Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • So this PPI thing…
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I was definitely mis-sold PPI back around 1995 when I was naive and should have known better – all I can remember was my sort code and account number from that time. All other documentation has long since been lost or shredded.

I hear the banks are coming over all contrite about it today.

Of course, I have no written record of being mis-sold it – should I chance my arm with a punted letter at them? NatWest screwed me to the wall when I got into some financial bother later on and I’d love to get something back off them.

Anybody had any luck?

carlos
    Free Member

Yeah defo worth a good strong letter.

Mrs Carlos works for a company that claims back PPI and other charges from banks and lenders. It’s not a difficult process by all accounts but some people get wary of the FSA and big banks when tackling these sort of issues.

What you got to loose??

craigf
    Free Member

i think there is a limit on it, 7 years or something… if any part of the loan/whatever falls within this time period (don’t quote me on the 7 years) then there could be a claim.

as far as i understand the way it goes is if you were not offered an alternative, if you were not aware there was an alternative that could have been cheaper, then you were probably mis-sold the PPI.

i am no expert tho, just what i can glean from the guff and info i have read.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

i think there is a limit on it, 7 years or something.

I thought the recent court ruling has eliminated that particular time limit, no? That’s what had piqued my interest anyway. I could be wrong though.

craigf
    Free Member

ah, that is a possibility as i haven’t been paying close attention to the recent stuff other than generally if it was/wasn’t successful in the courts… so happy to be proved wrong!

bassspine
    Free Member

under the recent court ruling there’s no time limit and the banks have to contact the victims. That’s why it’s so surprising that they didn’t appeal (it was on R4 today so it must be true)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So, I’m at a completely different address to any I was with before my relationship with NatWest ended. I guess it’s up to me to write them a wee letter.

The reason I feel I was mis-sold, btw, in case anyone thinks I’m trying it on, was that the bank manager in the branch did the “well, if you weren’t to take it out, I’d have to question whether you will get the loan or not…” shtick even though computer had already said “yes” and I being young and naive, fell for it. And she was bloody fit.

Drac

No time limit ay, blimey this time next month I could be a millionaire if I ever get my self organised or care enough to get sorted.

jon1973
    Free Member

so would you just get back the money you spent on the ppi or is there some element of compensation as well? just out of interest, don’t think I’ve ever taken out any ppi.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve no idea jon1973…if I just got the PPI itself back, I’d be happy enough with that. Unfortunately, I was never able to hit NatWest for all the charges they bolloxed us up with as there was a time limit on those but this time, I’m getting every penny I can out of them.

It’ll pay for a wee weekend break 🙂

bassspine
    Free Member

if you’ve ever had a loan or a credit card, chances are you have had PPI

sockpuppet

if you’ve ever had a loan or a credit card, chances are you have had PPI

unless you’re one of those tedious people who actually read and think about small print.

oldgit
    Free Member

We had mortgage payment protection. When I lost 98k and my wife became ill after an opperation we called it in. No chance, they then called for the last twenty years of medical records even though the policy was less than ten years old. My wife has been ill since her teenage years and always proffered that information as well as acurate details. Plus I was self employed. My wives illness and me being self employed meant we would never see any payouts, even this info was asked for and given to my bank.

We got what we paid in, but that didn’t really help. We thought we were covered, but talk about moving the goal posts.

We also cancelled my wifes life insurance as it was very clear it would never be paid out in the worst eventuality.

In the olden days I think they called it fraud or racketeering.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that oldgit. Feel guilty for whinging now. Squeeze the bastards I say.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘So this PPI thing…’ is closed to new replies.