Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • So, tell me about televisions
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

I got one of these at John Lewis after spending a few hours looking at the picture quality of many. You will be surprised how different the images look on differant brands.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-L32V10B–inch-Widescreen-Freesat/dp/B002688SOO/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1289833122&sr=1-22

CountZero

I bought a 40″ Bravia a couple of years ago after using a 32″ Philips CRT for around twelve years. Two things; go a lot bigger than you think you need, the aspect ratio means a 32″ is about the same height as a 21″ CRT 4:3. Second, check the contrast ratio, and get as high as possible, then find setup suggestions on the web and spend plenty of time tweaking the picture, using programmes filmed out of doors as much as possible for getting flesh tones right. Studio lighting can do weird things to the colour. I got setup suggestions for mine, then went back and adjusted three or four times until I was happy with the picture. Watching true HD 1080p is a real joy, especially wildlife/natural history stuff.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

The LG LD450 arrived today and got to say its the biggest crock of shit that I have ever had the misfortune to buy

Cannot get a sharp image no matter what settings are tried and there is an awful lot of background digital noise too.
    Not a patch on my old Philips CRT or the cheapo Tesco LCD in the back room

All packed up and being returned post haste whence it came for a refund. Might try another one from Tesco, can’t be any worse than this thing and sure it will be much better

As mentioned earlier the picture quality was probably a good match for the programmes

Tijuana – always worth a look on here…….

AV Forums – extensive LG LD450 thread

Spongebob
    Free Member

You will be surprised how different the images look on differant brands.

It’s almost impossible comparing picture quality!

You weren’t comparing all the sets plugged into one comparator where you Soma?

Did you optimise the settings for every TV in the shop?

Did you check to see what resolution of image you were viewing?

Did you swap round any of the feeds to see if the poor quality moved with the cable?

The LG LD450 arrived today and got to say its the biggest crock of shit that I have ever had the misfortune to buy

Didn’t you see it working before you bought it?

[/quote]Cannot get a sharp image no matter what settings are tried and there is an awful lot of background digital noise too.

Is that from the inbuilt tuner? Were you watching Freeview, or analogue? Were you using an external source?

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Didn’t you see it working before you bought it?

No, bought it from Amazon, reviews were good and people on here mentioned it as good value

[/quote]Cannot get a sharp image no matter what settings are tried and there is an awful lot of background digital noise too.

Is that from the inbuilt tuner? Were you watching Freeview, or analogue? Were you using an external source?

Tried it with the inbuilt tuner watching digital and analogue too, also via the BT Vision box connected with an HDMI cable

Maybe just a wrong’un, but it was totally crap

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

After the LG disappointment decided to have another try

Bought a Toshiba 32″ from Tesco’s for 299 quid and its so much better, can only assume that LG was a friday special. Sound is a bit tinny, but wasn’t expecting much and easy enough to put through the external speakers
    Set a limit of 300 quid and reckon this one will do, not great TV watchers so that’s more than enough cash to spend on a goggle box

One other point, went into Comet’s asked about their returns policy and basically they don’t have one.
    Tesco give you until January to return a TV for a full refund if not satisfied

No surprise who we bought from, Comet must be one of the very few shops to operate such an inflexible policy, so just buy online from them if you must and use the DSR legislation

donsimon
    Free Member

One other point, went into Comet’s asked about their returns policy and basically they don’t have one.

Yes they do, it’s statutory.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

No they don’t unless the product is faulty, I clearly mentioned “not satisfied”

Returns unless faulty are not statutory, more of a goodwill gesture

Very much doubt the salesperson would say that if it wasn’t true

RichPenny
    Free Member

Very much doubt the salesperson would say that if it wasn’t true

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Ha. No idea in this particular case, but salespeople are not generally known for their honesty!

donsimon
    Free Member

Fair enough on the not satisfied, but even then you might have recourse. Assuming you’ve had an opportunity to see the TV in the shop, you are in a position to accept or reject before paying. However if the conditions at home are different to those in the shop I believe you would have a legitimate claim, but the term would probably have to be agreed before the sale. So yes, you’re right on the satisfaction thing…

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Ha. No idea in this particular case, but salespeople are not generally known for their honesty!

Totally agree, but in this case it was more likely to mean it would put off a potential buyer so would have to assume its correct.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Update – took the plunge and got a Sony 37″ TV to replace my 26″ Loewe LCD.

Sony Bravia 37″

Loving it! Its connected to the internet and I can watch BBC Iplayer in HD and get a poor selection of films from Lovefilm. The EPG is much better than my old TV and the picture is great. Really impressed.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘So, tell me about televisions’ is closed to new replies.