Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • So what do I need to take with me camping (family campsite, not survival)
  • johndoh
    Free Member

I have just bought some stuff from Ebay and plan to take the family away for some camping breaks this summer – probably just a few long weekends but we may decide to do a week or even two over summer holidays.

So far I have:
    Tent
    Inflatable mattresses (but they are a bit manky so may bin them)
    Kitchen unit
    2-ring stove with grill
    Large single gas ring
    Gas heater
    Foldaway table with integral chairs
    High volume hand pump
    Electric pump
    Electric hook-up with RCD

Things I need:
    Lights – for tent and portable
    More seating
    Another table/storage area
    Cooking utensils
    Water carrier

Am I missing anything else?

Cheers 🙂

brassneck

Sleeping bags?

I like proper pillows and a duvet too but I’m a ponce 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Ahh yes, we have two sleeping bags already (me & my wife) but we’ll be needing two kiddy ones too.

brassneck

Big windbreak or tarp is handy too around the cook/eat area

2 Mallets. You wont be able to find one of them whilst putting the tent up.

2 can openers. Likewise.

Long nosed lighter for the stove (from poundland)

Nick

Alcohol
    90s Rave Tapes
    Washing Up Bowl/things
    Insect Repellant
    Solar Powered Fairy Lights

brassneck

Hot water bottles are good too actually.

for the kids, obviously 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

Duvet from you bed at home for sleeping on top of in sleeping bag, air matresses are cold.

Nick

Coolbox and ice blocks (or Frozen 1.5ltr Box of Cider works well for a day or two)

roper
    Free Member

Magnifying glasses and binoculars to see small and large local wildlife.

Nick

Earplugs and Eye mask so you can sleep past 5:30am

stumpy01

Plug in fridge if you have electric hook-up and think it’s something you’ll be doing regularly.

Bottle opener/corkscrew

Windbreak. We use one for around the cooker and a larger one to keep any prevailing wind off when sat outside.

Matches/one of those gas lighter on a stick thing.

Does the tent have some kind of ‘outside space’ like a canopy? Our tent became much more usable once we bought the canopy for it.

A couple of cheapo headtorches are always useful.

Kitchen roll

Small dust pan & brush to clean out tent before folding, if you have a sown in groundsheet.

dazh

1st thing on my list:

Buffalo mountain shirt (even in summer).

2nd:

Alcohol
    90s Rave Tapes

😀

gavinpearce
    Free Member

And the biggest car you can afford!

twang
    Free Member

Earplugs and Eye mask so you can sleep past 5:30am

Definitely this

Nick

To be fair they are quite handy if your campsite neighbour has remembered to bring their 90s Rave Tapes.

pondo

We use a powered cool box as a fridge, that’s been pretty handy – even in the south of France, it keeps meat, salad, butter and cheese etc alive for the two or three days between shops.

And the biggest car you can afford!

Mrs Pondo and I take our own tent and go camping for a fortnight every year in France, air bed (two singles), two duvets (one over, one under), four pillows, clothes tables, stove, surfboards, chairs, powered coolbox, etc etc etc AND we take two bikes – all in a Fiat Panda*. 😀

* It is, I must confessed, a little cramped unless packed with significant care. 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Mrs Pondo and I take our own tent and go camping for a fortnight every year in France, air bed (two singles), two duvets (one over, one under), four pillows, clothes tables, stove, surfboards, chairs, powered coolbox, etc etc etc AND we take two bikes – all in a Fiat Panda*.

I’m guessing you fold the back seats down? Could pose a problem if transporting children…

Our c-max is stuffed to the gunnels (middle rear seat left at home) plus a full roof box. That’s for a family of four, but does include space-hungry baby gear such as a buggy and travelcot.

stumpy01

Buffs/hats as much to keep the midges/gnats away in the evening, as to keep warm – I always get bitten along my hairline.

Citronella candles

Anthisan/Savlon and other general potions.

pondo

I’m guessing you fold the back seats down? Could pose a problem if transporting children…

Yeah, for sure – we don’t got no kids, think it would be totally impractical in a Panda if we did, but it’s just to show, you don’t HAVE to have a big car to go camping (as long as you don’t got no kids 🙂 ). Because, believe me, Mrs Pondo takes EVERYthing that isn’t screwed down. EVERYthing.

johndoh
    Free Member

We do have a big estate car and we filled it (and a roofbox) the last time we went when we borrowed someone else’s kit so I think we should be okay for space as last time we took literally everything and the girls were smaller so needed their pushchair etc (of course this time they will need bikes/scooters though)….

brassneck

Our c-max is stuffed to the gunnels (middle rear seat left at home) plus a full roof box. That’s for a family of four, but does include space-hungry baby gear such as a buggy and travelcot.

