Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • so what is middle-aged?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

gosh, i was drunk last night. completely forgotten i had posted this. good thread though.

it was def bowie, not a trick of my mind, it was the 1974 david live album. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Live i can even tell you exactly where i was but thats too boring.

a huge inspiration for me was the first time i did the 3 peaks in my 40th year. i was nailed when i finished, and in the results saw that a 70 year old had beat me by 10 minutes. that is truly fantastic.

also in the last issue of surfers journal an article on a guy called bob holland and some photos of him charging.. on a shortboard. he’s 81.

‘keep on truckin’ as the old t-shirts once said.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

43 at the moment, staring down the barrel of 44 – 😯

Last year for my birthday i rode the C2C Workington to Sunderland route in a day, great sense of achievement even though it knacked me out. OK, so some of you are a lot faster/stronger/more awesome but it was a pinnacle for me, 20yrs ago i’d never have been able to do it.

I notice i’m taking longer to recover after exhertion though & that hangovers are really, really something to be avoided!

Looking at doing another C2C this year, hopefully the Walney to Whitby route.

elaineanne
    Free Member

middle age : who cares, when yer having fun mtb’ing 😉 im a grandma and mtb’ing lol..grandma rides the fells…. so at age 44 what do i do wen i reach the age of 50 ? do i get into road biking or playing bowls (lol)….
    each 10th anniverary of your age rings a bell in ya head to tell you to change your sport does it ??? hahaha … im going to carry on mtb’ing and the odd bouldering/climbing as long as i feel fit….

Cougar

I turned 39 last week. Tick tock tick tock.

Someone once told me that “middle aged” is when you get your second childhood. That must mean I’m not middle aged, as I’m still enjoying my first one.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

You’re middle-aged when you have your first life changing medical event…

Not having that, I had and beat cancer twice by the age of 23, so unless I die in the next 2 years, that definatly not a good gauge.

mooman
    Free Member

I `m 40 in couple months time. And more than happy to say its middle age … but deff not old age …

Old age always seems to get reclassified the older we get.
    In your teens, 25 was old ..
    In your 20 `s it was 40

Now I put the figure at 55

lagerfanny
    Free Member

45 this summer and deffo not close to a middle aged attitude or mentality.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I thought starting drunken threads on STW was the gold standard of middle aged behaviour! so for me, must’ve been mid 30’s! yikes!

jj55

55 is old says lagerfanny 😯

I was 55 last birthday……………. omg I’m old, quick I need a Harley Davidson, hair dye and an inappropriately young girlfriend.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Nah, over 60 is old 😆 . I think middle age passed me by. I guess statistically speaking middle age should be 40-50 but never considered I was middle-aged when in my forties and now I’m too old unless I live to be 106 😉

S’funny, I remember thinking back in my late 30s that stuff took longer to heal as I got older but it’s no worse now – all down to attitude I reckon.

yossarian
    Free Member

Whenever I get pissed at being 39 I think about all the stuff I know, have learned, have experienced, all the winters I’ve seen, all of the things that have changed in the landscapes I live in and you know what? I love being in the place I am and I’ll love being another day wiser tomorrow. Youth is great but experience is better in a straight fight!

Actually I can’t remember if I’m 38 or 39 😯

Ewan
    Free Member

Life expetency in the UK is currently 80, so assuming middle age is the middle third of your life, it starts at 26.5 and ends at 53. That depressingly makes me middle age at 29.

Oh well.

chewkw
    Free Member

When you reach middle age it is time to contemplate life that you have lived so far by cultivating your mind. i.e. start letting go by living a simple life and you will see the different.

🙂

Mugboo

BNANA, that woolly vest is lovely, needs some merino wool undies to go with it though..

Simon, NO

bartat
    Free Member

I agree with MuddyDwarf, at about 42 or 43 I found I could still do most of the things I always did but the recovery time started to go up,

I think being middle aged is when you can afford the really fast car but are too sensible to drive it too fast.

Simon

Mugboo – Member

Simon, NO

Me neither, but I’m still in my thirties…………..for a few more months 😉

dekadanse
    Free Member

Me – I’m late middle aged I guess at 59. According to mamadirt I’ll suddenly get old in 5 months time. Buss pass territory. Really?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Nah, you won’t deka. Just pedal faster, it’ll never catch ya! 8)

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I’m middle-aged,50 later this year. Doesn’t matter if you’re a fat,balding duffer,or you’ve still got a full head of hair and a 32″ waist. We’re all going to wake up dead one day. Enjoy it.

mattsccm
    Free Member

At 40 you are there. No questions. The more you protest that you are 50 some thing and can still ride a bike, pull the girls and stay up all night the more middle aged you are. Sorry chaps but if you must divide our lives into youth, middle age and old then by 40 you are in the middle bit. I am 47 and feel it compared with 17. Hopefully I am less decrepit know than I will be at 70

easygroove
    Free Member

i concur with a previous poster, if you get ill, have an op etc, it really takes it out of you and i found it difficult to get back to previous weight and fitness after a 3 month layoff from exercise due to op – being 39 has something to do with that. A more serious knee op at 27 took 6-7 months to recover from but came back to be fitter, trimmer etc. Have to work twice as hard now to maintain a reasonable level of fitness

epicyclo

You realise you may have actually overshot middle age when you start getting a prize at races for being the oldest rider…

busydog
    Free Member

I’m 68, still ride at least 3 times a week—do most everything else I always did—somewhat slower, less frequently, but none-the-less, I figure that since I feel somewhat middle aged, l should live to be at least 136.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘so what is middle-aged?’ is closed to new replies.