Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Sony Ericsson Xperia ARC or other Androida handset?
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

Anyone got one? How do you like it?
    Am due an upgrade and this phone looks to be tha natual sucessor to my Xperia X10i. O2 have it on a tariff that I’d like.
    Want a free Android handset on an 18 month contract. Any other contract suggestions?
    I don’t need lots of minutes or data, 100 mins / 100 Mb is plenty for what I use.

TheFlyingOx

I’m in the same predicament with my X10. I’ve rooted and run a custom ROM on it, but it’s still not perfect. If you’re dead set on Sony, I’d be tempted to hang on for the Arc S which is due out shortly.
    Either that or go for something dual-core.

bigyinn
    Free Member

My X10 is rooted with Std Gingerbread OS and Im quite happy with it.
    From what i’ve been able to find out the Arc S has the same hardware, just with the CPU clocked a bit from 1 to 1.4ghz. Plus the Arc i can get for free, presumably to clear stock for the Arc S.
    Not bothered about dual core tbh, as at the moment its just willy waving and not really a step change in performance.

ziggy
    Free Member

Had an ARC for a few months now, generally very good and a massive step on from my satio before.

However 2 annoying issues for me are no zoom on 8mp camera mode, no zoom on video and an annoying ‘spike/glitch’ every minute on video recording.

TheFlyingOx

Not bothered about dual core tbh, as at the moment its just willy waving and not really a step change in performance.

Maybe not with current Android versions, but when 4 & moreso 5 come out then I reckon there’ll be a noticeable difference.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I bought an Arc form someone on here, am expecting a big improvement on my old HTC Hero! Also not bothered about dual-core for a while, give it another year and hopefully the manufacturers will have something better to offer than just bigger/quicker single-core versions.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Ziggy, for zoom try using the volume rocker button on the side.

Thanks everyone else, Arc it is I think.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Mine is being dropped off tomorrow. moist. 😉

Ambrose

I’m loving mine. Esp. the MM tracker app.

scaredypants

Mine is being dropped off tomorrow. moist

I almost daren’t ask where it’s been 😳

nedrapier

I’ve just got the xperia ray (the diddy version that’s pretty much the same, but smaller) and it’s great. Wouldn’t mind it being bigger, though!

Given how slim it is and how easily it sits in the pocket, I don’t think the extra size would be as much of an issue as I thought it wmight be.

nedrapier

dave, what’s the MM tracker app?

Edit: Never mind. Just used the wonder of Google. Will check it out.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I would wait for the Motorola Defy+ to come out if its not already out.

nedrapier

While I’m on, does anyone know if the standard Android/SE Data Monitor counts wifi as well as network data traffic?

Wondering if I’m racing through my 500MB or if most of what’s been counted is wifi while I’ve been downloading apps at home.

bigyinn
    Free Member

IIRC the data monitor only counts mobile data, NOT WiFi.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Have pretty much decided to go with the Arc. Camera comes out very well and the display is also highly rated.
    Roll on fri when I can upgrade! Yay!

peachos
    Free Member

i really rate mine too, although as above the vid is a bit glitchy and no zoom on full 8MP. saying that, don’t really miss those things too much as most of the time they’re just point & shoot snaps as have a proper camera which i usually use.

nice interface & handset design. i’d recommend it.

nedrapier

Camera is good (same as the ray). doesn’t have bestpic (9 shots, choose the best) which the cybershot phones had, but there are plenty of camera apps available that will do similar.

Paper Camera is quite fun, if you like that sort of thing.

Cheers Bigyinn, sounds like I will have to keep an eye on that.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Well I got my Arc on monday and I have to say im rather pleased with it. Havent had a chance to do much playing.
    I’d say its an evolution from the X10i I had before. Seems better onthe battery and the display is pretty nice too. Havent had a chance to play with the camera much yet.
    Only problem is I want to root it so I can restore some data from apps that I had on the X10i and rooting seems to be a bit of an issue if you don’t want to put a custom rom or unlock the bootloader.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I got mine a week ago, really liking it although the big screen means I’ve got to use 2 hands sometimes (oo-er!) which is a bit annoying.

I do miss some of HTC’s Sense UI tweaks though, but have downloaded widgets from the market to make up for it.
    Have you tried transferring media from a PC to it using the SE Media Go software? It’s lame – I tried putting Seasons on, took forever and I got bored of waiting after 30minutes.
    Out of the box it doesn’t play AVIs so i’ll have to d/l something.

Cougar

I want to root it so I can restore some data from apps that I had on the X10i

Can’t you just copy it across? Not immediately seeing why you’d need root just to copy data.

TheFlyingOx

Out of the box it doesn’t play AVIs so i’ll have to d/l something.

I use moboplayer. It plays anything.

As far as media transfers go, just mount the SD card and copy as normal. I think if you put everything in the “media” folder, it all gets recognised automagically.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Chucked MOboplayer on & enjoyed watching Seasons on the phone while I was down the beach today! Nice…

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. recently got into Android myself with a Motorola Atrix. I apparently have Android 2.2, can one install later versions?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I do miss some of HTC’s Sense UI tweaks though, but have downloaded widgets from the market to make up for it.

Which ones out of interest?

Have a Defy+ arriving next week and i’m new to all this Android stuff, although a friends HTC did look nice.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Standard clock widgets were better (for me), music player widget on the lock screen was good, airplane mode widget (have had to D/L one).
    You could also call someone by starting to type their name and it would offer up matches which you could then select, didn’t have to go to the call log or Contacts tab separately.
    Also miss having the 4th button for direct searching, was much easier for finding info whether it be text on a webpage/email/text, etc.

The Arc is such an upgrade from the HTC Hero though that the above don’t really matter! I’d have got an HTC Sensation but they’re just too big to hold IMO.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Sony Ericsson Xperia ARC or other Androida handset?’ is closed to new replies.