Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Songs you wish you'd heard live but now it's not going to happen.
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

Just been watching The Cardiacs ‘Is This The Life’ on YouTube.
    Can’t imagine how epic that track would have been live. Very jealous of anyone who saw them play it.
    On a slightly different note, Nirvana ‘About A Girl’.
    Not the obvious one I know, but a favourite of mine.

anagallis_arvensis

Anything by Guy Clark or Townes Van Zandt.

neilthewheel

Has Guy Clark died? We saw him just a couple of years ago. marvellous. We also saw Townes Van Zandt at Cambridge folk festival and he was so good we went back for his second set. What a dry man.
    Have also seen The Cardiacs a couple of times, most notably at the Stonehenge Festival 1984. I thought they were playing their songs backwards.
    For me it would have to be J.J. Cale, anything really, just sad I never got to see him.

slowoldman

Any Zappa track. I had tickets many years ago but some fool in London pushed him off the stage and broke his leg. Lowered his voice by a third too apparently.

The chance never happened again.

bedmaker

Anything by the Pogues in full swing. Obviously not dead, but just very broken 🙁

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Blackstar.
    I saw Bowie a few times, so I’ve seen much of the better known stuff live. Blackstar, I won’t see live. 🙁

anagallis_arvensis

Has Guy Clark died? We saw him just a couple of years ago. marvellous. We also saw Townes Van Zandt at Cambridge folk festival and he was so good we went back for his second set. What a dry man.

Guy Clark died a few months ago 🙁
    Townes and “dry” not two words I thought I’d ever see together!!
    I did see Johnny Cash live so thats one dream fulfilled!!

DezB
    Free Member

Jack & Meg thrashing “Rated X” or “Hardest Button to Button”

choppersquad
    Free Member

Can’t you can still see The White Stripes then?

wildheart
    Free Member

Bon Scott era AC/DC “Long Way To The Top ” would do it for me.

theotherjonv

The Doors doing ‘The End’

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

White Riot ,The Clash

yunki
    Free Member

Syd Barrett’s Pink Floyd would have been ace to see at one of the live shows in their heyday

DezB
    Free Member

Can’t you can still see The White Stripes then?

Not sure how… seeing as Meg quit the music business 5 years ago. But then you probably could’ve googled that before asking. (if that is actually what you meant in your strangely worded question!)

MoreCashThanDash

Anything by Queen, frankly.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I would have liked to hear “Riders on the Storm” by the Doors. Some big festival somewhere, the first time they played it too.

DezB
    Free Member

Actually… a certain Mr Hendrix… when I see him live on tv he still makes me go “Wow, what must it have been like to see that live 50!! years ago!!” Still seems incredible, so him, doing, well anything really!

Tom-B
    Free Member

^DezB +1000000!

Mind blowing! Played loads if Hendrix stuff with my band last night…..always goes down as well if not better than anything else!

jambalaya
    Free Member

London Calling or indeed anything by the Clash. Turned down a chance to see them live in their heyday and regret it ever since.

@bed I have seen the Pogues a few times over the years and they (well Shane) have deteriorated to the point its really not worth it.

Would loved to have seen the Kinks of the Beatles in their early days too, have seen Ray Davies and MCartney both excellent but not the same as the original bands.

Northwind

Blusterboy by the Crocketts. I’ve seen it live in solo shows but never the original band, not the same.

DezB
    Free Member

Mind blowing! Played loads if Hendrix stuff with my band last night…

Just put “American Landing” on me telly. Kept it on my Sky box as it’s such a perfect live recording of Hendrix at Monterey in ’67. The start of Foxy Lady, just makes me burst out laughing. Utterly amazing.

What is also amazing is how crap live recording can be on tv these days, when they could do it so damn well in 19bloody60flippin7!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I saw Zappa live. He played a bunch of Beatles covers, with amended lyrics 😉

I think Hendrix, would have to be one, Yes playing ‘close to the edge’ another.

DezB
    Free Member

Also amazing is how people with utterly different taste in music can unite in a love of Hendrix! I mean I’d rather fill my ears with dog shit than listen to anything by Yes 😆

neilthewheel

Townes and “dry” not two words I thought I’d ever see together!!

Dry sense of humour I meant!

Re. Hendrix, ther was a lovely documentary about him a year or two back where Paul McCartney described seeing him at his first UK gig in 1967. He came on and launched into a rendition of Sgt Pepper, which had just been released. Macca says he was jumping around saying “wow, wow! Jimi Hendrix is doing one of my songs!”

loughor
    Free Member

Joe Cocker anyone ?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Joe Cocker anyone ?

He’s still going… I’ve not seen anything to the contrary… 😛

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got tickets to see Joe Cocker in October. Ebay bargain.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Jeez dezb it was a genuine question…. chill out.
    Probably could have googled it but as you’d posted it I thought I’d ask you first.

nickc

Venus in Furs

DezB
    Free Member

I was chill 😆

metalheart
    Free Member

Sister Ray. Preferably a 40 min plus version like the Matrix Tapes.

Oh man…..

slowoldman

I saw Zappa live. He played a bunch of Beatles covers, with amended lyrics

I hate you. He did some brilliant covers.

barney
    Free Member

Choppersquad – Saw Cardiacs many, many times I’m happy/smug to say. And I’m not sure if it make you feel any better if I tell you that Is This The Life was not the best thing I’ve ever seen them play live – Signs, Dirty Boy, Ideal and Stoneage Dinosaurs all spring to mind. But you may or may not know that Tim Smith has actually been in the studio recently (gasp) and there is new (to us, at any rate; it was recorded in the nineties) Sea Nymphs material inbound imminently 🙂

But back on topic, stuff I love I’ll never get a chance to see live would include tunes by Elliot Smith and Phil Lynott, maybe some Gabriel era Genesis and Led Zep with Bonham on drums. Now THAT would be a festival lineup 🙂

senorj

There’s loads obviously but….Elvis Presley “that’s all right mamma”
    Would be smart.

Moses

Slowoldman:

Any Zappa track. I had tickets many years ago but some fool in London pushed him off the stage and broke his leg.

Me too. He should have played the Bristol Anson Rooms, but didn’t.
    I’ve missed out on seeing Hendrix, too – he’s the only artist that I don’t think can be played effectively by a cover band.

Stainypants

Anything off Unknown pleasures by Joy Division.

redstripe
    Free Member

Joy Division, although saw New Order back in the day lots and Peter Hook more recently playing the stuff (very well). VU references above, never dreamt I would but luckily saw them play live when they briefly re-formed in about ’92 I think, superb.

CountZero

Pretty much anything that Joni Mitchell would ever play live. Her fear of flying has stopped her travelling for years, and her recent ill-health probably means no more live performances. 😐
    Seeing the original Genesis line-up play Supper’s Ready, or Firth of Forth, or anything, really.
    I have seen Yes do Close To The Edge, and Topographic Oceans, not to everyone’s taste, obviously, but the standard of musicianship was breathtaking, Chris Squire was an incredible bass guitarist.
    I grew up on prog, the first proper rock album I ever heard at school was King Crimson, so I appreciate the skill of the musicians who play it.
    However, there was an awful lots of over-indulgent crap produced as well.
    Getting back on topic, I’m unlikely to ever hear Harvest Festival or Green Man by XTC, or Dum Dum Girl by Talk Talk, sadly.
    And the thought that I never had the chance to see Sandy Denny perform Who Knows Where The Time Goes breaks my heart. 🙁

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Songs you wish you'd heard live but now it's not going to happen.’ is closed to new replies.