is easily doable in 2 days but if you want to take a breath here and there do it over 3.

We did it Winchester to Eastbourne and the first part was not that hard if it was not for the massive amounts of rain for the first 6-8 miles. The second part was the hardest, hardest uphills and longest distance from Cocking to Pyecombe but it was well worth it! The last bit would have been the easiest if we were not having legs falling off due to the riding of the last two days!

Some great BBs on the way and excellent beer and food! I am doing it again next year for sure!

Some crappy pics as I was either too wet, too excited or too tired to bother take any!

South Downs Way - Day 1 from Winchester to Cocking

monksie
    Free Member

I’ve only ever done it in one day (twice) but I’d like to be able to take it easy and do it over two days, wild camp just off the trail and enjoy the ambience of the South Downs on a mid week summer evening.
    I can’t define it but the area has a completely different feel to the Peak District where I normally ride. Not the terrain which is obviously as different as chalk and cheese (or chalk and rock and peat), just something… the atmosphere?…I don’t know.
    I love the South Downs. Well done on enjoying your ride.

ackie
    Free Member

I rode Winchester to Devil’s Dyke last monday in just over 9hrs. I was using it as training ride for Kielder (whom I kidding) so we tried not to stop but were forced to by a couple of punctures and my mate bonking (5pints the night before).
    It was beautiful weather and the views were epic.
    I’ve heard the last section is the most fun so when I can get another day pass I’m going solo the whole thing.

Not sure I fancy it with a strong headwind though and fairplay to the South Downs Doublers

No after pics I’m afraid as we were drinking shandy.

vrapan
    Free Member

Yes the last bit from Pyecombe to Eastbourne is definitely the most fun, and hat off to you both for doing what I definitely simply can’t!

Also don’t know how we managed but both bikes survived without a single problem. Was dreading trying to sort out tubeless tyres in the middle of a 40 mile ride in the hills but it never materialised.

3 UST Maxxis and a tubeless ready Conti is what we were wearing!

m1kea
    Free Member

Aaaagh

The triathletes infection of surgical stockings looks bad on roadies and this is just wrong! 😀 Can someone ban this man please? 😉

Diawl
    Free Member

I did Winchester to Brighton in a day with a mate a few months ago and I thought it was the most boring ride I’ve ever done. Plus I ended up with a nice hole in my hand courtesy of rain on slippery chalk moment. Other people seem to enjoy it though.

vrapan
    Free Member

As I said I ride in herts, nothing can be more boring than that so I found the South Downs exhaustingly fantastic! I am off to Brecon Beacons this coming weekend for a few days so we will see how that compares! 🙂

ackie
    Free Member

The triathletes infection of surgical stockings looks bad on roadies and this is just wrong! Can someone ban this man please?

I hasten to add that picture is not of me!
    But his calves did not suffer one bit.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way :)’ is closed to new replies.