Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Sorry- alternatives to M&S
  • vinnyeh

Sorry to bring this hoary old chestnut back up, but I’ve Just got the renewal through- jump in premium of 28%..

Are there any viable alternatives? Requoting on the website gives a 50% jump on last years premium by the time I add on the bikes.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

barclaycard?

z1ppy

Just got the renewal through- jump in premium of 28%..

which is the same with all renewal quote, go online and for a “new policy quote”, then phone them & ask them to explain the difference…

29erKeith
    Free Member

Sainsburys were good a few months back when I moved
    inc. good bike cover

29erKeith
    Free Member

double post

jonathan
    Free Member

I ended up with Hiscox when my M&S premium did a simlar jump. Not quite as comprehensive cover, but pretty good.

TheFlyingOx

We’ve just gone with Green Insurance.
    £31 a month with near enough £10k of bikes on the policy, plus a few fairly pricy bits and bobs, all covered away from home.

vinnyeh

which is the same with all renewal quote, go online and for a “new policy quote”, then phone them & ask them to explain the difference…

Yes, but the online quote was even higher than the renewal- the bikes now need to be specified items on a new policy so theres an additional charge- about £350 difference between the vanilla premium, and the one with the bikes added in.

trail_rat
    Free Member

So your getting a 22% discount on the new quote as a renewin customer?

But retaining old terms so keepin the 4k per bike unlimted bike cover – win win to me !

granny_ring

Watches with interest as my M&S insurance renewal is due soon……

Not sure if Aviva are any good for bike related stuff but I’ve just saved a shed load on car insurance with them via topback cash.

ART

Thread search is your friend …. Sainsbury’s for me now, itemised bikes up to £15k value, halved my M&S premium for buildings & contents, happy days.

andy7t2
    Free Member

Got mine coming up soon lucky the car insurance went down this year so hoping the same on the house

z1ppy

the bikes now need to be specified items on a new policy so theres an additional charge- about £350 difference

Ouch!

nixie

granny_ring,

M&S is Aviva I think

We’re double screwed looking for M&S alternatives this year due to 2 claims (why oh why we used the insurance glazier for a smashed window, now regretting that), and being a flood risk as 30m from a stream (half the damn city would be flooded before we were!). Not that many companies want to quote online as soon as you have claims!

IHN

Co-Op here, rang them , they were very helpful. Bikes covered as standard to 1K, specified over that but not dead expensive

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

M&S is now AXA, some of their conditions have changed, but they’ve always done OK by me.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Our M&S renewal last month had only gone up by £10 over last years price. was expecting a big rise but not so. renewed straight away!

njee20
    Free Member

M&S has always been AXA, at least for the last few years.

Be interested to see what ours comes out at in a few months, they’ve previously always been cheaper even with my 20% staff discount at another insurer!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Another vote for Green insurance – most competitive by far, £15k+ of bikes plus camera equipment insured away from home. Really good to deal with.
    Plus, paid an extra 51 quid for their homestart cover – covers for sameday callout for plumbers, tree surgeons, electricians etc with no excess.

vinnyeh

ok, thanks all- some names there to look into.

Are bikes normally covered away from home with other insurers?

jonathan
    Free Member

Not as standard, it depends a bit if they’re treating them as normal possessions or if they put bikes in a different category. Either way it’s often an add-on or a feature of a higher “flavour” of cover.

With Hiscox the cover limits away from home weren’t as good as at home, but seemed reasonable enough for the exposure we were actually likely to have.

DT78
    Free Member

Hmmm joy of my renewal soon too…

grahamt1980

Glad someone asked this as we need to get all our stuff covered soon. Moving intoour own house rather than rented. Looks like green insurance is worth a look. I had a look at bike specific and got scared.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Beware – with M&S if you continue your cover yo still get £4000 unspecified for bikes, if you make a new policy you will only get £1000

jelly
    Free Member

Beware – with M&S if you continue your cover yo still get £4000 unspecified for bikes, if you make a new policy you will only get £1000

Is this correct?? I thought that once your policy renews you are bound by the new T&Cs and so bikes are no longer covered under the £4000 personnel possesion limit. Mine is up for renewal in a couple of months so will be good to confirm this.

tandemwarriors

Another vote for Sainsburys. Not had to claim for bikes, but they’ve been very good rebuilding our house which was wrecked by a fire last year.

cakefacesmallblock

CoOP here now too. My Halifax premium went through the roof last year. Only got the one bike, but covered as a specified item ( over a grand), for a tiny extra over premium. Found them helpful.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Just had the renewal by M&S here, and no massive hike, about the same if I remember correctly. T&Cs are the same as before with £4k limit for unspecified bikes.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Esure or Sheilas Wheels (Same company) allow you to specify 4 bikes a standard home or away. Combine it with home and contents and you get a discount.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Sorry- alternatives to M&S’ is closed to new replies.