Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • so what is it about road riding…
  • faz083
    Free Member

… that makes it so popular? I bought my first proper road bike last week, a tarmac, it’s lovely and rides beautifully. However, I took it out for an hour today and all I could do the whole time was look longingly at the hills and wish I was on them.

I was abused by car drivers, bent over in a not massively comfortable position, my thumbs went numb, my feet went numb, I didn’t even go that quick, and the ride was harsh and not particularly pleasant on the roads around here.

So what am I missing? The company, perhaps? I just found myself more and more wanting to get home and take out the mountain bike.

did I do something wrong?

crazy-legs

Give it chance, you only got it last week!
    Takes a while to get it set up right so your various bits don’t go numb and to get the tyre pressures right to knock the harshness out of the ride. If you’re on 23mm tyres at 120psi, try taking them down to 100, it’ll make a big difference to comfort with very little loss of speed.

I’m the opposite, this year (and in fact most of last year) has been almost exclusively track and road for me, I’ve hardly touched the MTB.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You expected to enjoy it………..it does’nt work like that 😐

Spin
    Free Member

Perhaps you have the same problem as me? Low boredom threshhold. I get bored riding on the road cos all you have to do is turn them pedals and make the odd steering adjustment. Yawn*.

*I hasten to add that this is a problem with me and not a problem with road biking.

jota180
    Free Member

Why did you buy the road bike?

I’d rather be on the road bike in this sort of weather, they go so much faster when it’s warm and sunny – no idea why but they do

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

So what am I missing?

That’ll be a massive dose of mtfu! 😉 😀

I have a Tarmac and the geometry is very aggressive, aimed at racing so it will tend to be stiffer and you’ll be seated in a lower, more aerodynamic position.

Do as crazy-legs suggested and maybe flip the stem to a positive rise too to get you more sat up on the bike.

Stick with it, the improved fitness you gain from it will only help you enjoy the mountain biking.

smell_it
    Free Member

If you are bored, you really aren’t trying hard enough.

faz083
    Free Member

Ok fair comments here. I bought the bike as it was something I wanted to get into, as I always watch road racing in the summer (tour etc.) and it makes me want to ride road. Sad, I know, but it’s understandable.
    I wanted to ride to work sometimes, as well, 40 miles round trip, but the thought of tackling that traffic makes me shudder!

I think I need some riding buddies. It’s easier to chat on the road, as well.

mikey74
    Free Member

Has the bike been fitted for you? This is much more important with road bikes.

I always say that if you are bored on a road bike then you aren’t trying hard enough. For me, road bikes need to be ridden at a high intensity (relative to your fitness, of course).

I agree about the roads though: I did 30 miles on Thursday evening and felt battered by the end of it. It didn’t put me off though.

Try using 90-100 psi in your tyres (if you aren’t already).

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

Pain. If you enjoy pain you will love road riding. 😀

faz083
    Free Member

Ok, i’m running them at 110, 23’s, so I will lower them a bit. It hasn’t been fitted but I am 90% sure it’s the right size, I used to sell bikes!

I suppose the big difference is that I’ve always used roads as a means to get somewhere. The start of a trail, the top of a hill for an offroad downhill part, I could go on. But now, I’m using them for going nowhere…. just out and then back. I think that’s the difference, I need to set myself an objective!

mikey74
    Free Member

Speed is the objective :mrgreen:

mrmo
    Free Member

pick the roads with no cars, little better than flying through the lanes on a warm summers day.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I ride my road bike as fast as I possibly can for a quick hour or 90 minutes, hit over 40 down country lanes, hammer back up, sick in my mouth at least once from effort, back home battered. In an odd way I really enjoy it – probably because it makes me fitter for mtb but it’s quite a buzz. I always ride road solo and mtb usually in a group.

I went out for a much longer steady ride and really didn’t enjoy it at all though. Bit boring and uncomfortable.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Little better than riding on quiet roads in the sunshine. My road bike is evil though, it just encourages me to ride faster.

cheers_drive

It does take some getting used to, but it shouldn’t be that uncomfortable after an hour. You get used to the traffic just accept that most are trying to kill you and ride defensively, rejoicing considerate driving is a much better for the mind than getting agro at all the bad driving.
    I like road riding in a club, solo ride riding is a means to an end (fitness)and I find it boring and attritional whilst doing it. Always feel good afterwards though

crazy-legs

What route did you do anyway? If it’s all main roads it’ll be horrible.

Have you got a cycle route mapping app? Select a mid point (cafe etc) say 15-20 miles away from your house, get it to plan the quietest route there and back. You’ll soon find the good quiet lanes, being on those will give you a chance to get used to the bike and to spend some time sorting the position and fit.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Sounds like you need to tweak you position.

Personally I can’t stand doing loops, they feel pointless, I feel the need to go somewhere and do something but use the bike as transport. So I try and think of something trivial that I need that is in a shop 20 miles away say then that is a 40 mile ride. Or visit a friend for lunch, make a rural route and its 50 miles say, get a train back. Makes the ride have a meaning for me.

