Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Soul Dropouts
  • fathomer

So I’m in the process of buiding up my new Soul and I can’t get the rear wheel into the non-drive side dropout (Hope XC hubs), the rear wheel from the out going bike will fit though (Shimano hubs)?

Has anyone else had the problem and if so, whats the solution. Hopefully I’m just being a bit daft as this is my first buid.

BigJohn

Is it the skewer that won’t fit the cowled dropouts or is there a bit too much paint inside the place where the spindle goes?

brant
    Free Member

Hope hubs often seem to have “slightly” larger axles than other models I’ve found.

That, and it’s possible the dropout might have taken a knock and compressed up a little.
    Spacing should measure 10mm between the dropout slot.

GrahamA
    Free Member

Have you checked that the disk is not fouling the rotor, I found that when I switched from Shimano to Hope hubs I had this problem.

fathomer

I think there maybe too much paint in the dropout or as brant says may have taken a knock though does look to be 10mm gap.

defiantly not the rotors, haven’t got the calipers on yet!

Stu_N

A file/ Stanley knife to the paint should sort that, it’s a bit annoying but has needed to be done to a couple of frames I’ve built up.

chiefgrooveguru

Mine just needed a bit of a smack to seat – a reassuringly snug fit!

fathomer

File it is then! And agreed, it is a bit annoying. Also odd that the axels on shimano and hope are different sizes.

souldrummer
    Free Member

I had exactly the same problem on mine. A few strokes with the file and it’s much better. I e-mailed Cotic and they said it was something to do with the requirements of Shimano drivetrains. It seems Hope hubs are more difficult to fit than Shimano. Until I filed mine I dreaded rear wheel punctures.

Also had this on a couple of Dialled Bikes frames. Shimano hubs going in fine but Hope axles being slightly too big. 10mm round file to remove a bit of powder coat sorts it.

fathomer

Cheers guys, makes me feel a little better knowing is common!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Soul Dropouts’ is closed to new replies.