Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • So…. Doing something for charity
  • ianpinder
    Free Member

I’m going to be doing the 2012 Tour d’Afrique to raise money for charity, now it is quite expensive, I think it will cost me in the region of around £15000 once everything has been paid for…. I plan to raise a similar amount through fundraising to split between three charities.

The actual race entry fee is £8000 (the profit of which goes to there charity) would it be fair for me to suggest that 50% of the donations up to the value of the entry fee go towards the entry cost then 100% of everything over £8000 goes towards charity.

So basically, if I get £10000 worth of donations, £6000 goes to charity and £4000 goes towards the entry cost.

But if I get £14000 worth of donations, £10000 goes towards charity and £4000 goes towards the entry cost.

Also, is there any website which allows you to collect donations online and split them like this and between 3 different charities…..

druidh
    Free Member

Pay the costs out of your own pocket and then whatever else you raise can go straight to the charity. No reason anyone else should part-fund a holiday for you.

iDave
    Free Member

No way would I donate anything to your holiday. I’ve done things overseas in the past to raise money for Leukemia research, and will be doing again in June but I fund the entire trip so 100% of donations go to the charity. I don’t have the cheek to do it any other way. Just sayin’ like.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ton

both idave and druidh are correct.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Entirely your own choice as to how you do the split, but like iDave no way would I pay for someone elses holiday, or expect them to pay for mine.

j_me
    Free Member

i’ll sponsor you £10 for you not to do it leaving you free to donate your £7k to charity.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Whilst I don’t disagree with you, have any of you ever sponsored someone to do a sponsored skydive, or run a marathon for a charity, or anything else like that? As the moeny they raise pays for the activity they do….

j_me, it would be my £11000 to charity too

ianpinder
    Free Member

ton

most people will have sponsored someone.
    but to pay for the trip out of sponsor money is not on ian.

druidh
    Free Member

I have,and I’ve been sponsored for similar events. However, I always pay my own costs. I’m probably doing a LeJog in June, for Marie Curie. £2k minimum entry fee will be from my own pocket and if anyone wants to give me more, that’ll just be extra for the charity.

Of course, there is an argument that I should simply give them the £2k and do a ride without their backing/support…………..

donsimon
    Free Member

Whilst I don’t disagree with you, have any of you ever sponsored someone to do a sponsored skydive, or run a marathon for a charity, or anything else like that?

No.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I amwith the others on this. #want to raise money for carity do something useful not have a holiday.

One of the things I look at with charities and donations is how efficient are they ie how much of the money raised actually goes on good works. On this criteria these things are a big failure.

Stay at home and do something useful where the costs are low – and no – I don’t sponsor folk to do fun things unless tey pay the whole cost themselves

Sam

Whilst I don’t disagree with you, have any of you ever sponsored someone to do a sponsored skydive, or run a marathon for a charity, or anything else like that?

Yes, but they pay the cost of the sky-dive, marathon or whatever it might be. So basically you cover all the costs of the trip (i.e. £15k in your case) and people who are impressed with your feat of stamina and the cause to which you will donate money for undertaking said feat may give you money for doing so – that is how charity fundraising (at least should) work.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Like I said, I don’t disagree with you, just trying to guage public opinion as it varies from person to person.

I’m with you guys on this, it’s just someone suggested what I mentioned.

j_me
    Free Member

Total cost to me £15 000

Race Entry £8 000

50% of the donations up to the value of the entry fee go towards the entry cost.

So if you raise £16 000 through donations you recover your race costs.
    Net cost to you £7 000

Druidh’s approach is better, and I think you should ride with Marie Curie’s support as without your support they wouldn’t run these events.

palmer77
    Free Member

Look through the travel magazines and see how many travel companies are set up so people can ‘help’ poor people in foreign lands by teaching them English and the like. If you want to enter the race do so, why should any one else pay for you? Sorry

ianpinder
    Free Member

Race Entry £8 000
    50% of the donations up to the value of the entry fee go towards the entry cost.

So if you raise £16 000 through donations you recover your race costs.
    Net cost to you £7 000

50% of donations upto the value of the entry fee of £8000

so £4000…..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don’t really understand what you mean by the numbers – £8000 entry cost but it will cost you £15 000

But however you look at it spending £15 000 to raise a some thousands is very poor value for money. Just give the £15 000 to charities. work for that time and give a decent % of your earnings as well – the charities get more money because I doubt very much you will raise anything like £15 000 in donations

paulosoxo
    Free Member

However you do it, just make sure that you’re upfront with people from the start. I was asked if I wanted to do Kilimanjaro a few years back, I didn’t because I couldn’t afford the cost of the trip from my own pocket.

However

http://www.justgiving.com/paul-oxberry is all going to just giving to do their thing with, My hotel and entry fees have already been paid for by me

j_me
    Free Member

Got you…although I don’t think that’s clear.
    I’ll sponsor you £15.71 no to do it then.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I looked at the just giving pages, it only allows you to select one chairty….. are their any others which allow you to select three

But however you look at it spending £15 000 to raise a some thousands is very poor value for money. Just give the £15 000 to charities. work for that time and give a decent % of your earnings as well – the charities get more money because I doubt very much you will raise anything like £15 000 in donations

I’d like to think I will

paulosoxo
    Free Member

ianpinder – Member

I looked at the just giving pages, it only allows you to select one chairty….. are their any others which allow you to select three

I would imagine that you would have to set three up and let people decide where their money would go, unless JG could issue the money on your behalf

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ianpinder – I bet you would like to think you will – but I bet you don’t even come close – and even if you do its still less than 50% efficient ( as the charities you give the money to will spend some on overheads as well)

Have you ever done fundraising? £15 000 is a lot for an individual especially as most folk will think like us on this

ianpinder
    Free Member

TJ, your probably right, though there is nothing like a bit of optimism to help the cause.

iDave
    Free Member

I turned myself inside out on my last trip had newspaper, radio, social networking coverage, and raised just shy of £1500. It’s not an easy thing to do. But not impossible either. But if anyone gets a sniff that they’re contributing to an amazing adventure, which you’ll love doing, it will be a long slog. You’re starting with objections before you start on the main task.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I ran a marathon for charity once – raised a couple of thousand for cancerbacup as they were then. I paid for my own entry fee and any other cost that was involved. Ran another a couple of years later and managed to raise a whole £250 despite putting more effort into fundraising. I doubt very much that you would get anything like the amount of sponsorship that you would require for it not to be a holiday and for the charity to get any sort of decent amount of money.