3 kids, no baby stuff and we really struggle to fit in an S Max with the camping gear! A 240L roof box makes it doable just.

Resorted to bringing less food (which means a shopping trip for someone whilst on a holiday, yuk) or ideally fewer children 🙂
    Otherwise it’s a van, I’ve now got buy-in from the CFO..

andyl
    Free Member

Bike?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Bog roll. Food and condiments. Plastic cans of water.

Spare gas cylinder?

andyl
    Free Member

Immodium

timb34
    Free Member

Insect repellent
    Woolly hats (even in summer)
    Umbrellas
    If it’s a walk-in tent then shoes that are easy to get on/off and a folding crate to put shoes in inside the door
    Headtorches – utterly essential unless you enjoy dribbling over the slightly odd-tasting handle of a torch whilst trying to do anything that requires two hands and more than ten seconds. Bring them for the kids too, or they’ll pinch yours.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Bunting, tick removers and earplugs. The rest is optional.

alisonsmiles
    Free Member

Corkscrew*

*I have no children.

Basil

Electric fan heater

Scapegoat

electric kettle and proper mugs. Forget tea made in plastic mugs from a boiled pan….it doesn’t really work all that well.

Put a blanket UNDER the kids’ airbeds, makes a world of difference, and as above, use duvets and pillows instead of sleeping bags.

If you’ve got room in the car, take a couple of carpet offcuts, one for the bed compartment, and one for inside the main area.

And finally, a couple of poundland solar path lights, place them next to the guy rope pegs, gives a comforting navigable path back from the toilet block int h middle of the night, and stops every one tripping over the blasted things every five bloody minutes. 😡

waihiboy
    Free Member

folding camping bed like this from argos…

BED

it looks like a pile of cr*p but its actually great, we’ve only done a few camping trips last year and just had blow up mattress and its amazing how much the cold comes through from the ground.

also a bag/thingymabob to carry dirty dishes cups to the sink in!

we were given 2 large polystyrene boxes with lids that we kept all food and drink in, the type of ones you see at fish markets. amazing how long stuff stayed cold with the aid of a few freezer blocks.

bag in the box red wine aswell, no faffing then for cold beers etc… (if you like red wine that is)

stumpy01

Slippers/thick socks for inside the tent…

northernmatt

If you’re only going to be doing long weekends to begin with you’ll find that you’re going to spend an inordinate amount of time getting all your kit setup compared to how long you’re there. For weekends away we decided that we either go for a camping pod or take our 4 person pop up thing and hope the weather holds out. Our big tent is huge and the amount of kit the missus we need for a week or more fills our Berlingo.

Also, you probably won’t need cooking utensils, unless you don’t have a kitchen right now. The ones you have at home aren’t nailed down so just take them with you.

Oh, and second the red wine. Nowt worse than warm beer. If you decide you want beer just buy a pack of 4 from the fridge of the nearest shop then when you’ve had them get on the vin rouge.

wilburt
    Free Member

If you’ve got a smaller car a trailer may work, it also means you can have it loaded ready to go but still use your car normally.

allfankledup

Camping trip
    Gaffa tape
    Spare Gaffa Tape
    Tent
    Carpet for tent
    Extension
    Sleeping bags
    Pillows
    Air beds
    Wash kit
    Wellies
    Waterproofs
    Cutlery
    Plates
    Kettle
    Matches
    Stove (safari chef and trangia)
    Fuel for stove
    Water carrier
    Torch
    Lights
    Sponge
    Washing up kit plus tea towel
    Swimming kit
    Dog food + bowl
    First aid kit
    Bin bags
    Towels
    Washing line
    Persil
    Table
    Chairs/stools
    Dog bed
    Can opener
    Trowel
    Midge repellant
    Coolbox/freezer blocks
    Tent mallet
    Toilet roll
    Kitchen towel
    Chopping board and knife
    Tongs
    Spoon for cooking/ serving
    Bite relief
    Plastic crates
    Travel rug
    Huge frying pan with lid

Frisbee
    Football
    Kite
    Baseball bat

jekkyl

Scrabble
    Stella Artois

bones
    Free Member

Wipes
    Skin so soft
    Whisky
    Milk powder
    Knife
    Compass
    Firesteel
    The dirtchamber sessions/prodigy album of choice
    Bear/chava trap

bensales
    Free Member

Portable toilet

Nothing worse than needing to get dressed up in the middle of the night to visit the facilities, particular if it’s one of your kids needing to go and its pissing with rain. Obviously better if you’ve got a tent with more than one compartment though.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘So what do I need to take with me camping (family campsite, not survival)’ is closed to new replies.