• This topic has 58 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • So I've just spent £900 on our 1st dishwasher. Am I mad?*
  • m1kea
    Free Member

Been twatting around with white goods window shopping since Xmas and after much faffing, decided to go for a ISE D243w.

No I’d never heard of then either but after an inordinate amount of interweb geeking a la the typical bike speccing, I decided I liked the sound of their business practices and build quality.

As part of these searches I discovered a lot of stuff about shonky white goods and building to a price. If you’ve nothing better to do of a Friday eve, start doing some “What washing machine / tumble dryer / dishwasher?” searches.

Should fit in nicely with the STW mindset. 😉

* = or have more cash than sense 😆

banks
    Free Member

Would of cheaper to get a mail order bride…

allthepies
    Free Member

or have more cash than sense

this

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cinnamon_girl

Why. ❓

Northwind

You could have bought a car for that!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Washing up liquid = £1

That leaves £899 for bike related fun.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I know it’s a dishwasher but i’d want it to LOOK better than that for a G, or does it have something I can’t see?

grantway
    Free Member

Very. Bosh is probably if not one of the best and very reliable

m1kea
    Free Member

banks

I won’t mention that to Missus A 😆

allthepies

for sure a cheaper one would probably do just a good a job and potentially not go t!ts up but hey I like shiny toys.

Cinnamon girl

Why not? Last year I reckon I spent about £6K on bike stuff and in the scheme of things, that’s not very financially astute if you consider cost versus actual usage.

Ironic that we live in a small house and drive a 8 year old car. You’d normally put this sort of behaviour down to a Audi driver in middle England 😉 😈

Northwind

We already have a car

leffeboy

Very. Bosh Miele is probably if not one of the best and very reliable

I was very curious about ISE as well but not 900 quid curious. Usual rule is buy a good make with as little functions as possible as in the end you only use one setting

drlex
    Free Member

Hope you have a better experience than I did with a similarly-priced Fisher & Paykel “dish drawer” unit from John Lewis – didn’t last a week. Beko replacement was under £200 & is now in fourth trouble-free year.
    Assume that they’re like the ISE washing machines – unsophisticated but designed for easy repair & long length of service.

richmars

That website seems to have worked for you.

m1kea
    Free Member

drlex

I saw some F&P a few years ago and thought they looked very nice. I’ve since learnt they’re err, not that reliable.

Oh and we’ve been a Miele household since 97. – A change is as good as a rest and all that.

All joking apart I do like the sound of ISE’s philosophy but hope never have to check their after sales support.

br
    Free Member

I was very curious about ISE as well but not 900 quid curious. Usual rule is buy a good make with as little functions as possible as in the end you only use one setting

Yep, and Bosch seems to work. On our 2nd, 1st one lasted five years with 2nd one now in its seventh year. Total outlay £500.

drlex
    Free Member

To be fair to F&P’s pricing, it was effectively two small dishwashers in one appliance space. Glad to have had the hassle-free JLP warranty- “please come & pick it up and refund me.” JLP: “Yes; we’ll be there on Friday”.

Had toyed with getting an ISE washing machine after the not-cheap (£600) Bosch went TU after three years. However, with daily washes backing up, I bought the best value machine in stock at the local Comet, which was a £200 Zanussi. Now in fifth year with only a failed door lock (£15 pattern part & 2 minutes to swap), so I’ve switched mind set to a “buy cheap & cross fingers”.

scaredypants

If I had the space I’d have 2 cheap ones (or 2 expensive ones I suppose) and just alternate clean storage and dirty pots

We now have a Bosch – hasn’t broken down but still doesn’t do the drying very well, jsut like the previous cheapo

Drac

Very. Bosh Miele is probably if not one of the best and very reliable

Had our Bosh for about 3 years now it replaced the quick purchase of a hotpoint, we wanted to see if we’d use one, that last about 4 years but had problems every other week. The Bosh never falters, rarely gets blocked and if it does it’s because the wife has chucked in dishes without clearing food off first. Cleans everything brilliantly pans, oven rays, plates and glasses. Cost about £400 I thought that was expensive.