Gribs

It sounds like you bought the wrong bike as you shouldn’t be suffering after only an hour. It also makes sense to go somewhere you actually like. I’ll ride along the valley on the roads for fitness but it’s dull. I couldn’t face the heat off road today so headed for the Dales on the road as I was still out in the countryside but could cover more distance and not get quite as hot.

mralexbenn
    Free Member

Get Strava! 😛

Sandwich

Time to learn where all the local cafes are. You can then carry out a thorough study of their cake and coffee/tea prowess. This is very important.

brakes
    Free Member

Get Strava!

+1
    flips the dullness on its head

aa
    Free Member

don’t worry about what cars do (unless they hit you). a ride to work on the road bike is one full of freedom, a vortex where you can let your mind escape from the trivial troubles in life.

while all the car trapped commuters stress about having to overtake you, your only concern will be whether to take the long way home.

stick with it, it’s just like mountainbiking but cleaner.

😀

meehaja
    Free Member

rules 5,6,10,72.

mooman
    Free Member

You bought a road bike without trying it first??
    As for – its easier to chat whilst on road bike??

Yep – great troll post.

_tom_
    Free Member

Dunno, i don’t really enjoy it loads but its better than riding our local off road as its all flat boring bridleways round here. For me its more of a fitness thing but i do get sick of it after about an hour and a half.

Haze

Rorschach +1

I found it a lot harder going than expected when I started on the road.

Soon learnt to enjoy it in a different way to my mountain bike, and love them both because of it. I get to pick which one I want to ride depending on how I’m feeling, not a bad decision to have to make…

trailmoggy
    Free Member

You do have to take your brain out sometimes, and it can feel like a chore at first…

But carry on and I’m sure you’ll learn to love it

One of the best things for me is you can nip out for as little as an hour and actually acheive something, most of the good mtb trail round me are half an hour by car away……..oh and you don’t need to clean the dumb thing every time and rinse out the camelbak bladder and clean your boots etc…”.

samuri
    Free Member

Look for better roads. Main roads are awful. Little quiet single car-width lanes which nobody uses are awesome. Especially the ones that are steep.

Also, other cyclists. They all want a race on the road. All of them. Some of them will complain on here about people shooting past them and treating it like a race. They’re the people who lose. The people who win have a much bigger smile on their face and don’t complain.

kimbers

afaic sunny days shouldnt be wasted on the roads, just ride your mtb

faz083
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input, I now feel a lot better about the next ride! I had a look (and a download) of strava for my android, and it looks great! about 15-20 ‘tracks’ in my local 3/4 miles… quite incredible! and all done about 100 times. wow.

I agree about the whole quick ride thing. I will feel a lot more up for jumping on the road bike for a spin round the block than the mountain bike. The nearest decent stuff is a good 30 min road pedal away.

And this was in no way a troll post. I suggest you research successful previous trolls before trying to pass of your stupidity as internet wit.

TiRed

I am 90% sure it’s the right size

Size and fit are not the same thing. You will still need to adjust bar and saddle height, saddle fore and aft, bar rotation and possibly location of shifters and length of stem.

I’d start by flipping the stem and getting the bars higher. Get comfortable on the hoods, then find a big hill and climb it. Ten times, then ride 20 miles to a cafe. Then 40…

Oh, and Rule 5.

faz083
    Free Member

what are these rules you speak of?!

and I will have to look at tweaking the setup. Thing is I don’t know what’s right and what’s wrong. I guess just what’s comfortable?

TiRed

The Rules. Don’t take them too seriously. Except rules 5 and 9.

As for set up, saddle level, knee above pedal spindle at 90 degrees, rough equilateral triangle between top tube, body and arms when on the hoods. And get the bars up – most people (including the pros) ride on the hoods most of the time.

antigee

well i like the mindlessness of it – simple exercise and i like being able to look into the blue distance and thinking “i can ride there” and off i go just me and a bike

downside is too close traffic – so i ride a cx which means can take some off road alternatives to link minor roads – means less litter to look at – the litter is the most depressing part of road riding for me

andyruss
    Free Member

I have to agree with the first post,l have tried the road on fantastic bikes but don ‘t get it. the lads l ride with have road bikes as do all the guys l coach. They use them to improve their fitness for xc racing,but try as much as l can it still sucks. Maybe some of us will never get it. My riding mates put it down to my distain of all things roadie.

Haze

I’d guess that a lot of mountain bikers are put off road riding purely because it’s not mountain biking. No real reason to dislike it other than they think they are supposed to.

globalti
    Free Member

We are all cyclists.

On a road bike you can pootle along enjoying the countryside and stopping for tea and cakes. Because you tend to stay in the saddle for much longer than on the mountain bike you will get aches and pains and numbness but you will get fitter.

Or you can choose a shorter route, go with a well-matched buddy and ride your bollocks off competitively for 90 minutes, take a few risks and come home feeling absolutely beasted and pumped full of endorphins.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Ive just started road biking, and like yourself love my mountain biking. It took me a couple of weeks to get the bike set up to the way i like it but now thats sorted im enjoying it more and more.. great for fitness and everytime i go out on any specific routes i just try and do it a bit quicker. I still love that adrenaline rush when your coming down a fast techy descent on a mountain bike though! 😀

crazy-legs

Get Strava!

Yes and no. If you’re still getting used to the bike and it might not be 100% set up for you yet then no, worry about the fit first.

On the other hand, the local segments may help you find some nice quiet routes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘so what is it about road riding…’ is closed to new replies.