Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • So last night's Sheffield Access group meeting
  • Pook

Interesting evening all in all, personally I like the Lady Canning's idea, but feel that as a group there's more we could do if we can maintain the momentum and support.
    Who was there?

antigee

couln't make it because nobody would have thanked me for coughing manflu germs but will next time

– made a personal conribution to the Sheffield ROW review and when i get some other stuff shifted supposed to be working with local sustrans people out here to the north on trying to find a route/funding for extending the Penistone Rd/Beeley Wood route onto the TPT at Oughtibridge (non hardcore but joining up stuff is a big deal)email is in profile
    edit no its not edjhome (at) aol.com Ed Jones

cp

Unfortunately I couldn't make it as had another meeting which over-ran. Will certainly be interested in playing an active part in any future meetings/stuff.

Chris

Pook

Well there were about 40 people there – a good start

jackthedog
    Free Member

What was discussed? What was the purpose of the meeting?

Pook

I wasn't running it, i just went along…. this was the agenda….

– Background on the group, why it came about, purpose, why it is a good thing, how it fits in with other groups in Sheffield
    – Links to ride the peak group
    – Trail upgrades/downgrades/ surfacing – Why – Council Stance on this etc
    – Potential Building in Lady Canning
    – Parkwood Development (Jon Dallow – Parks and Woodland)
    – If you are part of any other groups in the area, please feel free to add your bit in here…
    – Your ideas, suggestions, etc
    – AOB

9 ish onwards – have a drink, hang out etc

As i have mentioned before, this is a group which is essentially focused on advocacy, with a good background and approach and sensible ideas and the sheer numbers of mountain bikers in the area we have a much greater influence on potential changes in the area.

ahwiles
    Free Member

from my interpretation:

Sheffield council likes mountain biking – they want to encourage mountain biking, but they're not sure what to do – they know they don't know, so they've started asking Henry Norman who works for sustrans, he's one of us and thinks we need to be more organised and vocal in any council / rights of way stuff that will affect mountain biking.

sheffield mtb access might be a good way to achieve that.

the lady cannings / parkwood springs things aren't grand plans of world domination, but seem to me like a demonstration of the councils good will.

i think we should welcome them. the council have asked us to play, i don't want to dissapoint them.

(a good way to start is to join the facebook group – so henry can start talking numbers in his meetings; 'i've got 500 mtb'ers who all think this bridleway work is ace / pants' – etc.)

DWH
    Free Member

Is this about increasing access (e.g. footpaths -> bridleways) or about building stuff in woods?

Or both?

ahwiles
    Free Member

mostly representing the views of mtb'ers to the council / whoever,

Henry said 'i don't see us a trailbuilding group' (like singletraction), although some trails may get built…

example: if 'we' can say legitimately that 'we' represent 2000 sheffield mtb'ers, the council might listen to our requests to extend a bridleway up loxley valley, or listen to our requests to go easy on the resurfacing.

Henry / John were very keen to express how positive the council is feeling towards mountain bikes.

i got the feeling that it's mostly about representation, but i for one would love to see more twisty woodland singletrack, and i'd love the chance to get my hands muddy in the name of new trails.

cy

I was there. I'd echo exactly what awhiles said. It's about representation and lobbying, and actually having something approximating a single voice for MTBers in the area. A good thing, and I shall certainly be continuing to support it.

cp

is the group called Sheffield Access Group on Facebook?

ahwiles
    Free Member

'sheffield mtb access'

discussed last night was the possibility of a website, or whatever, but right now the facebook group is where you're looking, there's not much on it, but 1 more name in the group is a good thing.

thefallguy
    Free Member

just joined the facebook group, one more voice and all that!

amodicumofgnar

A lot of people with a lot of healthy relatively sane discusion.

Thought it was a good start, got a bit mired in ladycannings for a while and suprisingly short amount of time on bikers are all individauls. Didnt descend into Monty Python – which is good, some days you just want to get hold of people and go do you want to ****** argue about who's the more individual or do you want to pull together get out and get something done. Its a lot easier to make a case when you can go actually me and that army, we would like…

matthew_h
    Free Member

I was there. Thought it went pretty well and seemed to be more productive than I expected it to be although it took about 90 mins to finally get round to what the group is actually being aimed at after a fair bit of distraction (Lady Cannings etc) which I probably didn't help really.

