Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • So, if you've bought a house in the last year or so…
  • chakaping
    Free Member

…would you mind saying how much under the asking price you paid?

And perhaps which county it was in and what sort of price?

Just curious as we’re thinking seriously of moving and the market has changed dramatically since we last purchased.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

250, dropped to 235 guide, paid 205

i guess onlt time will tell if i nabbed a bargain. though i dont intend moving anytime soon + love the house and location so much im not really bothered. my quality of life has improved vastly, and thats hard to put a price on.

Leicestershire area

Edit: Was buying without a chain so made it significantly easier to put a price in & sit and wait. Took the vendor a month to accept my 2nd & final offer.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

brought a brand new house paid 210 did part exchange so the developer brought my old house for 113 and 11 months on they still havn’t shifted my old house live in Essex

ojom
    Free Member

June 2010 Offers over up here – we aimed only to look at fixed price houses but the one we wanted was offers over.

Paid £326,326. offers were invited over 295. We ‘won’ by £326.00

However, there are heaps of fixed and offers around deals in edinburgh now whereas before there were barely any.

ebygomm
    Free Member

115k asking, paid 101k – Nottinghamshire

FTB, probate sale

Bregante

Asking price was 225k. Paid 195k Manchester June 2010.

brakes
    Free Member

I’m in the process of moving
    London market
    sold for £25k over
    buying for £10k over

29erKeith
    Free Member

In Hampshire, went to bids, won at 40k over and settled at 30k over after survey. Not a particularly special property but a fairly rare location, same house where we live now would be 40% less

SaxonRider

Original asking price was 201000, but had dropped to 152000 by the time we viewed.

We offered 149000 because we figured it had come down enough, and got it for 151000.

It’s in a great part of Cardiff.

yossarian
    Free Member

First on the market at 275, we bought for 237. Mind you our previous house went on at 195 and we sold for 187.

No intention of moving in the next 10 years, 300 yards from a great primary school and 2 minutes from the beach!

(east Kent coast january 2011)

JohnClimber
    Free Member

£250,000 had to pay the asking price to get our dream home.
    Zoopla say’s it’s only dropped buy the price of a good new bike, so no worries

saxabar
    Free Member

Was on at £230,000 and I ended up paying £200,000. Who knows whether it was a good idea but I’m very happy here (in Gwynedd, North Wales).

Bear
    Free Member

yossarian – where bouts you be then, do you ride with a local group?

(sunny Folkestone for me!)

magowen100
    Free Member

Bought about two months ago – asking price when we viewed was 160, we bought for 104.
    Area – North Pembrokeshire.

rOcKeTdOg

asking price 189k, paid 162K september just gone, in the NW Alps (Northern Woo)

probably worth 150K by now!

ourmaninthenorth

April this year. 3% below asking price. But, factor in it being a one off (so not easily compared) house, tiny village (less than 30 houses) and in a v desirable part of West Lancs. TBH, getting a discount was good going.

TiRed

7% under – both sold and bought. Windsor. Far too much 🙄

matt_outandabout

On market for £125k, paid £108k. Perthshire, October 2010

yossarian
    Free Member

Bear – I’m in Tankerton, near Whitstable. Used to ride with a couple of groups but fatherhood/unsocial hours means I’m on my tod mostly these days.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I win 10 % over asking price and still the cheapest by well over 100K so far – it was stupidly priced to start with [ repo] and about 25% cheaper than other smaller houses in the street at what i paid
    Dont expect to make anything but cheaper than renting so it does not really matter if I can only sell it for 10 p at the end.
    EDIT; ok still cheaper than matt

ChrisA
    Free Member

Asking price £160k paid £141k Nottingham April 2011

Vendor needed to sell.

molgrips
    Free Member

Saxon – where in Cardiff?

ebygomm
    Free Member

I win 10 % over asking price and still the cheapest by well over 100K so far

You don’t win the prize for reading the thread unless you paid less than 500 quid for your house 🙂

totalshell

bungalow rochdale 135 asking paid 95 terrace rochdale asking 105 paid 90 both to rent and keep as part of my pension. both distress sales following death
    both given new kitchen/ bathroom/ combis stripped and decorated, rented as soon as made available * terrace was rented to a lass that knocked on the door as we were decrrating..

grantway
    Free Member

OK just bought a One Bedroom terrace freehold Bungalow in Alicante Spain
    (short break holiday home)
    We was able to knock off 18,000 € euros.

