Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sorting out a dead friend's bike stuff
  • paul4stones

Strange one tonight. A friend died suddenly earlier in the year and tonight I’ve been helping his widow pass on some of his bikes and stuff. A Thorn Raven with Rohloff and Pikes and a custom Dave Yates rigid with XTR/ Hope throughout. Two of his colleagues wanted bikes so they’ve gone off with some pretty eclectic, if top end, bikes. I’ve got a boot full of wheels and components which I’m going to sell – money raised will go to Patterdale Mountain Rescue Team. Keep an eye on the classifieds.

Luckily he was amazingly organised and everything was already sorted out but he also seems to have been very cautious – spares for his spares. He also seems to have spent an awful lot on his bikes – one of the wheels has a WI double sprocket freewheel on it, very dusty.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

sorry to hear about your friend man hope that patterdale mountain rescue get a good bump from the funds raised for the good work they do and again sorry to hear about your friend

godzilla
    Free Member

I had to do a similar thing recently, not easy at all.
    Good luck mate.

emanuel
    Free Member

thorn says max on the raven is 100mm.

sorry about your mate,I sometimes think about what will happen to my 7 bikes if I die.
    I mean when I die.
    I thought about the people I know,and I can’t imagine anyone wanting/needing/deserving or even using them.
    shame really.we put so much effort into this,economic,time,physical.
    a bit like life I suppose.

sad really.oh well.

paul4stones

Sorry, they may not have been Pikes – they were Fox though.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I hope this doesn’t sound bad, but I am very interested in the Thorn, don’t suppose you could email me a price and a few piccies of that one could you…?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Strange day. Sorry for your loss.

saleem
    Free Member

Sorry to hear if your loss, will keep an eye out for your sales too

epicyclo

That’s why I’m doing my own clearout.

My kids would probably put priceless stuff in the recycling bin…

tyredbiker
    Free Member

Sorry for your loss paul4stones, it’s hard sorting out stuff, it’s just ‘things’, material objects, but it’s all we have left. My brother is going to use my late boyfriends bike on some long distance rides with me, so, in a strange way, I’ll feel like my boyfriend is there with me as well

althepal

Fair play to you mate for sorting it out. Must be hard going.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Jeez.

“My mates died and I’m sorting his bike stuff out, it’s x, y and z”

STW 1: “Your forks are too long for the frame”
    STW 2: “Dibs on the Thorn”

Condolences for your mate, sorry for your loss.

paul4stones

It’s ok – thanks for your thoughts.

As I said above, the bikes have gone to his colleagues so the Thorn isn’t being sold.

The strange thing is how no matter how well you know someone you get a completely different perspective on them and their lives when you rummage through their things. Nothing bad in this case!

woodsman
    Free Member

It must be a hard thing to do, bringing back loads of memories for you. Condolences to you and your friend’s family.

thomthumb
    Free Member

not a nice thing to do. had to go through my grandad’s garage with my grandma.

condolences.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sorting out a dead friend's bike stuff’ is closed to new replies.