Harry_the_Spider

The first HtN with 450+ entries, T shirt sales, raffles and donation only just turned over £14k. THe charity donation after costs was about £6k. Your figures look optimistic.

I’m doing a week in Tenby in September if anyone wants to sponsor me. 😉

matthewjb
    Free Member

The times that I have done this sort of event I have covered my own costs.

Although the costs haven’t been on the scale you described. Probably a few hundred pounds.

I think the way these sponsored skydive events work is that the costs are already covered. But to take part you have to raise over a certain amount of funds. But obviously the costs of organising a skydive are fairly low per person.

Given the scale of the fees I think people would be reluctant to cover the costs.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

K’off and pay for your own holiday.

AlasdairMc

Good response! My work are offering a Kilimanjaro trip, saying you pay £300 deposit then raise a minimum of £4k for Save The Children. However, it’s only when you look into it in more detail that you see that only £2300 goes to the charity. I was tempted to register until I found that out (I thought my work would fund the trip), I disagree completely with paying for someone else’s holiday in the guise of charity.

cinnamon_girl

I just wish people would consider good causes closer to home.

There’s so much in the U.K. that could benefit but, of course, it doesn’t carry the ‘kudos’ that an overseas ‘mission’ does. 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

Just sponsor these guys instead
    http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/theepictri
    http://theepictri.com/

They’re doing something truly impressive which isn’t anything at all like a holiday – I along with many others have been out with them along the way, and can tell you for sure that they really have suffered for this. Due to finish at Westminster in the next hour or so.

Oh, and they may not have totally paid their own way, but that’s only because lots of friends have supported them for free.

No apologies at all for the hijack!

Cletus
    Free Member

I think that the proposed trip is a real challenge – would love to do it myself.

I would sponsor you for a reasonable on the basis proposed – it is something that needs a hell of a lot of guts and determination to complete, the charities would benefit considerably and I would enjoy following your progress.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

aracer – that is not hugely expensive to do either Some challenge. I’d still rather they did something useful but at leat that is not spending huge amounts of money

ianpinder
    Free Member

Tj what do you call doing something usefull.

Aracer thanks for posting that they did well and raised a large amount of money.

Hopefully I’ll achieve something in that region.

The 3 charities I’m going to donate to are lupus uk, cancer research uk and wateraid.

Those that don’t know about the race, it’s 12000km long over 4 months 94 riding days and 25 rest days averaging 120km a day with the longest day being 207km and the shortest 78km.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Doing something useful

1) doing something that actually improves thing – sponsered litter collection of local trails, that sort of thing

2)not spending huge amounts of money to raise a much smaller amount

3) not creating a large CO2 output to do your “charitable thing”

Have a bit of a think about the reactions you have got on here. Your chances of raise a couple of thousand are low, of raising £15 000 next to zero. This is precisely ‘cos people are fed up of folk like you wanting a exciting holiday and dressing it up as “doing it for charity”

Put your ego away, put your desire for a holiday away and do something useful ad green that does not cost thousands

Cletus
    Free Member

TJ,

Leaving aside the charity/holiday arguments do you not think there is a value to challenging yourself – getting out of your immediate area and broadening your mind through experiencing other cultures?

If I was interviewing for a job and had two equally skilled candidates but one had done this type of trip and the other had never ventured outside their hometown then the former would get the gig.

Suggest that you read something inspiring such as Endurance

and get out of your little bubble.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cletus – indeed there is – but not in the guise of doing it for charity. I have done more of this sort of thing than many folk have from unsupported trekking in Bolivia to riding a vintage motorcycle to Moscow before the end of the USSR 🙂

I jut think its wrong to spend £15 000 to “raise money for charity” Give the charity the £15 000 instead.

Edit -thats a reason do do something not to pretend its for charity. Thats a reason to do it for you.

I #was asked by folk if I was doing some of the things I have done for charity – the answer was no. The one thing I did which was of that ilk I self funded.

donsimon
    Free Member

If I was interviewing for a job and had two equally skilled candidates but one had got money from other people and done this type of trip and the other had never ventured outside their hometown then the former latter more honourable one would get the gig.

Can someone sponsor me to do an MBA?
    If it’s to enhance your CV, pay for it yourself… 🙄

ianpinder
    Free Member

1) doing something that actually improves thing – sponsered litter collection of local trails, that sort of thing

What makes you think I don’t do this already

Put your ego away, put your desire for a holiday away and do something useful ad green that does not cost thousands

You assume I don’t do anything for charity already…..For some reason you seem to think you know me, which you don’t so you put your ego away and stop assuming you know best.

I’m going to do this anyway regardless, so why not raise some money for charity, or would you prefer me not to bother?????

Can someone sponsor me to do an MBA?
    If it’s to enhance your CV, pay for it yourself…

Where did anyone say they were doing this to enhance their cv. Cletus wa talking about the effect of doing this, not that it was the cause for doing it

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘So…. Doing something for charity’ is closed to new replies.