Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • So ukraine ? Anyone been ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Recieved an email today to the effect of i have to go to kiev and polvita and meet with a client and discuss job requirements next week or the week after

I imagine it to look like “movie” soviet state but what should i expect ?

I can see me getting lost easy as i speak none of what they speak unless it just so happens to be english ,french , spanish or dutch ( none spoken fluent or coherently but i can read enough to get by)

Better than the other option atm – nigeria …… We have a guy in there just now – he is starting to get very worried !

john-charles
    Free Member

Was there in 2008, pretty friendly place and the people are fairly quiet which we wondered may be a hangover from the look over your shoulder Eastern Bloc days.

Not sure what you are thinking in terms of your movie but the centre is a mixture of classical and modern with a few Stalinesque grey monument type buildings to remind you of the history. The national passtime seemed to be drinking beer (quietly) from one of the many street stalls that sell it, going down to the river to play on the beaches and in a heroic effort to conform to national cliche growing the best mullet it is possible to muster.

Not much written English in terms of menus etc, likewise for language but enough to get by. I enjoyed it

PaulMc
    Free Member

Spent about 8 weeks in Kiev in 1989 but don’t suppose that helps much. Beer was almost impossible to get back then, unless you were local or wanted to buy Heineken in the official hard currency stores for foreigners. That said the ‘samahon’ or ‘samagon’ (can’t remember which is the Ukrainian pronunciation) made up for it – home distilled vodka. 😈

konabunny
    Free Member

Been there quite a few times altho not so much recently. Actually really liked it. Altho I haven’t been to Nigeria and have a relatively high tolerance of developing countries, I’d probably much rather go with Ukraine than Nigeria.

Some good food. Don’t bother getting the Chicken Kyiv – it’s no better than anything else. If you’re on your own (in particular), Puzata Khata is a good place to get Ukrainian food because it’s mostly a buffet type deal (at least it was when I was there) – try the syrniki: http://www.puzatahata.com.ua/eng

Baraban was a funky little hangout too: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/ukraine/kyiv/restaurants/bar/baraban

A fair amount of people speak English if you ask around but it’s not an English-speaking place, IYSWIM.

“I imagine it to look like “movie” soviet state”

Not really – it’s pretty modern and colourful in Kyiv. Never been to Poltava but we’re just over 20 years since the collapse of the Soviet Union, so it’s not going to be like Pyongyang. (Not saying it’ll necessarily be pretty either).

Good luck. Be sure to form a personal relationship with the other side before diving into the “work” – Ukrainians are not a clinical/formal people, generally speaking (although who is?). Apologies if this is patronising – you seem to be fairly well-travelled.

alpin
    Free Member

* although!

R979
    Free Member

Visited Kiev this summer for a few days. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. We had just come from Russia and we definitely felt the Ukraine and the Ukrainians to be much more relaxed and friendly. I think we may have got lucky in the fact we found a shambolic little hostel run by a pretty cool Ukrainian bloke.

Kiev is a nice little city. It doesn’t feel too big. Has a bit of elevation change. A few nice parks. There are the obvious remnants of the soviets but I found all this quite interesting. The walk up to the Motherland statue is worth the trip.

Food is good quality and good value . There are nice little beer kiosks all over the place. Loads of places have free wifi.

Lets hope it doesn’t get spoilt after all people coming for Euro realise its a good stag destination. Part of it appeal for me was the lack of western tourists.

trail_rat
    Free Member

looking like ill be there next week

shaping up to be a pretty whirlwind tour of the country

flying into kiev then to Simpheropol for a client meeting then to chernomorsk then to a rig in the black sea for a tour. and back to simpherpol for a yard inspection.

its also looking to be very cold with -13C during the day dropping to -29C during the night – think i could sneak my sandman into my rig bag 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member
    konabunny
    Free Member

The first time I was in Kyiv the hotel was so poorly insulated I had to sleep in my full ski gear and wrapped in the carpet that had been on the floor. It was -28 or so at night. To be fair, that was because the hotel was exceptionally crap, not because that sort of thing is common (usually quite the opposite).

In summer, there are nice pavement cafes.

cove123

Read Dom Jolly’s “Dark Tourist” book he visits there and North Korea Iran etc very amusing!!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“The first time I was in Kyiv the hotel was so poorly insulated I had to sleep in my full ski gear and wrapped in the carpet that had been on the floor. It was -28 or so at night.”

in Chernomorskoe at yahont hotel the wind caused power cuts in -28

no power = no heating

so i was sleepingin full clothes , insulated north sea coveralls (think sleepingbag with arms and legs) buff over my face , 2 hats and my hood up on my buffalo and a 650 fill down jacket – and the covers and quilts off both beds……. there was ice in the room when i woke up in the morning !

getting a lift back to simferopol we were stopped by 1.5metre snow drifts in the road and ended up getting the train back – as cold as the room !

spent 8 hours waiting on a delayed flight last night due to high winds and drifting snow – scariest take off ever !
    Great fun ! – 3 more hours on the train tonight !

wwaswas

there’s Monty Python sketch just waiting to happen on this thread.

“-28, that’s nothing, I remember the winter of ’83 when I went to Murmansk, it were so cold the seagulls froze solid in mid-flight and they were grateful.”

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aye well . Poltava is lovely

Friendly people , good hotel , good restaurant town looks lovely …. I vote for my bosss to agree to let me build my tools here over simferopol !

Hopefully tomorrow i find the base is as good as the town

As an aside – i got on the train to poltava and got to my seat and the woman got up and barraged me in ukraine – i had that blank look on my face and said i dont speak ukraine ( in my best scottish tourist im lost accent) and her face lit up and she said in a perfect english accent – you are scottish ….. Chances of meeting two londoners on a packed local train to no where out of kiev !

konabunny
    Free Member

Lack of power shouldn’t have affected the power in most buildings – it’s usually gas-powered municipal steam/heat systems. Weird.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘So ukraine ? Anyone been ?’ is closed to new replies.