Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 208 total)
  • Somethink annoying
  • DezB
    Free Member

Is this going to become the way people speak in this country?
    I actually heard a NEWSREADER on the radio say "somethink"!

Almost as annoying was Radio 1 having a feature called ‘A to Z’ and the jingle going "A to Zee"! That’s on the BBC!

Any destructions of the English language get on your wick?

Stoner
    Free Member

Should of, could of, would of etc…
    The incorrect use of "epicentre"
    Everything is a "chemical", not just compounds synthesised in a laboratory
    Many numbers can be expressed as a fraction including ones greater than 1, so "fraction of" could mean "bigger than".

and drifting off topic…

the blatant mis-use and mis-understanding of numbers, fractions, percentages and ratios. Lazy numerical journalism really pisses me off.

DezB
    Free Member

Wooosh.
    (sound of stoner’s post going straight over my head)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    5thElefant
    Free Member

The strength of the english language is its flexibility. It evolves.

It’s one of the many things that makes us better than the french.

MrOvershoot

I can think of many but two examples I find really annoying are.

"I aint done nuffink" and "innit"

racing_ralph
    Free Member

"Aks" instead of "ask" really pisses me off

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

People misspelling lose, it seems people think it is spelled loose.

I want to lose weight not loose weight. Loose weight is what you have already.
    :o)

wwaswas

I don’t care what people say, it’s the rising intonation at the end of every **** sentence that really pisses me off.

"I went to the shops"

is not a question, ffs.

DezB
    Free Member

The strength of the english language is its flexibility. It evolves.

A language should evolve to become better, not because morons can’t speak properly.

colnagokid

"us" rather than "we",
    "can us?"
    Arrrghh!!!

Dudie
    Free Member

Not so much annoying, but puzzling. I have frequently noticed news readers saying things like "An historic…" without dropping the ‘h’. Surely it should be "A historic…" or, if you’re Ray Winstone, "An ‘istoric"

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Tautology does my head in.

The most ultimate etc etc… "giving 110%" does as well, its not possible.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Oh goody, another opportunity to pontificate and feel superior!

‘Ten Items or Less’ signs; Less should be used with abstract rather than discrete quantities, i.e. less pollution and fewer pollutants.
    Person A: “I’m sat here.”
    Person B: “OK sure, but who was it that sat you there? Oh, no one, so you mean ‘I’m sitting here.”
    Gotten – on my nerves
    Who (who? What are you a bloody owl?) versus whom
    Definitely spelt definately. Definately can’t believe this one is so prevalent
    Oriented – how can you be ‘oriented’ unless your from China?
    Apostrophe’s of possession being used in the plural form of a word – let us not even get started with plural possession.

footstomper
    Free Member

Shortening Words like they do when texting really annoys me, like see you in 10 min instead of minutes 😡

This is weird, but interesting try and read it, I was surprised when I managed it without stopping to try and fathem certain words!

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too .
    Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

domino

Pacific is an ocean – specific is not!

tinker-belle
    Free Member

Using "Decimate" to refer to something being "damaged significantly" or "destroy or kill most of" – it means remove/kill 1 in 10 FFS!!!!

Sorry bad day today….

DezB
    Free Member

What’s amazing footstomper, is that you can type like that!
    (But, yeah I found it easy to read :-))

IanMunro
    Free Member

The most ultimate etc etc… "giving 110%" does as well, its not possible.

The 110% isn’t sementically incorrect though. Your assuming that 100% is the maximum possible value under any circustance, whereas it could represent a maximum based on some other metric.

Dudie
    Free Member

Used cars advertised as ‘immaculate for year’. It’s either immaculate or it ain’t.

And people who use ‘myself’ instead of ‘me’ because they think it makes them sound clever.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Sementically – is that when you get semen in your pubic hair and it tickles? 😉

Fagus
    Free Member

The truth of the matter is that I’m devastated about that. The true facts are that we are using real action to put in place somefink to help skulesnospitles.

(Is this where I say LOL?)

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Ian Munro, I hear you, in theory you can give more than you have by borrowing etc …but a sportsperson cannot give 110% effort, 100% is the most you can give.

Totally Rad(ical) is another… its either radical or it isn’t

DustyLilac
    Free Member

skellington and secutary

Also ‘in an historic move yesterday Gordon Brown announced….’