hitman
    Free Member

yes

midlifecrashes

Our Miele is sixteen or seventeen years old now, we were debating it the other night. Probably jinxed it now.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Only thing I can contribute is Richard Head. 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

Same as i paid for all my appliances – all bosch and all a+++ rated.

daveagiles
    Free Member

Hope they put your cash towards proof reading their website.

trail_rat
    Free Member

O h and a 900 quid dishwasher had better be so silent i can sit in the kitchen and have a conversation when its on.

Drac

£900 for a Bosh?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Integrated Bosch here (replaced 7 year old whirlpool).
    Very quiet and does the wash in 1:20hrs.
    Happy.
    £900 you say? …. Hmmmmm.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well done, whatever floats your boat innit. Hope you have many hours of not washing up!
    I just gave our dishwasher away cos we got a new kitchen & had used the D/W about 4 times in 3 years.
    (I actually swapped it for a case of Stella)

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

you’ve obviously spent the money already, so you can afford / justify it. many people can’t or won’t. Many people can’t afford £6k in biking gear either. Horses for courses.

chiefgrooveguru

I almost bought one of their washing machines but then ours didn’t die (despite the apparent death throes). I like their ethos and the fact they’re properly built to last and thus should be good value in the long run.

john_drummer
    Free Member

£900 for a dishwasher?
    Fool
    Money
    Easily Parted

falkirk-mark

Another Bosch 6 or 7 years old and only cost about £300.

avdave2

Beko replacement was under £200 & is now in fourth trouble-free year.

And should it develop a fault that will burn your house down you can be sure that Beko knew about it all along but decided not to mention it to anyone.

mau00149
    Free Member

We had a hotpoint dishwasher and when it died no idea of age as was in the house when we bought it (guessing 8 years maybe). For a replacement, we thought it a wise investment, as would last for years and could take it with us, we bought a miele. Doesn’t wash the dishes anywhere near as good as the hotpoint did. Not very impressed to be honest given the cost! Certainly wouldn’t purchase again!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’m just astounded that there are companies out there with so little pride in their products that they are willing to put live Web content as badly written as that ise garbage.

And doubly astonished that there are other people willing to pay them over the odds for their products in the desperate hope that their engineers are somehow better than their wordsmiths.

Hum

cinnamon_girl

Yeah, it’s a funny one with white goods. I always used to rate Miele having had a few of their products for years and ex ended up with them.

I bought new Miele fridge/freezer, washing machine and vacuum cleaner. Both fridge/freezer and washing machine needed repairs after two years, which is pretty poor considering it’s only me that uses them.

Miele quality has gone down over the last 12 years or so, imo.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Holy crap that’s a lot of money! is time so precious you have to gain back those valuable minutes even from doing a spot of washing up? I find a sink, a few plates etc, a bit of warm water and some suds quite theraputic myself, it takes a few mins. Even if I won the lottery I can’t see myself getting a **** dishwasher, unless I bought a restaraunt/hotel or something! I can think of 100 better ways to blow 900 quid!!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Oh and we’ve been a Miele household since 97

Oh sounds awfully spiffing and….at the same time quaint.

igm

That ISE seems bit noisy compared to a Bosch (and I’ve yet to fail to get 10 years out of a Bosch – with exception of the one I had to leave in he house we just sold)

Tom-B
    Free Member

£900 is probably 40-50 years worth of washing up liquid, and doing the dishes takes what, 15 minutes?! I’ll keep spending 70p every fortnight on washing up liquid and spend the rest on bikes/booze!

cinnamon_girl

Yeah, you could get some nice forks for that!

igm

Or you could buy a special drivetrain components washing appliance that goes under the work top in the kitchen…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘So I've just spent £900 on our 1st dishwasher. Am I mad?*’ is closed to new replies.