SaxonRider

@molgrips

Very close to Llandaff Fields.

Harry_the_Spider

£315k – £277.5k

Reign_Man
    Free Member

up for £260K, made an offer of £210K, they declined the offer, 6 months later they phoned up and said they would like to accept our offer if was still on the table. Should be in next month.

qwerty
    Free Member

We sold for 10k less than we wanted to in March. Just spent 6 months using up a relocation package on rent and in the 9 months we’ve been looking we have seen vast drops in house prices before they actually sell, we have seen a few drop 70k (initially 320k) before they sell. In the end we approached the landlord and brought the rental property, not quite the bargaining position we envisioned being in, but after 9 months of looking it was the one that ticked the most boxes. Worked out well time wise in the end. Plus for us its a long term home (once the DIY & building work is done). Lots of estate agents still marketing average houses at boom prices, the only ones which go quickly have to have a usp or be priced according to the slow market.

totalshell

the majority of house for sale in rochdale are distress sales. the prices asked are high to re coup the money the sellers owe or think they deserve from grandmas estate.
    eventually though necessity takes over and they price to sell there is a bungalow opposite the one i bought marked at 135 i bought a better nieghbours for 95 8 weeks ago. the owners are now in a home and the costs / outlay thus far means that the equity in it is almost negligble.
    i re housed a family recently where the bloke was a leaflet poster he’d got a 120k mortgage on a self certed mortgage when in fact he barely earnt anything. they left the house, it was sold for 65k by the building society.. ouch.

takisawa2

Up for £2,675k…paid £2,450k…South Kensington/Chelsea.

Yeah right. 😆

Rich_s

Was originally on at 318; proper sh1thole. Dropped to 300, then 280, then 260. We went in and got it for 235 in May 2010(divorce sale – we FTB). Tidied it up and revalued at 300 in Nov 2010.

We offered on another place at the same time (probate, 300k, we offered 250k) and it stayed on the market for another 18 months before being sold for… 250k.

chakaping
    Free Member

This is fantastic, thanks everyone.

I’m realistic that while my house was valued up to £280k a year or so ago, it’ll probably get stuck at the stamp duty barrier of £250k.

But it’s encouraging to see that London and the South seem strongest, because my place is close to a fast train to the City and we’re probably moving way up north.

Cheers guys.

Rich_s

Sorry, forgot to say this was in Wirral. The houses round here that are priced to sell, sell. The other stuff is just sitting on the market and not moving. Take every advantage of breaking chains if you can…

woody2000

260 asking, paid 240k. Brighouse, west York’s. May 2010

Dogsby

I bought a wee cottage near Dumfries. They originally wanted overs over £135k and we got it for £110k. It is 15 mins from Mabie, 10 mins from Dalbeattie as well as being in striking distance of three other ‘Stanes’ so it clearly priceless!!

Dogsby

TomB

Bought for 10% under, sold for 6% under, lake district so slightly odd market

Bear
    Free Member

Yoss – know it reasonably well, friend just moved over that way and have done a bit if work in that area (Graystone Rd)

In fact not many parts of Kent I don’t seem to get into.

chakaping
    Free Member

TomB – We’re looing at Cumbria (outside the National Park) so very interested in your experience/knowledge of the housing market up there.

Kendal is our most likely destination. I’d like to go for Cockermouth but don’t think I can swing it as too remote.

uplink
    Free Member

We looked at one as a buy-to-let last year when it was on the market for 165
    We offered 130 and was turned down, they then must have hat it repo’d or handed the keys in as we then bought it off the building society for 110 last month

I reckon the market value is around 130 but as ever, you’d need to find a buyer with the funds

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘So, if you've bought a house in the last year or so…’ is closed to new replies.