Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sony Nex 5 – any opinions?
  • trusslebabes
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting one are they as good as they look?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yes. 🙂

trusslebabes
    Free Member

Which lense have you got with it? Also where did you buy from? 😀 Excited now

cozz
    Free Member

yep ive got one and like it

5thElefant
    Free Member

I don’t have one. I went for an olympus e-p2, which is excellent, but the sony has a bigger and better sensor. The main downside of the sony (to me) is that the zoom lens is rather big making it less compact than the olympus. The sony has the better image quality.

Conqueror
    Free Member

No doubt the sensor is good and yes the body is small

But only 3 native lenses exist at the moment.. if you look at them (the lenses) they aren’t actually that small and none of them are fast

NEX has nothing like the Panasonic 20mm F1.7 for instance (and then there’s the rest)

Then there’s the dependence on touch screen controls

Until Sony addresses some of those issues its not as attractive as the micro four thirds system IMO

—————–

5thElefant at least say why to buy it! Ah you have done now 😀

spacecadett
    Free Member

I have a NEX-5 with the zoom & pancake lens. I am really happy with the image quality, it takes great pics and video. I bought in in June last year from Play.

However, if I was looking at the Market again I would go for an alternative because I really miss a proper view finder, especially in sunlight.

poppa
    Free Member

Very good. Compare it with Panasonics GF range and the Olympus-EPL2 – they’re all high-quality ‘mirrorless’ systems, i.e. bigger/more flexible than compacts but smaller than DSLRs.

The Pana/Oly use a different lens system with arguably more choice, but a smaller sensor (albeit not hugely if you shoot 4:3). The Sony has better image quality but less lens choice. This may change in the future(?), but I wouldn’t have much of an idea about that to be honest.

I’d read up on them, then go for which ever has the best deal. Oh, no viewfinder by the way. Like wot he said /\

P.S The small body size is a bit pointless in comparison to the lens size. Oly use a collapsible kit lens which is nice on that principle, and both Pana and Oly have pancake lenses for very good compactness. I hear Pana are getting into the collapsible lens malarkey, but that’s just a rumour at present. The NEX has sold well apparently, so fingers crossed for more lenses.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

You can get a viewfinder for the NEX series of cameras if you really want one.

There are a stack of new add ons for the nex stuff there’s 9 new lenses planned and a better flash (the bundled one is pretty useless)

I’m happy with mine, all the features of a DSLR, doesn’t buy you the eye for a good photo though that comes with practice…

5thElefant
    Free Member

You can get a viewfinder for the NEX series of cameras if you really want one.

No you can’t. Unless you mean a square that sits on top that you can look through.

While you can get an electronic view finder for the Olympus it’s kin expensive! Like £190 extra. I assume Panasonic is the same. I only use mine for manual focus lenses, I can’t find an advantage for AF lenses to speak of.

Unless you really need extra lenses the lack of them is pretty irrelevant. There are a load in the pipeline and the 3rd parties announced they were releasing some soon too, so it’s not a long term problem.

Sony, Olympus or Panasonic… I don’t think you can go wrong at the moment. They all seem great value with different pros and cons that balance out unless you have specific requirements to push you one way or another.

big_scot_nanny

battery life a bit poo, that’s my only real downside. Lovely camera, videos excelllent, stills very good (although quality and speed of glass not up to that of proper DSLR), and I do like teh panorama mode very much, very clever, and a great way of taking rather cool group photos.

I got the standard zoom and the pancake. with the latter on, it’s a brilliant we camera.

Kev

geordiepaul
    Free Member

No you can’t. Unless you mean a square that sits on top that you can look through.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX5/NEX5VIEWFINDER.HTM

Is that not what a viewfinder is? Only works with the 16mm pancake lens though.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Have you tried one? It’s just a window you balance on top of your camera which gives you a vague idea of what’s in frame and no idea of what’s in focus.

I’ve got one of those for my olympus. Utterly useless.

trusslebabes
    Free Member

thanks all very helpful 😀

trusslebabes
    Free Member

Just been into town today and purchased myself a Sony Nex5 with both lenses :mrgreen: Its currently on charge and i am looking forward to using it later on :mrgreen:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sony Nex 5 – any opinions?’ is closed to new replies.