Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • So is skype as free as it seems?
  • Kip

As the title says. Want to set up video chat with parents and in-laws so they can see new child when it arrives. Skype video calling seems to be free. Do I just need to download the programme and follow the instructions or do I need to have money in an account? Only want to video link not make calls.
    Cheers

cp

well, you need a webcam!

But aside from that, the service itself is indeed free.

GrahamS

Yep free as in beer.

They need to install it as well. And you'll need a webcam and a decent internet connection.

iDave
    Free Member

very free for video chat and can be cheaper for phone calls overseas too

Kip

Cheers, I thought so but wanted to check. Is it easy for complete technophobes to use? In-laws not the most technically minded!

nbt

Remember that MSN Live messenger and Google talk both offer video messaging / chat too, it doesn't have to be skype

IA

IIRC does google talk not offer video chat in the browser now? Just from in gmail, could be an easy option? Mind, my parents use skype fine, so it's not that hard 🙂

cheshirecat
    Free Member

It is indeed free for Skype to Skype calls (including video) – use it all the time. Calls to a phone are cheap, but not free.

My in-laws use it, if that answers your technophobe questions.

Paul

neilforrow

Kip, done this with my m&d and my wifes m&d, both don't 'do technology' and the can use it no probs. Results vary with connection speed and hardware, but free to use (apart from the cost of the internet connection) no ad' either.

Neil

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I would have said MSN video messaging would be easiest for them.

MrNutt
    Free Member

unless they had a mac

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Msn works on a mac dunnit?

allthegear
    Free Member

On a Mac, MSN messenger didn't use to have video calling. As it happens, just today they launched a beta of the next messenger that does include video. Looks to work fine.

ex-pat
    Free Member

Free, and easy.
    The only pitfall that my parents had (and a mate for that matter) was that in installing the camera there was another video chat applet that loaded. And if that was running it took control of the camera…
    It's been a common thread when we've skyped that they've had sound but no picture. Trying to explain that they have another application using the camera is hard, normally they reboot and all is good.
    So, advice would be to only install drivers for camera if at all possible, not the extra junk that comes with it…

Other than that, most excellent, and I'm using it in Kubuntu too, so good on Linux (and sends to PC)!

TooTall
    Free Member

MS Messenger would be my recommendation – largely because of the 'Remote Assistance' built into it.

If your parents are being techno-biffs, talking them through every wrong mouse click will send you nuts. Having them let you drive their computer from your end and doing it yourself will save you hours and days of frustrating 'no, right click' conversations.

*remote tech support to parents for years through this medium*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘So is skype as free as it seems?’ is closed to new replies.