Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Soap
  • rickee
    Free Member

Where can you buy washing soap from, after a muddy ride I want to wash my gortex gear but don't want to use the expensive proprietary brands every time

Drac

I believe there's such things as Supramurkets or something, maybe you have one of them near you?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If a supermarket doesn't work, I believe there are also independant local shops that sometimes stock the little essentials in life. You might try one of these.

I've also heard of people using this thing called the internet to do shopping. Search engines such as google are often a good place to start if you go down this route.

rickee
    Free Member

It seems all washing products are detergent based now, tried the supermarkets and local shops etc

Bimbler
    Free Member

Waitrose sell pure soap flakes

Shibboleth
    Free Member

IIRC, one can make ones own soap relatively cheaply. One first must catch a wale – be careful not to get caught, the lesbians and students can be quite sniffy about this sort of thing – and render its blubber until one has a thick, creamy soap.

Japanese websites might be able to furnish you with more in-depth instructions.

stumpy01

Most supermarkets still sell soap flakes….

psychle
    Free Member

not my local sainsbury's… I too have struggled to find 'pure soap flakes' – maybe the whale catching route is the way to go? 🙂

skidartist
    Free Member

"Granny'" soap flakes should be in most supermarkets, fairly low key packaging so doesn't really jump out at you amongst the Cillet Bang and Radion

BigDummy
    Free Member

Shibboleth is correct, but the inconvenience of catching a whale can be avoided if you simply break into a lipo-suction clinic and steal big bags of human fat from their biological waste bins. The great thing about doing this is that you've always really wanted to do it and it will be an incredible experience. 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

I bought mine from one of them there new fangled supermarket things. It was with all the eco junk that uses lemon juice and the smiles from new born babies to not wash your clothes very well.

but don't want to use the expensive proprietary brands every time

mmm when you say this do you mean you don't want to use detergents that contain wetting agents and therefor break down the waterproofing of said garmets. Thats the reason for using pure soap flakes against persil* for example.

*other makes of detergents also contain wetting agents.

jond
    Free Member

>mmm when you say this do you mean you don't want to use detergents that contain wetting agents

I read this as stuff like Nikwax techwash (or whatever it's called), which is the expensive alternative to soapflakes…

grahamh
    Free Member

To make your own soap flakes you will need
    a bar of soap and a cheese grater. 😛

MrOvershoot

Gary_M – Member
    It was with all the eco junk that uses lemon juice and the smiles from new born babies to not wash your clothes very well.

😆 My sister won't use stuff unless it donates profits to tree hugging causes, and guess what, nothing is very clean in her house.

Though it was after my mother house sat for a week and boosted the profits of Proctor & Gamble, she did admit to taking all the empty cleaning product bottle into the nearest towns recycling bank, so my sister didn't know about it.

steve-g
    Free Member

My local oxfam sell organic natural washing stuff made from mud and sticks or whatever, I use it for the babies clothes to avoid the detergents. Might be worth a look

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Soap’ is closed to new replies.