Of course it was historic, it was yesterday!!

aracer
    Free Member

footstomper – it deos mtaetr in wcihh oedrr ltrtees are agearnrd – it’s jsut taht in yuor pgprraah tehy are anraergd so taht the wdros are ulbtsrddnneaae.

DezB
    Free Member

ulbtsrddnneaae ?
    Obviously it does matter

crazy-legs

And people who use ‘myself’ instead of ‘me’ because they think it makes them sound clever.

That one crops up in Management Speak quite regularly: "If you require any further clarification please come and see myself"
    Tautological phrases such as "progress forwards" do my head in too.

miketually
    Free Member

Use of the word literally to describe something that literally isn’t happening.

miketually
    Free Member

People using ‘I’ when they should use ‘me’, because they think ‘I’ is correct.

"Why not come and see Steve and I?"

DezB
    Free Member

Mike, I’m literally with you on that one

AndyP
    Free Member

"Aks" instead of "ask" really pisses me off
    Damn right. Every hep cat kno it’s Ax.

first against the wall.

Know what really gets on my tits? The extraneous ‘ch’ in ‘research’ in footstomper’s post.

And the worst thing? The BBC are guilty of using this one frequently.
    ‘For free’.
    gnaaaaah.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

"I aint done nuffink" and "innit"

but I neva!! I fink ‘innit’ is well brill innit :o)

People using ‘I’ when they should use ‘me’, because they think ‘I’ is correct.

actually, methinks* this can be quite hard to work out in any particular context, so it counts as snobbery!

* it was good enough for ol’ Shakespeare…

IanMunro
    Free Member

…but a sportsperson cannot give 110% effort, 100% is the most you can give.

I’m sure the most winningest ones can 🙂

tomdebruin
    Free Member

it really annoys me how it says ‘favorite’ on this site 😀

ourmaninthenorth

Beaten to it (and by crazy_legs, too).

I see it lots in emails from apparently educated people. Sometimes I wonder that they’re scared of the word "me". They’re clearly not as intelligent as they woulkd like to think.

Oh, and the incorrect use of "would", "should" and "could". you know, as shown on the overblown sentence so many people use as a sign off to their emails: "I would be grateful if you could send that to me." My immediate response is to think "I could. But why should I?". Of course, what they really meant to write was "I should be grateful if you would…", thus enabling – and requiring – the recipient to send the item.

The other, and it’s much more prevalent in The North than The South, is the overuse of the progressive: "Is anyone wanting anything sending in the post?". "Yes, I’m wanting…." means "I’m giving you a running commentary on what I want without actually telling you that I want it". FFS. Idiot Northern types. Also used by the obesqueous when providing thanks "Thanking you". Arrgh.

Little of this affects (note, not "effects") our understanding, but that’s only because some of use have the brains to understand how it ought to work, but also have to compassion to make allowances for the illiterate and imbecilic.

miketually
    Free Member

actually, methinks* this can be quite hard to work out in any particular context, so it counts as snobbery!

It’s really easy to work out. If the other person or people weren’t there, would you say ‘I’ or ‘me’? That’s the right one.

"Steve and I would like you to come over" cf "I would like you to come over"

"Come over and see Steve and I" cf "Come over and see I"

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

language is what we say it is. innit.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Verbification…….

The horrid trait of taking a noun and creating a new verb therefrom.

I recently heard "We aim to incent people with….". Incent? Incense, more like. Grrrr.

IanMunro
    Free Member

People who say "I am loving that". I want to punch them in the face and see if they love that too. And people who say "I’m chilling’, or worse ‘chillax’ – spackers. In fact anyone who doesn’t conform to my narrow views on what is right or wrong in the world 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member
    Oh goody, another opportunity to pontificate and feel superior!

Oriented – how can you be ‘oriented’ unless your from China?

Apostrophe’s of possession being used in the plural form of a word – let us not even get started with plural possession.

I guess that’s an ironic use of your? And not to mention your errant apostrophe in the plural of ‘apostrophe’?

hehehe 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

The horrid trait of taking a noun and creating a new verb therefrom

Like "mountain biking", which should be "mountain bike riding"?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 208 total)

The topic ‘Somethink annoying’ is closed to new replies.