Fingers crossed we can pull together to get Mountain Bikers represented properly.

thepodge
    Free Member

I was there, i'm still sceptical of a possible council funded trail in a tiny square of woodland that's surrounded on all 4 sides by existing access routes and a youth / beginner skills area that might be good when Sheffield tip closes in 8 years, but… hopefully it can lead to better things before we're all riding hover bikes.

oh and was this thing given a name? i know "ride Sheffield" was mentioned a lot and there is the facebook name but were there any firm decisions?

FOG

Could someone please post an early warning for the next meeting with time venue etc. I would like to attend and I suspect I missed an earlier posting giving info. Thanks

thepodge
    Free Member

there is a website and mailing list on the way

simonm
    Free Member

Sorry I couldn't attend.. I meant to go and say something about Wharncliffe in the "f you are part of any other groups in the area, please feel free to add your bit in here…

But there isn't much to say at the moment except plans are afoot.. as always, but this time the wider FE are involved.. so expect more, just not very soon.

Pook

Are you part of the wider FE Simon?

thepodge
    Free Member

I thought you were there to be honest, there was some very pro / disheartened Wharncliffe guys

18bikes

hey,

Good meeting, all in – although I think people got a bit hungup on the Lady Cannings idea, which is really just one example. I'll be chatting properly with Henry as to how we can take this forward/form the group properly and link with RideThePeak.

I've looked into proper constitution – looks fairly straightforward, comments/experience is that this is the best way to get other bodies/funders to take us seriously. Again, I'll discuss with Henry and feedback.

Facebook group is growing – this'll be main communication point for now – over here

I've just posted the agenda for the next Blacka Moor RAG meeting – any comments to me please, i'll be there – Henry seemed keen too.

Cheers,
    Si

simonm
    Free Member

Are you part of the wider FE Simon?
    no pook, just a digger 😉

duncan

If SimonM was part of the wider FE, Wharncliffe would be like Glentress, Gawton and Trail-X all rolled in to one by now 😉

Just to add to what Si@18 said, the facebook group has had it's name changed to Ride Sheffield (the link still works though). Also just in case anyone reading this doesn't do facebook, here's the contents of the last message sent round by Henry:

– ridesheffield@googlemail.com is address for now or until impeding web stuff.

– It would be great if you can all email the address so i can start building the contacts that way. Just say hey and if you've got anymore to tell me, let me know

– Those who put their hands up wanting to be more closely involved, please can you let me know who you are (did'nt think that one through eh!)

Finally the point of Ride Sheffield is the power of the collective weight of sheffield's mountain bikers, regardless of area, type of riding, experience etc – So a bit like Jamie Oliver – pass it on, spread the word (no need to cook tho)

thepodge
    Free Member

I'd like to say this again because everyone seems to keep missing it but some one is already using the name "Ride Sheffield" and has been since last year. Maybe time to think up something original then i can finish the website / emails / mailing list etc

simonm
    Free Member

hehe Duncan, not far wrong 😉 maybe a bit of Inners thrown in too.

antigee

"Ride Sheffield"

already used

"pors" – pedal off road sheffield – well at least someone answered!
    then again couldn't mke the meeting

or back to the mtb sheffield thing at end of the day mtb means something

problem is bike and ride get a bit confused with motorbikes and horses

thepodge
    Free Member

I'm probs meeting up wi Henry next week to finalise this then its all systems go

thepodge
    Free Member

here is a work in progress website – http://ridesheffield.blogspot.com/ – there is a lot more content to add and quite a few tweaks but you might as well all start using it. still to come: trail mapping, mailing list, discussion forum and more

southernsteel
    Free Member

How about Cycle Off Road Sheffield- CORS? I think it sounds good. I've just joined the FB group too. I don't think I'll still be in Sheffield by the time any of this gets done but I'm all for trying to help.

thepodge
    Free Member

i like that

jimmy

Facebook's not showing the group up when I search for it – anyone got a link? Or send me an invite – James Hatfield. I'm ice climbing in a red jacket on my profile picture. Ta.

EDIT: I live in Edinburgh now but from Sheffield so keen to support this.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘So last night's Sheffield Access group meeting’ is closed to new replies.